Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Puff Daddy »

Georgee Paris wrote:Also the lack of ambition may make one or two better players think - you know what... I don't need this.

Not just a few players. Christ knows why Bilic sticks with it
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Don't panic.

Zabaleta will raise the spirits around the camp.

Hardly any teams have signed anyone yet, we have signed a quality RB who will add to the team on and off the pitch.

Antonio will be delighted, atleast.

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

somerset-hammer wrote:Don't panic.
Hardly any teams have signed anyone yet, we have signed a quality RB who will add to the team on and off the pitch.
The right back debacle from last season cannot be overestimated.

It caused problems and knock on effects from the Europa League matches onwards. It never left. And set the tone for the most part of the season.

He is a very important signing.

Bilic said they would buy two or three players that can go straight into the first team and have a first team impact.

That's what I will judge the transfer window by. If they don't do that, then people can rightly get a bit miffed. But no judgement can be made till the season starts/window closes. It should always be that way.
Adie64
Has liked: 462 likes

Post by Adie64 »

:thup: well said David Cross, couldn't agree more.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

So just because the other teams haven't made any signings, does that mean we should also do the same? :eh: you all seem to forget we have far more important positions to sign than a lot of other clubs.

EVERY season since G&S have been here we have gone into the season still looking for a striker. That's up to 4 matches potentially thrown away while we show a lack of urgency. Slav hit the nail on the head when he said if you want to sign a quality striker you have got to go in early and get it done. Have we done that this summer with pre-season training starting next week? Have we f*ck.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

It's still only June and people are complaining that we haven't gotten a striker early enough. I get that people are nervous we won't land anyone but the lack of patience is getting absurd.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Why do people find it hard to understand that our money bids for quality players who would go straight in our first team will be getting turned down until the selling teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, etc) get the players they need in those positions. It's a chain reaction. Constantly moaning won't change this fact, so patience is needed.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

funky chicken wrote:So just because the other teams haven't made any signings, does that mean we should also do the same? :eh: you all seem to forget we have far more important positions to sign than a lot of other clubs.
There a few positions that we could do with upgrading, but the only important position we need to fill urgently, is up front..

We aren't in Europe, so we can afford to take our time and hopefully make the right signings, rather than panic buy.

I haven't seen anything yet, to suggest we aren't doing anything else other than taking our time to sign the right players.

The silence from the club this year regarding transfers, is refreshing and would point towards them working hard behind the scences to get the business done.

We have improved a vital position in the team which has hampered us for years, and now we are clearly trying to improve another position which has also held us back.

As long as we make the right signings before the season starts then I see no need to panic.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Until a rival signs a striker we want we've got nothing to worry about.

Everton have been very active this window but they're spending the Lukaku money, much like Tottenham did with Bale.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

funky chicken wrote:So just because the other teams haven't made any signings, does that mean we should also do the same? :eh: you all seem to forget we have far more important positions to sign than a lot of other clubs.

EVERY season since G&S have been here we have gone into the season still looking for a striker. That's up to 4 matches potentially thrown away while we show a lack of urgency. Slav hit the nail on the head when he said if you want to sign a quality striker you have got to go in early and get it done. Have we done that this summer with pre-season training starting next week? Have we f*ck.
its still june....players on holiday with their mate / wives / kids...maybe it happens when they get back? maybe its been done and will be announced when they get back

also, as much as i want a striker...i still point to the fact that we had the 2nd worst defence in the league last season...all the talk of a striker is pointless to a certain degree...we could have had ronaldo or messi, wouldnt have stopped us shipping 4 or 5 goals on the 10 or so occasions we did last season...
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:It's still only June and people are complaining that we haven't gotten a striker early enough. I get that people are nervous we won't land anyone but the lack of patience is getting absurd.
With the history our lot have got of sorting this position out people have got a right to be concerned about it

It actually reminds me a lot of last close season on here with people telling everyone to calm down as we hadn't done much business before the players came back, and that ended appallingly.

How about we allow people to rightly be concerned after witnessing some shocking transfer windows?
Last edited by Ozza on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

davids cross wrote:Bilic said they would buy two or three players that can go straight into the first team and have a first team impact.

That's what I will judge the transfer window by. If they don't do that, then people can rightly get a bit miffed. But no judgement can be made till the season starts/window closes. It should always be that way.
Always. Spot on DC.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Come on.

It's only taken us about 5 years to get a right back.

We'll have a striker ready for the 2020/21 season.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Peaches wrote: We are most likely going to sign a central midfielder, 2 strikers and a winger, and also possibly a goalie and a defender.
My first somewhat realistic choices are
Gk: Bentley
D: One of Smalling, Mawson or Ake
CM: Lemina
W: Josh or Jacob Murphy
CF: Giroux, Walcott
Unless there are planned exits I honestly dont get the need for any new personnel defensively. Left side fine, right side fine, centrallly we have Reid, Fonte, Ogbonna, Collins along with youth players such as Burke. Dont get the Smalling link.

Two strikers and an attacking midfielder are all that are needed;

20 mil for Giroud and a 45 mil double swoop for IIorente and Sigurdsson - good to go
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

still early days. of course it would be good to get deals done early however giroud and bats wont move until their clubs have made their signings. Ileanacho is different as he clearly has no future at city .

We have RB covered with zab and sam this will mean we will improve defensively no more antonio kouyate or nords there.

get the two stikers in and we are a much improved team.

Not sure about walcott would rather have another young CB in. Oxford not ready yet. burke on loan.

another creatibe midfielder would be good as we will be stuffed if lanzini gets injured.

early days yet. holiday coming up and I wont start to panic until this time next month
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aston Villa keen on Snodgrass

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... r-13255147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

L'Equipe saying that Lyon and Marseille are after Giroud.

We won't get him I think.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:L'Equipe saying that Lyon and Marseille are after Giroud.

We won't get him I think.
Have never considered us a likely destination and will refuse to believe otherwise until I see him hold a shirt up.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

davids cross wrote:That's what I will judge the transfer window by. If they don't do that, then people can rightly get a bit miffed. But no judgement can be made till the season starts/window closes. It should always be that way.
I don't disagree. You'll know I've always been of that mindset.

It just gets a little tiring when you tell yourself this, with your sensible hat on, every....single...season, only for the beast within to reveal itself on deadline day.
mushy
Has liked: 656 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

thejackhammer wrote:Until a rival signs a striker we want we've got nothing to worry about.

Everton have been very active this window but they're spending the Lukaku money, much like Tottenham did with Bale.
Barkley is also off.
Bit of rebuilding going on there.