Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

jonbentleywhu

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by jonbentleywhu »

StackerJJ wrote:Opinions hey,

I dont think i have seen enough to say Pickford is better than Hart
I dont think Coleman is as good as Zab even at 32
Keane I dont have over Reid and I dont have Jagielka / Williams over Ogbonna either
Baines is marginally better than Cresswell (was much better a few years back)
Sneiderlin/Gueye are no better/worse than Obiang / Kouyate
Lanzini is better even if they sign Sig
Antonio and Bolasie similar
And they have us in depth in the forward role however I would back Chicharito if he stays fit to bag more goals than any one of Evertons forwards we are also still in the market for another forward so lets see who we bring in.

I'm not saying we are better but we are definitely not in a worse position team wise than Everton thats for sure.
if our defence is better than theirs how do you explain the fact we conceded 20 more goals than them last season?
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

if we sign carvalho i will never speak a bad word about our owners again. We need a DM badly, and imo he is one of the best in europe. hes a beast
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

RayleighHammer23 wrote:I’m not sure I will ever understand why people care what nationality a player is, they are all mercenaries and will leave for more money or prestige if the opportunity arose, even English ones.

“Local” players would be all kinds of nationalities these days too.
True they are all overpaid prima donnas but it definitely mattered to me that our Captain and longest serving player is from a mile down the road from me.

Always thought that connection with us was something to hang on to, even though we all know the reality of football now is that we have nothing in common with the players.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Dissapointed to see Lanzini will miss the first two games. I'm excited to see us linked with Carvalho, I really hope we make a serious effort to sign him instead of bidding below the asking price just to make DS look good.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

swash wrote:Ken Dyer now running with the Carvalho story

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 08516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why is the transfer dependent on player exits?

Wouldn't it be nice if the board extended their arms into their own pockets once in while :thdn:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Aceface wrote:Noted midfield apostrophe merchant Steven N'Zonzi has handed in a transfer request at Sevilla. The skinny seems to be he wants to go to Juve.

The defensive midfield merry-go-round kicking into action?
He's not really been a defensive midfielder for Sevilla - bit more box-to-box for them, I think. In fact, a big part of his career up turn has come from his different role for them.

The Guardian had a good article on him earlier this year covering the fact that his role changed, originally under Hughes at Stoke, but then continued to develop at Sevilla - https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -leicester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article also says he still speaks with a certain Terminator we've just signed...

Lanzini missing the first two games bothers me, but I think we'll cope just fine. Stick Ayew in the centre of the attacking three (if we are going to have an attacking three) or draft Fernandes into his role if he was going to play deeper. The latter is a bit of a step down, but I think the former probably makes us a bit more of a goal threat.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

jonbentleywhu wrote: if our defence is better than theirs how do you explain the fact we conceded 20 more goals than them last season?
You defend as a team. It's not a case of going through each defender man-for-man and rating each of them, this isn't FIFA.

They have a very good set of defensive midfielders that protect that defence, we do not. That is (IMO) why we conceded more than them last season. As well as the fact our pressing game and ball retention high up the pitch was non-existent.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

BREAKING NEWS

We understand West Ham are interested in signing William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon.

The midfielder wants to move to the Premier League and has a £40m release clause in his contract, which has three years left to run.

Carvalho has been linked in the past with Arsenal and Manchester United.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Unfortunately I think this is exactly what it is, token bid for a player we are never going to sign. His release clause is £40m, we've offered £25m, it's just not going to happen and I don't believe we have the money to go near £40m.

That said it is encouraging that we are looking for a DM so hopefully we will bring one in more in our budget before the window closes. Will make a huge difference to our defensive frailties.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3032 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

swash wrote:Ken Dyer now running with the Carvalho story
That's as close to an official; club statement as you'll see .IMO Ken Dyer is solid on West Ham .
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

This is lining up for Wilshere on loan...
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

I would be over the moon with signing Carvalho, can't see it happening though
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Big difference between 'being interested' and 'bidding', isn't there? I imagine we'd also be 'interested' in signing Messi.

If Carvalho wants to move, he can (and likely will) move for less than his release clause. As we've seen with Neymar, the club oftens sets these at a level they view as prohibitively high, sometimes even above the actual valuation, as a deterrent. The reason Neymar moved is because PSG's owners pretty much poo cash so could pay this ridiculous buy-out clause. There are instances of players moving fairly often for less than their contracted release clause - in fact I think there are very few where they actually move for that amount.

For example, Iniesta's release clause is £177m - but entering the last year of his contract, factoring his age and injury issues over the last season, I'd be surprised if (were they to sell) Barca would get a sixth of that.

Turan's supposed to be moving to Galatasaray and I doubt they're paying his £110m release clause. Deulofeu's release clause is currently £31m despite Barca only paying £10m for him.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

leer34 wrote:Article from dyer more importantly states lanzini misses first 2 games ffs.
FFS. Headbanger
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3499 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:And Sam's been with the team all preseason?
He followed them on tour, I'm not aware of him having any other relationship - perhaps you know better?
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:This is lining up for Wilshere on loan...
dont say that, he struggled to get in bournemouths team
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Cresswell's average tackles is around 1 per game or less, this hasn't changed in any season we've had him, he has always been like that, you people just saw it more because the rest of the team was bad as well
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

NottingHammer6 wrote:I would be over the moon with signing Carvalho, can't see it happening though
if he wants a move to the PL, i can see it happening. purely because the top 7 are all sorted in that department so wont be spending 38m on him any time soon.
saying that will our owners spend that big on that position?
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

I bet if we have a transfer window where we sign William Carvalho, Pablo Zabaleta, Joe Hart, Marko Arnautovic and Javier Hernandez people will moan that we will have not signed a second striker :lol:

Two weeks before Hernandez signing we were assuming we'd only get one of Hart, Arnautovic or Hernandez.

Root cause is, fans are unhappy with the board (rightly so based on the past) and are unwilling to see that maybe they might have noticed it but cant fix everything overnight.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

When I opened this thread I assumed everyone was talking about Ricardo Carvalho, to partner Fonté at the back.

And I think that is much more likely than us signing William.