Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Redkanpps dog

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Redkanpps dog »

You can't make a profit on every player you sell. 4m whether it's £ or € is decent (wages permitting) for a player we got on a free and has been mostly naff when he's played for us this season.

Transfer markt has our purchase of Enner as the record fee at €15m so there's no way if he goes back to Mexico we're making a profit.
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

Weird, just clicked on the official site and it still says 'Havard Nordtveit has completed a transfer to German Bundesliga side Hoffenheim for an undisclosed fee.

The Norway international midfielder, 26, returns to Germany a year after leaving Borussia Monchengladbach to sign for West Ham United on a free transfer.

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... kXUjSyz.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ' :eh:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Chuffster, why you scratching your head as the paragraph makes perfect sense to me.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Georgee Paris wrote:I suppose this is quite sensible really, creating space in the squad and freeing up wages.

You're not allowed to praise our transfer business, what do you think you're playing at?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Chuffster, he joined us on a free transfer last year from Monchengladbach, we haven't let him go on a free.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Given that Bilic has pretty much given Fernandes assurances that he'll get more playing time this year, it's likely that Nordtveit wouldn't have got many minutes at all.

He was never going to replace Fonte, Ogbonna, Collins, Reid, Kouyate as players at the back. Or Noble, Obiang, Kouyate, Lanzini and Fernandes as players in the middle of the park.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Cheers hammerman

Was scratching my swede
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Hayden wrote:Those saying one of the worst ever; either you've only been a West Ham fan for a year or after years of trauma you've blanked a lot of players out of your mind.

Good luck to him.
I saw Mike Newell play up front for us. & Benni.

You are correct
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

That's not bad business at all - wether we got a fee or simply freed up wages.

With regards to not turning a profit on Valencia - players are effectively assets and in any business it's rare to turn a profit on an asset. Asset depreciation is something that our CFO will have factored in to his numbers. The figure suggested for his sale actually seems reasonable given that we've had a few years out of him in one form or another.

Finally, he might've arrived on a free but Rat remains the worst first team signing of the last few years.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Arbeloa was worse than Nordtveit and that's only from last season.
Bantastic

Post by Bantastic »

CMNinja wrote: Finally, he might've arrived on a free but Rat remains the worst first team signing of the last few years.
Worse than Pogatetz?
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

-DL- wrote:Chuffster, why you scratching your head as the paragraph makes perfect sense to me.

It's the heat! :D
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

^^^^ Easy cop-out...
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

So we've given Nordy back to Germany for free, we've loaned Ox to M'Gladbach, rumor has it we'll sell Valencia back to Mexico for a loss, and Spiegel is reportedly ready to sign in Belgium for what will likely be a modest fee.

Meanwhile we've still only brought Zabaleta in on a free.

Have I missed anything?
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Another positive move after the recruitment of Zaba, a good loan move for Oxford and the shedding of Westley and Hendrie (only seen that in The Mail).
A couple of spaces now free in the 25, but anyone considering the ditching of Randolph/Snodgrass/Collins/Byram should note our senior quad list now numbers only eight home grown.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

yes, the date. I don't get why people expect deals to be done by this sort of time, especially if it's players where several clubs are probably interested and it's not a simple transfer to complete.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:So we've given Nordy back to Germany for free, we've loaned Ox to M'Gladbach, rumor has it we'll sell Valencia back to Mexico for a loss, and Spiegel is reportedly ready to sign in Belgium for what will likely be a modest fee.

Meanwhile we've still only brought Zabaleta in on a free.

Have I missed anything?
Yes. Nordy didn't go on a free. :o
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

only1post wrote: A couple of spaces now free in the 25, but anyone considering the ditching of Randolph/Snodgrass/Collins/Byram should note our senior quad list now numbers only eight home grown.
Good point. Fletcher rumored to be on the way out, too. Does he count or is he too young to be counted?

I have a feeling we'll end up splashing the cash for Hart, sell Adrian and keep Randolph on as a backup. I don't think Collins or Byram will go, either.

Snodgrass is the question mark, for me.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Roger Johnson in his preferred position was easily 4 times worse than Nordveit out of position.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Probably the most surprising thing about last summer's signings was how unsurprising it was when they didn't work out. It makes me suspect that too many of them were in our sights more for financial reasons or because of their stats on paper than due to shoe leather scouting.

Tore, Nordtveit and Calleri in particular were exactly as they looked elsewhere just from viewings prior to arrival. Tore obviously had the Bilic link so probably wasn't scouted per se, and I can't imagine anyone sitting watching Nortdveit and Calleri in action and recommending a PL level club sign them.

I can, however, imagine someone hearing "Bosman from the Bundesliga" and "top scorer at Libertadores" from an agent and consequently trying to play catch up on YouTube in lieu of real scouting over a period of weeks and months.
Last edited by Aceface on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.