Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Any striker who can play consistently for us would be fantastic at this point.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Traditionally West Ham are only able to sign a player of Giroud's quality if there's a major reason bigger clubs aren't interested. Given the alternatives (massively injury prone, bad influence on the dressing room, likely to go on strike etc), I'd say being just the wrong side of 30 is the probably preferable. If we want to bring players that will significantly and immediately improve the side, I'm not sure we can afford the luxury of considering sell-on value.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Giroud reputation wise would arguably be our biggest ever signing .
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Anyone got that book by J R Hartley?
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Georgee Paris wrote:Anyone got that book by J R Hartley?
R U Fishing.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Well please name me a bigger signing we've made than Giroud ?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Just from arsenal or any team in the world? Ian Wright and Freddy Lundberg or Liam Brady.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Giroud would be bigger than Lundberg .Wright was 35 and I kind of meant in recent memory well last years25 years at least .
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Tevez would be only one ,but he was only 22 and not known in Europe at the time .
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Hernandez is class , such a good player and judging on his performance today v Portugal I would love to see him playing for us, pace , strength andd instinctive scorer.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Giroud's all round game would benefit us massively. He isn't a prolific striker, but he creates a lot of space and opportunities for those playing off him. Just look at the change in Walcott in Giroud's first season. The main downside is that he is about as quick as me, but we have pacy options who can play off him (and seem to be trying to get more).

We must have a chance as not many teams who would want him are in a position to pay his wages.

Cost and resale value are fairly irrelevant when you are talking about a player of his ability as we should benefit from finishing higher (more prize money, attracts better players etc.)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

61dicksey wrote:Hernandez is class , such a good player and judging on his performance today v Portugal I would love to see him playing for us, pace , strength andd instinctive scorer.

I'm watching that too, but there's no sign of that Mexican speed merchant winger, we were supposed to be linked with, whom earlier in the window, we were told is a regular in their team. I can't remember his name, what was it, ? you know, ...... erm Guacamole
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Giroud, but he's not going to be a lot of use isolated up front! We ,also need an "Iheanacho" or a pair of goalscoring wingers (Antonio being one) If it's just Giroud,some three legged headless chicken,a can't be arsed Ayew and a light weight Feghouli - We are no better than the team that played last season with a fit Carroll in,imo.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

bubbles500 wrote:Giroud reputation wise would arguably be our biggest ever signing .
Shorts-wise, it would probably be Razor Ruddock.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Do you reckon they long it out when signing players in the summer so that they don't have to pay wages for the 'wasted' early weeks before the season starts?

No idea if there's an historical trend like that but it seems like something they'd definitely consider. Makes some sense to be honest but not if it means you miss out entirely on the player. Wouldn't be surprised if that's happened before
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Can't be arsed Ayew?

He's one of our most hardworking players. Don't get that comment at all.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

wildkard wrote:Can't be arsed Ayew?

He's one of our most hardworking players. Don't get that comment at all.
TBH i stopped reading at three legged headless chicken! I think alcohol is involved
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Do you reckon they long it out when signing players in the summer so that they don't have to pay wages for the 'wasted' early weeks before the season starts?

No idea if there's an historical trend like that but it seems like something they'd definitely consider. Makes some sense to be honest but not if it means you miss out entirely on the player. Wouldn't be surprised if that's happened before
They are well meaning, but completely out of their depth, when it comes to recruitment,imo.They are obsessed with a "marquee signing" , there appears to be no coherent transfer policy - Bilic wants a striker, Sulli blunders through, but with no conviction to the signing and then gives Bilic the final say - Which looks suspiciously like "It's him or nothing!",most of the time
The money is being spent, but on "desperate signings" - We are heading toward a situation with 6-7 players on north of £40k a week that are "not good enough" to be in the starting eleven! This is a job for a DOF to sort out ,not some multi millionaire playing FIFA 17, with a hint of "small man syndrome",imo.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Based entirely on the YouTube highlight reels Traore looks to be technically superior to Onyekuru. The space Onyekuru is given due to defenders fear of his pace is amazing. He won't get space like that here to chase 10 yard passes to himself.
Also Traore would have better stats if the strikers he has been playing with had a football brain (or could even kick a ball in a couple of cases). Playing with players of a higher standard / ability may suit him better.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Sully shouldn't be involved in anyway in selection of players tbh it's only one step from picking the team .Negotiations once a player has been identified then fair enough ,but even that's debatable tbh .If I bought a top class restaurant ,I wouldn't be in the kitchen every five minutes .I Actually employee someone who knew what they were doing .He defo gets some kind of buzz out of it ,but that's the sort of character he is .