Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Aztec Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote:

West Ham's new offer for Carvalho is €35m plus €5m in add-ons and 15% of next sale clause.

Total 45 Million, how come if he is THAT much I never seen or heard of him. :eh:
He's a very well known player.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

We need Jota to give competition on the wings. We have also been deprived of a long haired player, for far too long.

I was hoping he would Bishop-esque, but he is one of the most left footed players I have ever seen.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Apologies if this story has already been discussed -

On Tuesday [ yesterday ] Jornal De Noticias were running with the story that West Ham were interested in signing Carvalho's team mates Adrien Silva and Joao Palhinia - they're also running with this story today saying that the Carvalho transfer is now looking unlikely but we're going to sign these two instead .

Other sources are going with what Ageing said - €40m bid has gone in for William Carvalho today .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

ageing hammer wrote:

West Ham's new offer for Carvalho is €35m plus €5m in add-ons and 15% of next sale clause.

Total 45 Million, how come if he is THAT much I never seen or heard of him. :eh:
He has often been linked to top clubs over the past few years. Very well known player who I'd have thought is a level above us. Let's hope we pull it off, he's exactly what we need in midfield
Emj

Post by Emj »

ageing hammer wrote:

Probably because you don't watch much European or International football. Or follow non-West Ham transfer gossip. He has a pretty big reputation
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Interesting stuff re. Brexit-induced currency issues for transfers. This will be true of negotiating for Carvalho too, even if it's not deliberate.
As sterling fell this week to its lowest value since Britain emerged from the financial crash, the consequences for top-flight clubs have been laid bare by the ongoing haggling over the future of Ajax’s Davinson Sánchez. Ajax have been insisting on increasing their asking price to reflect the day-by-day fall in the value of the pound.

“Spurs will have to pay more by the day. Compared with the end of the previous season, the pound is 6% lower. On the sum that Ajax want (€50m), that’s already a difference of €3m. And the expectation is that the free fall will not stop.”

It is claimed by the newspaper that because of this “complication”, Tottenham are seeking to speed up the signing of the Colombian international, but that Ajax are happy to slow the pace of negotiations down.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nchez-ajax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

ageing hammer wrote:

Total 45 Million, how come if he is THAT much I never seen or heard of him
You haven't been paying attention. :wink:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

MorthwylMawr wrote:Have we backed out or have Sporting changed the fee after we have agreed terms with the player?
By the sound of things, the latter.
The Old Man of Storr wrote:Apologies if this story has already been discussed -

On Tuesday [ yesterday ] Jornal De Noticias were running with the story that West Ham were interested in signing Carvalho's team mates Adrien Silva and Joao Palhinia - they're also running with this story today saying that the Carvalho transfer is now looking unlikely but we're going to sign these two instead .

Other sources are going with what Ageing said - €40m bid has gone in for William Carvalho today .
I can't imagine that we are going to get both of those two for the money we could spend on Carvalho, but if we are that's possibly a better deal - Silva is arguably better thought of than Big Bill, although slightly older, and is Sporting's captain. Palhinha seems to be a youngish DM, tough tackler, and more of a CB/DM than a DM/CM. Adding either would be good - adding both would be terrific, I think.

No idea whether there's actual weight to it, but reading around we've apparently bid EUR30m for the two, but Sporting want EUR5m more in add-ons - http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-give ... s-instead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Anyone know how Jota got on when he went back on loan to Eibar last season? Stats don’t look great but can’t judge a player just on stats.
Pob!
Has liked: 1064 likes
Total likes: 696 likes

Post by Pob! »

Can we have all three? Pleeeeeease! :D
Carey

Post by Carey »

Willie's back on the menu boys!

....wait...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ace,

The currency goes up and down constantly and given that payments are usually staged aren't they always at the whim of fluctuations unless they hedge etc?

It also has an impact on wages.

For example, £50k would have paid Feghouli "€70k" a week two years ago - now something like €55k.

Nordtveit out for €6m would have brought in about £4.1m back in 2016, now it's £5.4m.

The interesting thing about Carvalho is that his alleged wage packet to join us is only about £35k a week without 'bonuses'.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

All I want for my birthday on Monday is Big Bill and his lovely tache 8-)
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

ageing hammer wrote:Total 45 Million, how come if he is THAT much I never seen or heard of him. :eh:
Did you watch the final of Euro '16? If so, you saw him!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
artlin

Post by artlin »

I am sweating on just one more cliche in "West Ham Transfer Window bull**** Bingo".

All I need is a "I've torn up my season ticket" and I'm done.

:scarfer:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Marko Arnautovic will wear the No7 shirt for the 2017/18 season, after the Premier League ratified his request to change from 27 following the opening game of the campaign at Manchester United.
mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

I have melted my new plastic season ticket.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Aceface wrote:Interesting stuff re. Brexit-induced currency issues for transfers. This will be true of negotiating for Carvalho too, even if it's not deliberate.
I assume that team whose country is in the Eurozone will use the Euro when setting and/or negotiating a price for a sale. If that's so then it wouldn't necessarily be a case of such clubs raising the asking price, just a result of the Brexit effect sending the pound into near free fall.
A falling pound is, of course, making all imports more expensive.
Last edited by Ted Fenton on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Apologies if this story has already been discussed -

Thanks mate...

You're right with that story from that paper but according to other Portuguese papers the deal with Carvalho is still on and we are just discussing niggly details like add ons etc

Who knows whose right ....

It's an odd one if the alternative bid on the two other players is true because it would hardly be a negotiating ploy if you are still dealing with same club. If you see what I mean?