Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Colours never run »

As you say, nothing like £25m then which is the point. Whether the Board stumped up is a whole different matter but to say the only decent full backs about world wide is £25m is well wide of the mark.

We clearly managed it on the left flank with Cresswell/Masuaku at realistic prices even for us so it's not beyond the realms of possibility we could find another good full back, and that's if Byram doesn't turn out to be a gooden as well after staying injury free for a season for once.

We're not even asking for world beaters either who are the finished article, just solid young, fairly good injury record, consistent ones if unspectacular as long as they do the job.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

No, £12m gets you the equivalent of Trippier two seasons ago who was not ready to start every week. £25m+ gets you someone close to the current Trippier which is what we need.

In any case we seem to agree that the board won't sanction spending even the lower amount on a defender so Moyes (or replacement or DoF...) better have a Coleman up their sleeve.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

MB wrote:Why would Wilshere be any better for us than he was for Bournemouth?
Because we now get 60,000 fans a game, have a free stadium and have the coffers to invest £100 million+ in the rest of our playing squad to complement Wilshere's abilities...

:raver:
MB

Post by MB »

As for Cresswell... have a look how many goals were conceded down our left flank when he played fullback. Bubbles did some analysis a year or so back.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Younger and faster players, on suitable wages.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

MB wrote:No, £12m gets you the equivalent of Trippier two seasons ago

In any case we seem to agree that the board won't sanction spending even the lower amount on a defender so Moyes (or replacement or DoF...) better have a Coleman up their sleeve.
No, it's yourself that's convinced we can only get a good young up and coming right back for no less than £25m. It's just not true.

But yes we are just about agreed on the Divs ballsing it up unless they suddenly get their act together and sort the recruitment out so no ones holding their breath under any illusion. But nor does it make it an impossibility either. We've managed to source genuine talent before at more reasonable prices or below the higher market value. We even achieved that with Arnautovic and Hernandez who neither cost £25m+ and we're not even asking for the ready made product that's at the top of their game.
MB

Post by MB »

Arnie and Hernandez were market rate and we weren't competing against anyone else. They are also late 20's so not prime signings.

Lanzini? Good but not a world beater and there are plenty of ams out there.

Good full backs (especially right sided ones) are rare and in high demand. That is why Walker cost £50m that is the top end of the market.

You can get ones who can attack but not defend and you can get ones who defend but cannot really attack. Both gets you in my price range and sees you competing with three or four other clubs.

I don't want "learning their trade" if Rice is going to be a regular next season (which I hope he will be).
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Just a thought, how do you think Kyle Walker would fare, defensively, in our team, as an attacking full back?
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

There is value to be had out there, but we need to be looking further than domestic players, as for a club like ours with seemingly no budget, buying domestic is daylight robbery.

I dont claim to know, but 'i imagine buying players from the spanish marked would be far superior in terms of value/quality.

I would guess we could get Leon and Tello from Betis, and Aspas from Celta for a combined £25m max. Leon with energy and a bit of sting in midfield, Tello with a huge potential still and pace to burn, while Aspas as a poor mans Franco.

WBA'sDawson would be perfect for us as he is very capable of playing as a defensively sound right back as well as centrehalf. Similar to what Tomkins did for us while we were playing our arguably best football.
Also wish we would test Watfords willingness to hang on to Pereyra, as he is the Payet replacement we should have gone for when Payet left!
MB

Post by MB »

The problem with Spain is that only the very best seem to do well over here and players who flopped here (Aspas, Zaza) look half decent over there. It is a very different league so difficult to pick a player who will succeed here.

France struggles from only having a few decent teams so judging quality is difficult but they seem to produce endless numbers of full backs and defensive midfielders so with the right scouting it should be possible to find the right players.

Germany is the league that is the nearest to ours style wise but those clubs drive a hard bargain!
Colours never run

Bergen gets it. I'm only considering championship or players from abroad to get more bang for our buck. To narrow it to just Premier League full backs is almost asking for trouble as they're too few and far between which is why prices are extortionate based on that market.

There's value to be had and decent players to be found if only you look hard enough. Now whether we can achieve that again is to be seen as we've all lost faith in them doing their job properly but it's not completely beyond us and it won't have to cost £25m+ which we obviously would never pay.

It doesn't even have to be just Europe either. Indeed our very own Zabaleta although the wrong side of 30 these days, was once upon a time a promising right back in Argentina before he got snapped up in Spain. Then eventually moving on to Man City to stunning effect and at no point would he be regarded upon sale as a £25m+ full back leaving Argentina or Spain even when compared to this market. And he has been a top end right back which we ain't expecting to get in any case. Just a competent, fit young full back who can occasionally deliver a decent cross. They're out there and not at bank busting prices if only they try hard enough.
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

MB wrote:The problem with Spain is that only the very best seem to do well over here and players who flopped here (Aspas, Zaza) look half decent over there. It is a very different league so difficult to pick a player who will succeed here.
Good post, and its hard to argue against it. What i will say though, as colours is touching on, is that it all comes down to scouting. It really shouldn't be impossible to gauge how a player will fit the league, but obviously other factors plays a part as well. Aspas was too young maturity wise to be dismissed as a flop. He is a different player these days, and along with the other couple players I mentioned, I obviously think would suit English football (now) :)

It's been rumoured for a year now that Sevilla will buy (young norwegian DMC form Genk) Sander Berge to replace N'zonzi. How come we can't find these prospects? Not saying the young norwegian is the answer, but we really should know as he was training with us a couple years ago!

Hopefully we will get a DOF who will give us some continuity and a sense of direction when it comes to player types and style.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think there is just as much value in the championship as there is in foreign leagues. Players like Maddison and Sessegnob are all extremely well known and coveted so they have a high price, but there are plenty of other possibly better less well known players who are available for fair prices.
Josh Earl from PNE is going to be a top class player, and at the moment he won’t break the bank. He would be the first player I would sign if I was our new DOF. Bobby Reid from Bristol City, George Saville from Millwall and Ollie Watkins are all excellent players, who also would not break the bank, Joe Worral from Forrest is going to be a top tier defender, and Rico Henry is another good young left back. Andre Green may not have lived up to his potential yet, and has struggled with Hamstring injuries but is a tantalizing talent. Sam Johnstone and Daniel Bentley are two goalkeepers who are better than half the keepers in the premiership.
If I was the new DOF I’d buy Earl, Henry, Watkins, Worrall, Green, the oldest of whom is 22, along with Johnstone and Bentley. I think in a year or two you could sell at least one or possibly any one of them for more than it would cost to buy the lot today, and only Watkins and the goalies would count against the 23 man squad.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Peaches wrote:I think there is just as much value in the championship as there is in foreign leagues. Players like Maddison and Sessegnob are all extremely well known and coveted so they have a high price, but there are plenty of other possibly better less well known players who are available for fair prices.
Josh Earl from PNE is going to be a top class player, and at the moment he won’t break the bank. He would be the first player I would sign if I was our new DOF. Bobby Reid from Bristol City, George Saville from Millwall and Ollie Watkins are all excellent players, who also would not break the bank, Joe Worral from Forrest is going to be a top tier defender, and Rico Henry is another good young left back. Andre Green may not have lived up to his potential yet, and has struggled with Hamstring injuries but is a tantalizing talent. Sam Johnstone and Daniel Bentley are two goalkeepers who are better than half the keepers in the premiership.
If I was the new DOF I’d buy Earl, Henry, Watkins, Worrall, Green, the oldest of whom is 22, along with Johnstone and Bentley. I think in a year or two you could sell at least one or possibly any one of them for more than it would cost to buy the lot today, and only Watkins and the goalies would count against the 23 man squad.

What have you got against young Sessegnon ?
dixie1978
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

Certainly some great players are getting relegated this season, with the lure of playing in the Athletics Bowl (and West Ham paying over the odds wages as usual) i think we will be linked with the following:

WBA:

Foster
Dawson
Rondon
Evans

Southampton:

Forster
Bertrand
Ward-Prowse

Stoke:

Butland (Joining Liverpool apparently)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'll keep on saying it, we won't be buying a goalkeeper when Petr Cech will be available on a free. Absolutely, nailed on, written in the stars, whatever, he'll be our first choice keeper next season
dixie1978
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

Fairly sure Petr Cech still has at least one year on his contract, that said, he would improve us in the short term. I think behind a DOF, the keeper needs to be addressed ASAP, as clearly Moyes has two limited keepers to choose between, which he has struggled to do this year.

I would be happy for Cech to come in as long as we bring in someone like Bentley to bed in a take the reigns in a years time.

Butland would be perfect, great keeper, Prem experienced, but ultimately will be heading to Liverpool or Arsenal (IMO).

Johnstone from Man U has been getting rave reviews, but i have never seen him play!

From the playing staff, a keeper needs to be our biggest priority.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

We HAVE to have identified the long term manager and Director of Football within a week of this season finishing if that drags on the transfers will suffer as a result I’m sick of us going for 15 players in the same position with completely different skill sets it shows no direction

Pick a system > identify the skill set required > identify the player required > for the love of god put your hand in your pocket for a change
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

renewal time so we will get linked to everyone. result will be no one special and possibly lanzini going to sit on the spurs or victimpool bench.

don't renew anything yet make them sweat

52000 waiting list my arse !
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Sun Sport popped up on my Facebook feed with Cresswell to Everton for £25mil!

Now, I like him but for £25mil you’d have to bite their arm off surely! Ps. I know it’s the Sun....