Summer Transfer Window 2018

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Bamber Gascoigne

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Bamber Gascoigne » Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 pm

mrbluesky wrote:“Hello... is that Craig Dawson’s agent?”

Get it done now.
We've just rung Les Dawson agent.........

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Looking at the relegated clubs:

Have interesting relegation clauses:
Shaquiri
Chadli
Evans (yes he's 30+ but so cheap for his talent level)
Rondon

No known relegation clause Interesting but expensive:
Butland
Allen
Dawson
No known relegation clause mid-level investment:
Ndiaye
Gibbs
Livermore

Worth a punt?
Sobhi
Nyom

Looking at that list, moving Antonio and putting the proceeds into Chadli seems like a smart move. If they don't go elsewhere for a CM/DM (Dendonker?) Allen and Livermore look like fits.
Butland I think is unlikely to be worth the price, the English Goalkeeper tax is high and the talent level isn't worth it.

I'd like a punt of Sobhi, though he has a chance for a World Cup breakout that would sky his price.

Edit- forgot Dawson. Could be alright if the price is low

Bonzos4Lagers

Post by Bonzos4Lagers » Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Shaquiri = mistake.

I saw a game on TV over here a couple of weeks ago when he had to be told by Lambert to thank the fans afterwards. His demeanour made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with it. Came across as a self-centered knob. Not impressed.

Would be seen as lazy and would end in tears. Mistake.

Hammersfaniow

Post by Hammersfaniow » Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Agree regarding Shaqiri, he’s a passenger that we couldn’t afford to carry. Not unless he has the absolute talent that Payet did, would his laziness be tolerated by us, and he’s nowhere near that.

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 pm

That's very right.

We have a team that can't defend. Defending is an 11 man business, not 7, 8 or 9.

Compare Arnie or Carroll defensively to Hernandez?

Arnie defends from the front and to all intents and purposes attacks with his pressing; Carroll is great to have against aerial attack - what does a player like Hernandez offer up for the team in comparison? Shaqiri seems to be a similar sort.

We aren't good enough to have players waiting around for the ball to come to them, unless they are going to reach Payet levels of performance.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Seems to be a weird assumption that Shaqiri just does nothing until the ball hits his feet.

Got to think that in ateam that does defend collectively, he’ll do it. It’s not a trait Arnie was known for. I’d take him at £12m certainly, and think he’d work well with Lanzini and Arnie.

Down to the manager, for the most part.

And, maybe more importantly than that we need probably one attacking signing:

he’s the attacking, vanity signing that Sullivan will want, but he won’t destroy the budget. We’d actually have money to spend in midfield and defence.

comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Now we unfortunately are staying up. I can allow myself to think about transfers

We need, at least
2 Int'l Class Central Defenders
1 Creative Midfield player, another Berkovic will do
1 Lanky lump of a striker Moyes can aim crosses at, another David Cross would be ideal

We really need many others, but that would be my minimum, just to stay up next season.

Sell Antonio, Carroll, Reid,
Release Hart and Mario
Let Ginge go
Start playing Little Pea or let him go.

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:It’s not a trait Arnie was known for.
It seemed to be among many Stoke fans who watched him each week.

Signing Shaqiri could be making the Hernandez mistake again, assuming Lanzini remains. Buying a player for a position we don't necessarily need, not of the right type and who is a duplicate of a player already at the club.

One thing's for sure - if the front three is Shaqiri, Arnie, Lanzini - the central midfield, right back and centre back positions would need four new highly energetic and defensively capable nailed on starters - minimum,

The oldies and slowies would all need to be sacked off. Every one, no question.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only1post

Post by only1post » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Nasty little challenge by Shaq on Saturday.

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 am

Shaqiri is a lot like Lanzini, he probably defends a bit more than Lanzini, but Lanzini is the better creator. Not sure you can play them both at once unless the fullbacks are upgraded and you add a DM and replace Noble with someone with more pace.

The Green Man

Post by The Green Man » Wed May 09, 2018 12:45 am

Ndiaye was decent but is very similar to Kouyate, hustle and bustle, lots of energy but not the calm presence I think we need. Chadli who some have recommended has been injured for a season. Bin both off. Shaqiri is workshy and I think would be a bad influence too.

I think we should also bin off :

Hart (end of loan, been *****)
Reid (very often injured and getting on a bit now, would make a decent packet on him) - £11m
Fernandes (not looked the same bright player since his injury) - £7m
Hernandez (never wants to roll up his sleeves, passenger who wants out anyway and we can get good £ for) - £15m
Carroll (too unreliable for the wage packet and coming to the end of his contract, Newcastle for sure will go for him imho) - £15-20m
Zabaleta (let one of the newly promoted teams have him if he wants to go, otherwise he can be reserve behind Byram) - £1m
Burke (not starting for Bolton) - £500k
Snodgrass (will have many suitors in the Champ) - £10m
Oxford (looks to have his heart set on a move anyway) - £15m
Collins (deserves to go to Cardiff for a final pay day if GSB are going to be messing him around) - Free
Samuelsen (not gonna cut it unfortunately) - £250k
Mario (end of loan unless we can get him cut price)

Should net us around £60m~ and lowers the squad age

Gives us plenty of £ for new arrivals.. what we need

New GK - Jonas Lössl (On loan to Huddersfield and would be good competition for Adrian who I hope we keep) - £6m
New RB - Ryan Fredericks (Byram in reserve) - £11m
New CB - Mawson (gives us Ogbonna, Rice and Mawson with Kouyate and Cress as cover) - £16m
New CM - Dendonker (clearly wants to come, get it done) - £20m
New CM - Hector Herrera (legs for days, would be our marquee signing) - £20-25m
New AM/LM - Thorgan Hazard (swap deal for Oxford + cash?) - Oxford + £10m
New ST - Karl Toko Ekambi (replacement for Hernandez, similar player to Sakho) - £15m
New ST - Rondon (reliability and upgrade on Carroll plus has a release clause) - £16.5m release clause

£120m~ Spend of around £60m which for us should be about standard, add to the fact we spent barely anything this season so we should have the money. Decent mix of premiership experience and players from abroad.

Would be a considerable investment (which is why it won't happen) but all players could easily walk into our x11 and we have plenty of options on the bench. Could play 4-3-3, 5-3-2, 5-4-1, 4-4-2 and instead of Carroll for when we want to lump it up into the box, Rondon does the same job but is actually available for the whole season, not just 7 games.

The two midfielders would add so much balance and nous to our midfield, Herrera is like Kouyate but with positional sense and Dendonker is like Noble but with youth and pace on his side. Both are slightly more defensive minded which would allow the back 4 more breathing room rather than having wave after wave of attacks to contend with with our midfield out of position.

That front 4 would have enough craft, guile and power to maul oppositions. I would prefer another RW instead of Antonio who has had a poor season but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that we'll see the Antonio we remember absolutely mullering opposition LBs.

---------------Arnautovic---------------
--------------------------------------------
Hazard-------Lanzini--------Antonio
-------------------------------------------
-----------Herrera--Dendonker-------
Masuaku------------------Fredericks
---------Ogbonna----Mawson-------
------------------Adrian------------------

Subs : Lossl, Cresswell, Rice, Kouyate, Rondon, Ekambi, Obiang
Last edited by The Green Man on Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Wed May 09, 2018 1:16 am

Butland and Mawson would be good signings. Fellaini and a good defensive midfielder would be good too. Should go back to a back 4.- back 5 is way to negative.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Wed May 09, 2018 1:59 am

Swansea look to be going down and that is very bad financially for them. They will without doubt sell anyone who can generate a decent fee. Unfortunately for them they don’t have many who will be wanted for any kind of fee. Mawson is a class above anyone we have at centre back, he is worth the 25 to 30m he would cost. The only others I’d consider are Clucas and Tom Carroll if they were cheap enough.
As for West Brom, Evans for his buyout clause would be a steal, along with possibly Livermore and Oliver Burke if the fee was small enough. I would not sign anyone from Stoke. Shaquiri is a luxury player and Butland would be too expensive. You could sign a Marcus Bentinelli and Sam Johnstone for half of what Butland would cost.
Last edited by Peaches on Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 am

Peaches wrote:Swansea look to be going down and that is very bad financially for them. They will without doubt sell anyone who can generate a decent fee. Unfortunately for them they don’t have many who will be wanted for any kind of fee. Mawson is a class above anyone we have at centre back, he is worth the 25 to 30m he would cost. The only others I’d consider are Clucas and Tom Carroll if they were cheap enough.
Amusingly, their biggest sale could well be..... Andre Ayew again. We don't want him, but he'll have suitors, and probably let them try and hold on to Mawson and Carroll given the parachute payments. I generally agree though that Swansea has very little to interest us especially given Fer and Bony unsure to even be ready to start training until the season has started.I do like Ki on a free, but I think he'll have suitors he prefers (Milan was rumored).

Of all the relegated players I'm warming on Chadli or Livermore as the best of the likely suspects.
Rondon and Evans I think have their clauses matched by a number of teams and won't pick us. Livermore might be interested and shouldn't break the bank. Chadli would normally be similar to Rondon, but he's missed almost the full season with injury. He's been pretty reliable before this though so I don't see it as a Carroll/Sturridge type of risk, more an opportunity to sneak away with a talented player on a bargain.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 am

Should Huddersfield go down, what you can expect to see is calls for a whole load of their players

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 am

Seriously, some of these players being mentioned as possibles from relegated sides are rank average and no better than our own rank average wasters.
Yet, we will probably end up with a couple from the bargain bins.
Last season whilst Bilic was around I said our best signing would have been a new fitness coach. I was right.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 am

Shaqiri is the wrong player to start addressing our balance

Sadly, I fully expect Sullivan to be well up for signing him whilst we look around for loans and freebies in defensive positions

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 am

hammer1975 wrote:Shaqiri is the wrong player to start addressing our balance

Sadly, I fully expect Sullivan to be well up for signing him whilst we look around for loans and freebies in defensive positions
Signing other clubs relegation fodder and adding it to our own is a recipe for erm, relegation.

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am

Window closes 9th of August, plus we have a World Cup.

Dumb and Dumber, must be rubbibg their grubby litle hands together with glee, their excuse is right there

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed May 09, 2018 7:39 am

hxhammer wrote:Window closes 9th of August, plus we have a World Cup.

Dumb and Dumber, must be rubbibg their grubby litle hands together with glee, their excuse is right there
They are so out of touch, they probably don't even know it closes earlier this year