Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 56 days remaining

Post by ashbanki »

Gsbgsb ~ That may well be true, but why waste two weeks and agree a salary with the player, if we could not afford their valuation? Lazio are notorious to do business with, they are not under pressure to sell are we going to sit it out till the last week and hope the player goes on strike?
Sporting were notorious to do business with, last season,also, but we still had a go at "lowballing"them.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Simply Moore wrote:I'm confused. Are we buying players or houses :?
Depends if we get Wilshire. He needs an adapted bungalow 6 months of the year and he too has nothing up top.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

There were rumours earlier on twitter that Wilshere had chosen Palace. Not sure what the original source of the rumour was
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Looking at this differently... it seemed as though jinxed was very sure it was almost over the line the other day, so there could be truth in the fact we were on the verge of agreeing a deal and the price was suddenly upped.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

I’m all for our tight owners to spend a decent amount this summer improving the squad, but £40M on one player (Anderson) using up a hefty part of our transfer budget, and on a position in the team that is not top priority is too risky. We should give up on this deal and move on.
Sort out the CM and CB positions first.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

ashbanki wrote:Gsbgsb ~ That may well be true, but why waste two weeks and agree a salary with the player, if we could not afford their valuation? Lazio are notorious to do business with, they are not under pressure to sell are we going to sit it out till the last week and hope the player goes on strike?
Sporting were notorious to do business with, last season,also, but we still had a go at "lowballing"them.
Because if he was MP’s first choice then DS had to try to get him. You test the strength of resolve behind the valuation. That is why if Lazio indicted movement then changed their mind that is unacceptable. I am sure that if it had come out he was MP’s first choice but DS did not bother because he did not think a deal likely everyone would have agreed with that!

You should never start negotiations with your best off or even close to it. I once had it described to me as salami slicing, start by cutting the sausage in half then in cut one half two third one third then the one third in smaller and smaller slices as you get to your best offer. You judge things against the the initial valuation you put on the player, what you can afford and the response you receive.

As regards agreeing with the player if we have done this then I only presume it was because it was thought it could be useful to put pressure on the club
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Anyone else get the feeling Anderson is this years lacazette Carvalho bacca? I honestly don’t see this deal happening unless Arnie is sold which I don’t want.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

40 Million now? Just how good is this guy ( Anderson ).

That's probably half our budget for one position when we need to fill about five at least.

I never heard of him before now and he only has one cap for Brazil 3 years ago.

For that money I would expect that he would be at the world cup at least.

I am starting to doubt if he is worth it but what do I know. :eh:
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

ageing hammer wrote: I never heard of him before now and he only has one cap for Brazil 3 years ago.
That is not really a knock against them, considering A) how Brazil's federation is run and B) how deep their talent pool is.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Burnley Hammer wrote:Looking at this differently... it seemed as though jinxed was very sure it was almost over the line the other day, so there could be truth in the fact we were on the verge of agreeing a deal and the price was suddenly upped.
How many times are we supposed to believe we are "on the verge" and then "the price was suddenly upped" before we just give up and accept that we never met their asking and Sullivan is refusing to do so?
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Hammer83 wrote:Anyone else get the feeling Anderson is this years lacazette Carvalho bacca?
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.... :(
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Just a little reminder of what a Birmingham posted on here as GSB took over:-

before every transfer window he will promise you the world and deliver you jackshite
Last edited by Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Apparently 81 year old David Gold is working, tirelessly, on the deal to bring Pastore (or is it a pastor?) to West Ham!

http://sportwitness.co.uk/david-gold-pi ... nts-wages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

ashbanki wrote:working tirelessly
same old song and dance.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hammer83 wrote:Anyone else get the feeling Anderson is this years lacazette Carvalho bacca? I honestly don’t see this deal happening unless Arnie is sold which I don’t want.
I think this one is far more likely.

It doesn't matter about flowery language, the reality is that he only started nine games for them in Serie A last season, and it wasn't because he was injured all the way through.

That means he wasn't intrinsic in their starting XI, which in turn means he is more gettable.

His goals and assist total is very impressive, and any one playing the position this guy does has to have a tangible end product.

People are far too sensitive about the use of terms like squad player or reserve. A player who started more games from the bench than on the pitch is back-up.

Juan Mata is a reserve; it doesn't mean he would be either a bad signing or is a bad player - it's a simple recogition of the reality of the player's recent role at their club.

Surprised to see no one is mentioning the rumour about Smalling - last year of his deal at Man U, we've previously been told he wants to come to London and his agent has spoken to us. It's the kind of signing that is believable. (along with Mata and several others in Man U's reserves /going out of contract).
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

re: Smalling

He's been linked to us in some of the papers the past 48 hours or so.

Out of Smalling or Mawson, who would you take? Smalling really fell out of favor with Mourinho.
TheRealHammer
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by TheRealHammer »

The bookies have taken lots of money on Pastore to West Ham this afternoon.

From 4/1 to 4/7 now.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Smalling started 28 PL games for Man U last season - more than Bailly and Lindelof, so I'm not sure how out of favour he really is. It seems like he's been around forever but he's only 28.

He's probably better than Mawson, though I can't say I've seen that much of Mawson.

Also, the agent of Rodrigo Da Paul claims we've expressed an interest (but don't they all?)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ashbanki wrote:Apparently 81 year old David Gold is working, tirelessly, on the deal to bring Pastore (or is it a pastor?) to West Ham!

http://sportwitness.co.uk/david-gold-pi ... nts-wages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His name actually means, Shepherd in English
Broadstairs hammer

Post by Broadstairs hammer »

Fairly new poster but an avid reader! I think we should judge on August 11th! I realise thorough business that things can change! Patience is needed, I don’t believe MP would be here if he wasn’t significantly reassured.