Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 35 days remaining

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

hammerman11 wrote:any chance of a def midfielder ? we can play obiang there with one other, the current choice is noble or kouyate, neither are good at that role !
Stefano Sturaro is still in the mix - there's Declan Rice and Pablo Zabaleta could fill in .
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

I don’t get this fascination with moving Rice to Dfensive Midfield he was brilliant at CB for us last year and signing Mawson won’t help his progression there

Sign the South American for backup and use the £16m difference on adding to the potential transfer of a true Defensive Midfielder we’ve been crying out for for around 5 years
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

hammer1975 wrote:If Balbuena is so good....why has he only played 7 or 8 times for Paraguay at 26 years old?
Billy Bonds - Mikel Arteta - Jose Enrique - Steed Malbranque

Sometimes , despite being a great player those International call-ups don't happen or as in Billy's case you get injured just before a match .
Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Touching though the outbreak of optimism is, the assumption that Sullivan has relinquished control over transfers is totally without foundation and is a million miles from being demonstrated by actions.
Until there is clear evidence of a miraculous redemption over a succession of transfer windows, then I might start to believe it.
In the meantime, I will be lead both by experience and proven history to the conculsion that Sully is a penny-pinching, self-obsessed, incompetent, liar.
I will leave others to rejoice in a dubious belief that after a lifetime of being an unscrupulous and controlling shark, Sullivan has finally mended his ways.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

hammerman11 wrote:
when is jack being announced ?

Ex saying Monday or Tuesday, but does not give a date :wink:

More
ExWHUemployee Retweeted matt4theirons
No I have been told it’s either Monday or Tuesday now. There are just a few minor things that needed sortingExWHUemployee added,
matt4theirons

@matt4theirons1
@ExWHUemployee should we worry why we haven’t announced Wilshere yet?
14 replies 3 retweets 14 likes

https://twitter.com/exwhuemployee?lang=en
Last edited by Shy Ted on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

TOMOS - you’ve quoted players who haven’t got caps for England, Spain and France. This chap has less caps than player 2-3 years younger.

I’m all for value - and I appreciate people think players with PL experience are overpriced, but we could be playing with a 22 year old who’s not played outside the French league and a Paraguayan who’s never played in Europe. Might be good, might not adapt (Javier Margas for example as much as I loved the hair).

I’m all for balance - some PL proven players, some players from abroad.

Regarding Rice - seems a smashing kid with a smashing attitude. But i’d be happy to see him spend a season learning the game as a defensive mid rather than being exposed as a one goal conceding error a game CB. I think he’ll be a PL player for a long time but people are getting ahead of themselves by seeing him as a CB starter next season. All IMO
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Decent player that Mawson is i honestly think the £25m fee it would probably take to get him here could be put to better use in other positions! FWIW lots of Corinthians on Twitter last night raving about Balbuena and are very sad that he could be leaving, allegedly has a £5-8m release clause, could be a bargain !
dixie1978
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

So assume that Jack never failed his medical, I would say the window so far has been a 7 / 10 for me.

It looks like the Paraguay CB is now instead of Mawson, so I would say that only Bruno Fernandes remains as a permanent option.

I expect Drinkwater on a season long loan too.

If so:

Fabianski
Fredericks
Diop
Paraguay CB
Wilshire
Drinkwater
Fernandes

Total spend £60 million

I would say this would be a 9/10 window, the first step in the Pellegrini era, I think we only get a striker if Hernandez and Hugill leave.

:scarfer:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

My sauces tell me Buratto is still on.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

£60m spend as 9/10

Sales yet to come

I’d be disappointed with that personally

Spending doesn’t guarantee success but to have spent as little as we have in the past two seasons I believe the club is capable of spending £100m net.

I’m not saying we should spend another £40m for the sake of it but when we still so clearly need strengthening in a number of places - why praise them for not spending it?
dixie1978

Post by dixie1978 »

It is not the total spend it is the quality brought in, if we paid 30 million for Wilshere and 15 for Fredericks would you then be happy because it was 105 million spend?

:crest:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

dixie1978 wrote:It is not the total spend it is the quality brought in,
Are you suggesting that there is no link between price and quality?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

It would be very unusual for a player, if thought of as being good enough to play in a top European league to still be playing in South America at the age of 26.
dixie1978

Post by dixie1978 »

Byram 5 million
Fredericks Free

So no is the answer, not always!

It is about managing your budget along with what’s available and your squad needs?
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

hammer1975 wrote:£60m spend as 9/10

Sales yet to come

I’d be disappointed with that personally

Spending doesn’t guarantee success but to have spent as little as we have in the past two seasons I believe the club is capable of spending £100m net.

I’m not saying we should spend another £40m for the sake of it but when we still so clearly need strengthening in a number of places - why praise them for not spending it?
It’s not £60 million though is it, it’s the signing on fees for all of those players, probably pretty huge for Wilshere and Fredericks seeing as they were free. It’s the wages, Wilshere, Diop, Fernandes (who was listed) won’t be coming in on small wages.

People put far too much stock in ‘net spend’, there’s a lot more to consider than transfer fees.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Vince wrote:YorksHammer re Miguel Almiron :

Living in Atlanta and being a Atlanta United season ticket holder, seen him play live quite a bit.
Bit lightweight, but very skillful player, albeit totally left footed, tackles back and hustles for a small guy. Maybe better suited to La Liga than the Premier League.
Blimey Vince I go to Atlanta every year (my son lives in Roswell) and I’ve never seen Atalanta. I must try to go next time, can’t be any worse than the Falcons!
Last edited by Hamburger on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixie1978

Post by dixie1978 »

Don’t get me wrong, if Sully wants to splash 100m on a ‘star’ ghen I’m all for it.

But let’s walk before we can run.

:crest:
Miles Standish Proud
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Touching though the outbreak of optimism is, the assumption that Sullivan has relinquished control over transfers is totally without foundation and is a million miles from being demonstrated by actions.
Until there is clear evidence of a miraculous redemption over a succession of transfer windows, then I might start to believe it.
In the meantime, I will be lead both by experience and proven history to the conculsion that Sully is a penny-pinching, self-obsessed, incompetent, liar.
I will leave others to rejoice in a dubious belief that after a lifetime of being an unscrupulous and controlling shark, Sullivan has finally mended his ways.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Have I missed something about this Paraguayan chap? He's more than just another link in the media?

To be honest, the big reason why I'm so eager for us to sign Mawson is because he's English, young and already looked good in the Prem, and he could be a mainstay of our defence for years. I really miss us not having English players pushing for a place in the national team. Mawson could be that man. He's the perfect signing for us.

I get there's a concern about whether spending £20m on him could be better spent on other more positions, but I have no idea what our overall budget is and whether we're selling anyone. If we're still planning to spend around £50m (as the links seem to suggest) then go for Mawson.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Westbourne Bill wrote:It would be very unusual for a player, if thought of as being good enough to play in a top European league to still be playing in South America at the age of 26.
Falcao was 24, Rodrigo Palacio was 27, it’s not unheard of.