Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 26 days remaining

Post by swash »

You would hope that Arnie would want to stay, considering how he managed to shine last season playing in a very mediocre team, surely he would be right up for this season with a bit more quality around him
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Selling arnie will be the proof we needed that these signings were part of a colourful razzle dazzle.
WickfordHammer86

Post by WickfordHammer86 »

In terms of what we still want and/or need, I'm really not sure. It depends on who goes out the door.

Whatever your starting line up may be at this point, I look at our bench and think if Antonio goes (for example) then we'll definitely need another attacking player on loan, whilst Lanzini recovers. Here's mine for example...

Fabianski

Fredericks
Diop
Ogbonna
Masuaku

Obiang
Wilshere

Yarmolenko
F. Anderson

Chicha
Arnie

Bench

Adrian
Rice
Antonio
Noble
Snodgrass/Kouyate
Hugill
Cresswell

Not the strongest of benches, especially when you consider 4 of the 7 may leave.
swash

Post by swash »

Think you have forgotten Balbuena, don't think he's signed to not even make the bench

Edit - and Zabaleta
Patito

Post by Patito »

WickfordHammer86 wrote: Not the strongest of benches, especially when you consider 4 of the 7 may leave.
Purely guesswork on my part but I would imagine Hernandez would be on the bench against Liverpool. Partly because he will join up with the squad a bit later because of the World Cup and partly because I can't see us playing two wingers + two strikers away at Anfield. I reckon it will be Arnie, Yarmolenko, Anderson then 3 central midfielders behind them plus a back 4.
swash

Post by swash »

Think that Hernandez might be a little, ahem tired :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Miami.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by swash on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

swash wrote:You would hope that Arnie would want to stay, considering how he managed to shine last season playing in a very mediocre team, surely he would be right up for this season with a bit more quality around him
+1
WickfordHammer86

Post by WickfordHammer86 »

swash wrote:Think you have forgotten Balbuena, don't think he's signed to not even make the bench

Edit - and Zabaleta
I agree I just know nothing of him as yet. As for Zaba, that's just football I guess. Can only have so many players on the bench and whether it be him or Fredericks starting, is the best use of a bench spot used on a right back?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I don't see us playing a 2 in the middle and 2 up top...

It's not just that we don't have the missing piece to do that (midfield enforcer), but we also don't have the squad depth to do it.

Say we do get that enforcer in to play that role, if he gets injured / suspended we'd need to re-shape the team completely each time because we wouldn't have a suitable replacement.

Play 3 of Noble, Obiang, Wilshere, Fernandes, Kouyate or Lanzini (when fit) and as soon as it's easier to make a like-for-like replacement with minimal impact.

Also, can't see us being strong enough quite yet to play 2 up top. We're not there in terms of team or squad just yet without being over-exposed defensively.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

In my opinion Arnie will only leave for 2 reasons.

1. He wants too, if he wants to go he's gone.
2. We receive a big north of 60 million.

If anyone's leaving its Hernandez, I hope neither of them leave to be honest but if its one it will be Hernandez.

Its just paper talk..

The outs will be one of Kouyate, Antonio, Hernandez, Oxford, Cullen, Byram, Hugill I believe.

We'll get one of 2 in on loan depending who leaves.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

swash wrote:Think that Hernandez might be a little, ahem tired :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Miami.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That barnet. Sell him.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Did you see how much running around he did against Germany?

Of course he is tired , probably too tired ahem for ms Kohan
Graza

Post by Graza »

bubbles1966 wrote: Our defensive record has got progressively worse over the last three years. It would be foolish to leave things be.
Absolutely true, but we've bought a new keeper, right back and 2 new center halves. I do think the lack of screening from the midfield hasn't helped, but given who we've been looking at/bought on top, Pellegrini looks like he wants to play with wingers, who if they put the yards in will help the wide defenders and hopefully stop us getting swarmed. Yes a DM or 2 coming in would help but it's not like he's turning a blind eye to our biggest deficiency.

For what it's worth I think Noble will play and captain the side, with a general higher energy level around him he'll look like a different player. Could even be replaced every game at 65/70 minutes to allow him to put it all in. If he's not on and Reid is off I expect to see Ogbonna with the arm band (unless we sell him).
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

WickfordHammer86 wrote:
I agree I just know nothing of him as yet. As for Zaba, that's just football I guess. Can only have so many players on the bench and whether it be him or Fredericks starting, is the best use of a bench spot used on a right back?
Always good to have zabs around the team

Plus he can cover RB, LB (has played there nationally) , CB and DM he is useful to have on bench

Considering it used to be 5 subs I’d agree more of a “waste” but now it’s 7 you can have a couple cover / youth players
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Sorry if already mentioned, but there's been reports from Turkey that we've bid 18-22m Euros for the Croatian defender Vida, who plays for Besiktas. The guy is awesome, I was remarking during the WC final on Sunday that I'd love him at West Ham. His ridiculous undercut-and-ponytail combo (Jason Newsted?) adds to his potential cult hero charm.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Even with the great signings this smells of Post World cup hangover re the stars , will be a real shock if this was true
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

steveyrockstar wrote:Sorry if already mentioned, but there's been reports from Turkey that we've bid 18-22m Euros for the Croatian defender Vida, who plays for Besiktas. The guy is awesome, I was remarking during the WC final on Sunday that I'd love him at West Ham. His ridiculous undercut-and-ponytail combo (Jason Newsted?) adds to his potential cult hero charm.
Ogbonna's better in my opinion, for 22 million and he's a year older, i'd rather stick with Oggy.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

swash wrote:Think that Hernandez might be a little, ahem tired :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Miami.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think she's close to seeing his little pea.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

We already have Ogbonna, Rice, Diop and Balbuena at CB. We still have (to pay) Reid too. I think there are more important positions to improve than CB now. Centre mid still worries me and I don't see any great depth in our striker pool either.
sprinl01

Post by sprinl01 »

Italian Newspaper saying Joao Mario close to agreeing loan move to Wolves, we need to be all over that now seeing as Inter seem open to loaning him when they said no way before