Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 7 days remaining

Post by Monkeybubbles »

bubbles1966 wrote: Yes, I don't really buy into the assumption that the whole thing is going change drastically and that the manager will be a particularly transformational force for individual players. It's the quality of the individual players that needs to be transformed.
I think that the players will have better defined roles, which leads to a better understanding of their roles, which leads to them performing their roles better. Also, Pelli's system is quite robust defensively, given that it's designed to always offer support to the back four, and I honestly think we have enough players with sufficient footballing intelligence to work the system perfectly. Time will tell, of course.
bubbles1966 wrote: Guardiola struggled to third with Man City with his philosophy and ended up changing £250m worth of players. I'm not sure that Pellegrini has been given enough to effect the transformation that some seem to think is coming.
Pelligrini won the Prem with the squad that Guardiola had to upgrade by £250m. :scarfer:

I guess it depends what your expectations are. I'm not thinking that we'll win the Champions League anytime soon, but I'm genuinely thinking that Pelligrini can get us comfortable top ten by playing enjoyable football, with the potential to push on after that if cash is available. After the misery of the last few years (Payet interlude excepted) I'd be happy enough with that.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 974 likes

Post by e17 »

People don’t really think Pel Boy is going to play the same as Moyes’ tactics, surely?

They’re chalk & cheese
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2492 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

e17 wrote:People don’t really think Pel Boy is going to play the same as Moyes’ tactics, surely?

They’re chalk & cheese
Bilic.
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

As long as they dont play like Bilic's team did in the last twenty months, i will be happy....... :scarfer:
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

Reckon Hugill will be a revelation in a Pulis team.

Watch him rack up 15-25 goals, and for us to flog him for 15-25 million next summer.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Georgee Paris wrote:I’m comfortable with Keeper. Slightly worried about defence. Similar with central midfield. Feel we are still light in striker area.

1 midfield general. cdm.
1 striker - either fox in the box or explosive battle axe. I feel we need a plan b or c option. Andy Carroll would be plan b if fit.

The fox in the box would be Hernandez surely Georgee ?
LB and DM needed for sure.
Patito

Post by Patito »

bubbles1966 wrote: We started last season playing 4-2-3-1 and got walloped in the first three. We picked up a few results playing three at the back and then reverted to 4-2-3-1...and started to get walloped all over again.

We only changed to three at the back on an ongoing basis away to Manchester City in the first week of December.

Yes with a completely different set of players, a different manager & coaching team in what will ultimately be, a completely different system.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2492 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

That means nothing Bubbles, to be fair.

11 men shown initially standing in vaguely the same position on the pitch as a different set of 11 men who have a completely different set of instructions.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

Bubbs is questioning how much of the manager who attacks with pretty much the same defensive outfit will fair against Bilic’s side, it’s a good question and I have my doubts about how different things will be personally
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I’m sure it’s hilariously obvious...but who the f*** is HAK. Pardon?
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

bobd_uk wrote:You'd imagine other people at WH would have been involved in the process. Do you think they were all in on it?
In on what? The manager saying this is the forward I want?
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Haksabanovic.
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Whufc Bulletin on Twitter reckons that Bernard is signing for us on a 4 year deal worth 110k a week. That account doesn't get everything right but definitely has some inside knowledge.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

dvincent wrote:Whufc Bulletin on Twitter reckons that Bernard is signing for us on a 4 year deal worth 110k a week. That account doesn't get everything right but definitely has some inside knowledge.
Holy ****.....see ya later Antonio
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

dvincent wrote:Whufc Bulletin on Twitter
This is not someone providing genuine info. Can we stick to verified and/or trusted sources, please.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Bubbles at least 5 of those won’t start against Liverpool, at least 5. Playing the same or a similar formation doesn’t mean you are playing the same system, especially as we have a new manager. IIRC our pressing was non existent that match too compared to the higher defensive line and press that we’ve played throughout preseason; I believe you’ve alluded to it yourself in previous posts.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

There are a lot of different ways to play in the same general formation.
Even if Pellegrini plays a 4-2-3-1, it will likely play nothing like a Bilic 4-2-3-1. Slav liked to play a deep defensive line, Pellegrini likes to play the offside trap. Bilic mostly had his wide midfielders hug the lines, Pellegrini likes to have them dive inside. Pellegrini wants to pressure the ball more when not in possession where Bilic liked to drop back.
Overall one of Bilic's issues was he was a great man manager who didn't always know what he wanted tactically. Pellegrini whether in his preferred 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 always knows what he wants structurally and in play style.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 862 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Whufc06 wrote:In this league you can get away with conceding lots if you can score, you can’t really get away with not scoring goals which is why he has probably gone after the attack first.
Burnley finished 7th having only scored 36 goals. The secret was keeping them out at the other end.

That said, I do agree that usually failing to score enough goals will see you relegated.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cellar door :thup: