Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Voronin

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 80 days remaining

Post by Voronin »

Something like this:

In:
Shaqiri (14M)
Carvalho (25M)
Smalling (15M)
Wilshire (free)
Fredericks (free)
Backup keeper (5M)
Mario (18M)

Out:
Kouyate (15M)
Byram (5m)
Snodgrass (12m)
release Ginge and Evra.

Net spend (on transfer fees alone) 45m. That´s an absolute minimum if we want to estabilsh ourselves in the top half. Might even be possible for us to loan Rice out to a top Championship side, and thereby getting him ready to be a top PL defender for the 19-20 season.
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

If Pellegrini is going to have any success here at all, we're going to need to sign two starting defensive midfielders. Obiang and Noble are adequate cover, but not quite right for the system that Pellegrini has historically favoured.

What he decides to do with Rice will be interesting. I'd be intrigued to see him at DM for an extended period of time, as he has all the attributes to make that position his own. He's athletic, disciplined and has a good range of passing.

On a side note, I'd be quite happy for Kouyate to be permanently switched to centre back. I've been impressed by him every time that I've seen him in that position.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

funky chicken wrote:“I think West Ham has a very good team. I know all of the players and I saw most of the games that they played last season, so I am sure that, with the players we have in this moment in the squad, and bringing maybe another four or five players in, we are going to have a strong team.''

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... AgIj3W2.99

This quote hear concerns me. As in my opinion we need more than 4-5 new players. But the keyword in that sentence is 'maybe'. So hopefully we will bring in more and I will reserve my judgement until then.

At least, if Ex is right, thankfully I got my prediction wrong already of us signing Yaya Toure :thup:
He is on 10m a year. For that salary he should be able to get under-performing players playing better, he should be able to coach them to improve them

It is not simply about going out and buying a whole new team

Improve the players we have and add 5 quality players and we are in a good shape
Graza

Post by Graza »

In order of priority:
DM (preferably 2)
Right Back
Center Half (unless he wants to use Rice, Oxford and Burke all)

Then it depends how he wants to play. For instance, we have 3 "wingers" who 2 want to be strikers, the other wants to play in the middle and is on loan. So if he wants wingers he has to buy them.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Given Pellegrini's preference for a 4-2-2-2 formation in which the 2 wide midfielders play narrow and tend to be playmakers rather than wingers so to speak.

I wonder if someone like Suso at AC Milan is worth looking at in a David Silva light type of role? Left footed but likes to play from the right and cut in, in much the same way Lanzini likes to do on the opposite flank.

The Chinese ownership of Milan are being investigated by Uefa for breaching FFP, and their chief exec has previously said they'd need to sell if they fail to get in to the champions league.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

funky chicken wrote:“I think West Ham has a very good team. I know all of the players and I saw most of the games that they played last season, so I am sure that, with the players we have in this moment in the squad, and bringing maybe another four or five players in, we are going to have a strong team.''

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... AgIj3W2.99

This quote hear concerns me. As in my opinion we need more than 4-5 new players. But the keyword in that sentence is 'maybe'. So hopefully we will bring in more and I will reserve my judgement until then.

At least, if Ex is right, thankfully I got my prediction wrong already of us signing Yaya Toure :thup:
I think 4 or 5 first 11 starters, particularly a DM, would certainly make us strong enough in addition to what we have. What would be a problem is if we get 1 marquee signing and 4 squad players.

And of course anyone who goes must be replaced on top of that 4 or 5.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Really hope we're not in for that fat **** Shaqiri.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

4 or 5 starters is plenty to have us top 10 next season. We weren’t far off this.

Pellegrini should be able to maintain Arnie’s form, hopefully bring the most out of Mario as well.

Adrian
Fredericks (Free) Mawson (£20 million) Ogbonna Masuaku
Obiang Dendoncker (£20 million)
Lanzini Mario (£25 million)
Arnautovic Balotelli (Free)

5 signings, top ten if not higher.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

If our starting full backs are Fredericks and Masaku, I'll be putting plenty of money on us going down, both not top 10 defenders, both low Prem/high championship
Patito

Post by Patito »

madhammer wrote: I wonder if someone like Suso at AC Milan is worth looking at in a David Silva light type of role? Left footed but likes to play from the right and cut in, in much the same way Lanzini likes to do on the opposite flank.

Good call, IIRC I think he was at Liverpool when he was younger and failed to make an impression but he's progressed into a fantastic player.
Bernie_Lama
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Bernie_Lama »

I think we'll end up with a few players from the Spanish league if he is trying to get value rather than pay top dollar for known scouted players dotted over the rest Europe. i.e. dendocker/carvahlo
madhammer

Post by madhammer »

Patito wrote:Good call, IIRC I think he was at Liverpool when he was younger and failed to make an impression but he's progressed into a fantastic player.
Yes he was, which is partly one of the reasons for suggesting him. Knowing the language you’d think he’d be a little quicker to settle and adapt.

Don’t think we can read to much in to his failure to break in to the team at Liverpool as Fabregas and Bellerin aside I can’t think of too many 15/16 year olds who’ve moved from prodigious youth academy’s to PL teams and made a mark. Even Pogba and Pique had to leave Man Utd for an opportunity at first team football.

But like you say he’s really blossomed the past 18 months to the point where he’s probably Milan’s most important and consistent offensive threat. And given the wages we can pay I’m sure we could put together a tempting wage packet that would make him consider leaving a former European heavyweight.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

I know we need defensive and midfield players but would anyone take Nasri?

Superb at Seville, doping ban till August, free transfer, still only 30.. Sully special?
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

To those asking about Yaya Toure, I will say no, definitely not. He will command big wages no doubt. He is slow. He may get away with it playing with De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling etc but he will be so exposed here and wasn't our complaint about our own players was that we severely lacked pace? He is old and past it but one has to question his desire too. Remember his birthday fiasco? At City he at least had the opportunity to pick up medals so there was some motivation to put in some effort whenever selected. Can't see him busting a gut here at the Olympic bowl.
Patito

Post by Patito »

madhammer wrote: But like you say he’s really blossomed the past 18 months to the point where he’s probably Milan’s most important and consistent offensive threat. And given the wages we can pay I’m sure we could put together a tempting wage packet that would make him consider leaving a former European heavyweight.

Milan (both the Milan clubs thinking about it) have, plenty of times in the past, let their better players go for relative peanuts as well. I'm sure he'd be a very realistic and reasonable target.
madhammer

Post by madhammer »

A name I haven’t seen mentioned before for the role of DM is Geoffrey Kondogbia.

He’s had an exceptional season while on loan at Valencia from Inter where he was deemed surplus to requirements and has been a key part in getting them back in to the CL.

Given how well he’s played I’d fully expect Valencia to be looking in to signing him, but I’m not 100% sure of the ongoing financial situation surrounding the club and if they even have an option to make it permanent.

Previously I’d have dismissed suggesting him, but with the news of Pellegrini and the rumoured wages we're paying him you’ve got to think he’s joined on the promise of proper investment.

Kondogbia is strong, mobile, good range of passing able to hold the ball, break a tackle and drive us up the field. He’d be an absolutely superb signing but one I accept might be a little beyond us, however after his career back step at Inter he might have fallen off the radar of the top clubs he previously interested.
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

Ciro Immobile please.

**insert mobility joke here**
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

and Sergio Romero please.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 780 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

joao mario seems much more a pellegrini player than a moyes player and peller's system is tailor made for him.

much rather see if the bloke can get a tune out of him than go in for the likes of nasri.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

Mean Ashton wrote:Ciro Immobile please.

**insert mobility joke here**
Sorry I just gotta: We already have Mark Immobile in the middle :D