Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Patito »

€25million?! Outstanding value
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Two young lads on trial at the club

http://sportwitness.co.uk/goalkeeping-b ... ue-1-side/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Patito wrote:€25million?! Outstanding value
I'm sure I read that somewhere yesterday.

Although I have been off my nut on medication lately, so every chance I could be talking b*llocks.
hxhammer

Post by hxhammer »

Ozza wrote:Balotelli having a medical at OM today, chalk that one off
Thank f&ck for that
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

I've read the same thing SH :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Ozza wrote:I've read the same thing SH :thup:
:thup:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Ozza wrote:Napoli in for Fornals apparently
My understanding was that Barca were monitoring him

However, given they seem to be buying the likes of KPB at the moment... maybe they don't have the fund to pull in all of the players they want...
S-H

Post by S-H »

Barcelona are either skint, or just really bad at identifying players now.

KPB :?
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

one interesting bit coming out from italian media regarding Balotelli, is that it looks like we asked him to wait a few days until arnautovic's transfer to china was completed, in order to close the deal.
Doesn't make 100% sense, since it would have been a free transfer anyway, but maybe they wanted to be sure to clear arnie's wages?
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

S-H wrote:Barcelona are either skint, or just really bad at identifying players now.

KPB to barca looks exactly like choupo-mouting to PSG. They'll know they won't play much (if ever), they are probably extremely cheap in terms of wages, and have that positionless appeal that works in fluid systems like those.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

So Bournemouth have spent 30m so far in January.
Haven't they out spent us over the last 3 years, all with a 10k capacity

We really should do better, come the summer all our targets will have more clubs looking to sign them.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

wobble wrote:So Bournemouth have spent 30m so far in January.
Haven't they out spent us over the last 3 years, all with a 10k capacity
I don't understand the various green eyed comments around Bournemouth in this thread. According to Transfermarkt our squad is worth 273m theirs is worth 214m... I asked the question yesterday, player for player, who would you swap?? Really only the full backs, and even then it is not a no brainer.

Wilson for Arnautovic? Ake for Diop? Fraser for Anderson? King for Lanzini? Their top players are no better than ours to be honest. I wouldn't even swap Howe for Pellegrini.

As for them outspending us over the past three seasons...

18/19
Bournemouth 80m
West Ham 94m

17/18
Bournemouth 30m
West Ham 51m

16/17
Bournemouth 36m
West Ham 75m

Bournemouth are enjoying arguably the best sustained period in their entire history and it is highly unlikely that they will get any better than this. We on the other hand are very much work in progress yet we are still two places ahead of them in the table.
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Ozza wrote:Bournemouth spent close to 30m this window.
Wilson to Chelsea turns that into a 20m profit
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Chelsea need to clear the decks before that happens, and doubtful it will be until the summer
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: I don't understand the various green eyed comments around Bournemouth in this thread. According to Transfermarkt our squad is worth 273m theirs is worth 214m... I asked the question yesterday, player for player, who would you swap?? Really only the full backs, and even then it is not a no brainer.
whilst i do agree with you that to a certain extent in that they are more a sum of their parts than blessed with very good individuals, they do have players who would challenge for a place in our team, or at least be on the bench IMHO
- Ake
- Fraser
- Wilson
- King
- Lewis Cook
- Brooks
- Lerma

players they have like Steve COok, Adam Smith, Charlie Daniels, Simon Francis, Dan Gosling etc may not be the best players but they are extremely competitive, consistent and reliable
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

S-H wrote:Barcelona are either skint, or just really bad at identifying players now.

KPB
Boateng to Barcelona shows just how good Messi is.
All they need is another good forward (Suarez) and a solid backline Pique/Umtiti/Alba/Roberto with Busqets and Rakitic in front, and they're good to go. They can even manage to lose Umtiti for a few months and still progress in every competition.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

I'd say that Bournemouths building of a squad is built on good foundations with a great crop of youngsters on the books, love their signings from the lower leagues.

Sutts I do think you miss that fellas key point however, their spending in comparison to club size and average gate far exceeds ours....
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: My point Crouchie, is how many would you do a straight swap for? I'd say not may...

- Ake - Diop
- Fraser - Anderson
- Wilson - Arnautovic
- King - Lanzini
- Lewis Cook - Nasri
- Brooks - Yarmolenko or Antonio
- Lerma - Rice
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Ozza wrote: Sutts I do think you miss that fellas key point however, their spending in comparison to club size and average gate far exceeds ours....
That wasn't his point at all. He was simply claiming they had spent more than us... they haven't.
(I actually think the main point he was making was that he doesn't like our owners and isn't happy about the move... nothing new there, we all feel that way)

They have spent 146m over the past three seasons, we have spent 220m so their spending is just 66% of ours.

I don't know how you compare club size but I don't think many would claim that we are twice the size of Bournemouth and looking at the Deloitte money list, their revenue is set at 159m euro and ours is 213m euro.
With that in mind I'd even be tempted to argue that we are under spending in terms of comparable club size.
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Good article about this from Sid Lowe on the Guardian yesterday. Basically Barcelona have had a proper scattergun approach to trying to find a striker and are trying to fill a gap for six months so they can rotate someone for Suarez and make a go of the Champions League. It's likely that Boateng won't be there long-term unless he really shines in the rest of the season, and he could be back at Sassuolo in the summer after the initial loan.

But basically Barca want to win the Champions League, and one of the reasons they identified that they didn't do so last year is not having anybody to take the place of Suarez up top. They didn't want to break the bank, especially after splashing cash on players like Coutinho and Dembele, so were looking for a player out of favour or available on a low cost deal. Morata was out because of cost, Stuani was considered but his release is EUR15m. Plus Barca have a huge proportion of turnover tied up in wages, something like 70% before last summer, and acknowledge they need to bring that down. All of that, plus some behind the scenes upheaval above the manager - sporting director changes and so on - so they're essentially in transition and don't have a strong chain of command going on, leading to a rough transfer strategy which includes the deals for Paulinho and Vidal.

Sorry, that's all a bit off topic I guess, but it was quite interesting to me that a club as Barca could be so fundamentally messed up behind the scenes.

Not sure about the source on this one, but it suggests we want EUR12m from Valencia for Hernandez and don't want a loan, which I guess is nothing new really: https://eldesmarque.com/valencia/valenc ... s-valencia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;