Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I’ve got a feeling Obiang might not be here in a week.
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

I rated Obiang for the longest time, he just seems to have no desire to play for us and isn't dynamic enough to warrant any spot on the team.

Hernandez must go as well. I'd start Perez over him in a heartbeat over this point.

Desperately need to solve our LB situation and invest in something we've all cried out for for years now; an athletic midfielder that can dictate the game with Rice and Lanzini.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I’ve been posting on here for 2 years that we need to replace Ogbonna and Masuaku and have said we needed to bring in Lloyd Kelly and and Chris Mepham. Tonight showed beyond any doubt I am right. We missed out on Mepham, we mustn’t miss out on Kelly. As for a centre back, Reece Burke who we let go is miles better than Ogbonna. We should try to get him back. As for Obiang, I’ll drive him to Fiorentina, and I’ll drop Chicharito off in Monaco or Valencia on the way if they haven’t lost interest.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I’d genuinely be on the phone tonight and all day tomorrow doing all I could to find buyers for...
Carroll, Hernandez, Perez, Obiang, Masuaku and Arnautovic.

Our season is all but over now so clear them all out and do what we can to get the likes of Gomez, Lobotka and Almiron in. I’d rather see us give the kids a chance for the rest of this season then give another minute to freeloading players who can’t be arsed to put a shift in.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Why are we spending on forwards? We have loads, and they are mostly pretty good. We've again scored a couple tonight.

The problem is at CB and CM.

I'd be looking at Reid, Ogbonna, Noble, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Wilshere, Obiang and thinking I'd want no more than two of them on the books at the start of next season - and one of those I'd be considering is subject to him recovering from long term injury. I could live with them all leaving unless Winston comes back fit.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I’ve got a feeling Obiang might not be here in a week.
Good.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang and Hernandez all need to leave in the next week. I'd take anything for them tbh just get them off the books.
Promote youth players until the end of the season if we can't replace them.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

bubbles1966 wrote:Why are we spending on forwards? We have loads, and they are mostly pretty good. We've again scored a couple tonight.

The problem is at CB and CM.

I'd be looking at Reid, Ogbonna, Noble, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Wilshere, Obiang and thinking I'd want no more than two of them on the books at the start of next season - and one of those I'd be considering is subject to him recovering from long term injury. I could live with them all leaving unless Winston comes back fit.
I actually totally forgot about Wilshere until I read it on your post.

I don't think we have pretty good forwards. We have Arnie and I would like to see Perez given more of a chance but we do need a striker. I do agree that we need to strengthen all the other areas you rmention too though.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

jhammers wrote:Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang and Hernandez all need to leave in the next week. I'd take anything for them tbh just get them off the books.

Yep. We're not going down, we won't be bothering the European places. It'll do 'em good.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Surely this is bullsh!t. Sky sports app reporting that Arnie has signed a contract extension. What the fack is going on.....
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

jhammers wrote:Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang and Hernandez all need to leave in the next week. I'd take anything for them tbh just get them off the books.
Add Carroll to that list (agree a payoff for the remainder his contract)
Almost impossible to get in experienced replacements at this stage, so go with the youth now.
Can’t be any worse than the above lot, and should show desire to impress.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

tavbet wrote:Surely this is bullsh!t. Sky sports app reporting that Arnie has signed a contract extension. What the fack is going on.....
On WHU official site also.
Trying to deflecting tonight shambles - you couldn’t make it up!
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Might as well keep Carroll in the stiffs his time is up June 1st anyway, Hernandez and Obiang and Ogbonna are prime for getting shot of, Masuaku can go to the glue factory absolute horror of a player
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Aceface wrote:You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get one past Taggart here
:D
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

That really was a signal of those who aren't good enough. Fringe players who have made a poor impression.

Carroll looks Sunday league.
Obiang is consistently poor with the ball at his feet - that second goal isn't an anomaly, he dawdles on possession often and is poor at protecting the ball in trouble.
Hernandez is on far too big a wage to be so absent in games so often.
Antonio is useful for the squad but if we could get good money, he can be upgraded easily.
Ogbonna has these games, so I'm not worried about him as third choice. I am worried about him as the only centre back alternative.
Masuaku is just not a left back and makes so many defensive errors.
Adrian made a mockery of competing with Fabianski.
Perez finished well, he often does, but I'd ship him out as he's one who has been mostly dreadful.

There's at the very least £40m (should be easily over £50m but we don't do well) of player there, and huge wages to be shorn of. Add in Fernandes, Oxford, Cullen, Martinez, Hugill, Byram, Sanchez - we should be capable of making a lot of our summer budget ourselves, not relying just on funds from the wallets of the dildos.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I can't see why Noble and Snodgrass are escaping the axe. The midfield got owned by Wimbledon.

Add that to Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford etc.

These players are incapable of elevating us in the absence of our few genuinely talented ones.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Lot of work to do this summer.

Outs: Adrian, Ogbonna, Reid, Masuaku, Obiang, Carroll, Perez, Hernandez, Arnie, Hugill, Sanchez, Byram, Fernandes, Oxford.

Ins: GK, CBx2, LB, CM, DM, STx3.

I’m not going to list a bunch of players I know very little about. Gomez for Arnie is a start. We probably need 2 signings in the £30-45m range (Gomez and a DM), two in the £20m range (ST and LB), 2-3 in the £10-15m range (ST, CB and CM), the rest in the <£10m range (Balbuena-like Husillos signings).

Probably £120m-150m spent, but with Arnie and others leaving we are probably bringing in £70-100m (Obiang, Hernandez, Ogbonna, etc. have all been the subject of bids in the ~£10m range in the past), we would only be spending in the £50-60m. Still a lot, but not entirely unrealistic.

Pellegrini and Husillos really have their work cut out for them. I will judge their work at West Ham after next season. Appreciate that it’s a lot of change in one window and a bit Football Manager, but needs must
Last edited by HoustonHammer24 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:I can't see why Noble and Snodgrass are escaping the axe. The midfield got owned by Wimbledon.

Add that to Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford etc.

These players are incapable of elevating us in the absence of our few genuinely talented ones.
I said this on the match thread. I love Snoddy but he was awful. Noble was beyond awful. Diop another who gets off Scot free.
The whole starting eleven was absolutely shocking, bar maybe Antonio
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Snodgrass’ form seems to have tailed off a little bit in the last few games. Hopefully it’ll pick back up. Don’t think he or Noble are going anywhere.

Centre midfield definitely still looks like the area to focus on to me. Wouldn’t surprise me to see us back in for Shelvey before the close of the window. Not that I think he’s the answer.

Obiang and Hernandez must be on the ‘accept if a slightly higher offer comes in’ list until the window shuts given we’ve already had offers for them this window.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Snodders hasn’t played the last couple of league games has he?