Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Gsbgsb »

The one place I can see a loan/buy is CM, yes Rice is first choice and rightly so but with Sanchez out we have zero cover. This may be seen as to dangerous a strategy to follow.

Much might then depend on the state of Arnie and Lanzini knees and whatever currently ails Wilshere.

If Arnie is likely to last the season we only buy/loan if we sell either AC or Hernandez - that is some £225,000 a week sitting on the bench or treatment table. Cannot imagine we will add to that.

With Yarmolenko out, if it is probable we will not see Lanzini much this season then I can see another attacking midfielder more in the MP mould who will, in the long term replace, Antonio who I suspect may go in the summer. I doubt the budding emergence of Diangana will stop this unless he has a stellar couple of months.

As for Wilshere he, Obiang, Noble and Snodgrass are vying for the more attacking 2 places in the midfield 3, again if all are fit (and especially if it is thought Lanzini may play a viable part in the season) that may be seen as enough for now. If it looks like he or Obiang might be another injury issue then another possibly on loan with a view to buy could be on the cards. This is where someone like a Loftus-Cheek would be ideal.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

After a window where they actually spent a bit of money I can't see anything other than back to the good ole' sell before buy-routine
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Before we buy,or even loan somebody, check their injury record first and if, whoever it is, has had ankle, achilles, calve, knee or groin injuries, leave well alone
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

very few players today will have completely no injuries..with the pace of the game etc. it is the players who have constant injuries or players with the same recurring injury you have to be careful of.

massively upgrading our facility wouldn't be amiss either

not going to happen though, like the Academy there's "no direct profit" in it for the triumvirate so they won't
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

We need 3 CM's, top quality ones with some pace.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We need one all round, box to box midfielder who knows where the net is.

Beyond that, the fitness of 6 or 7 players will be key, along with who is going out of contract.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

maybe one of the struggling PL teams/teams with an injury (not us) will be looking for say an Antonio ???

or a Fizzy team pushing for promotion ?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Carroll and Adrian are out of contract and one or two others are out of favour so a small reshuffle is certainly possible.

Man City aside, we've now got a run up to Xmas where we "should" be racking up points at a fairly brisk pace. If we aren't then questions will be asked.

Joao Mario not played a game at Inter this year?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Not really fussed with the January transfer window unless somebody really decent is available
Happy to wait until the Summer
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Not really fussed with the January transfer window unless somebody really decent is available
Happy to wait until the Summer
You are David Sullivan and I claim my £5.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

will depend upon the prognosis on Lanzini and Wilshere I imagine...

Both fit and available a DM should be a priority, maybe someone who can play 2 positions ? DM/CB or DM/FB ?

If they are both fit and Reid and Carroll match fit I can see only a loan on the MF (any) positions.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Would it be insane to buy a striker? Get someone that can really flourish alongside Arnie in the prefered 4-2-2-2?

I know ideally we would upgrade on Obiang, which is kind of harsh being that he has has probably his best season yet. But he, like so many of our players, is injury prone and inconsistent. A proper box to box midfielder to replace him would do us wonders. And I don't have any faith in that CM being Loftus-Cheek. Think he wants to go to a "bigger" club.

If we could sell Antonio and bring in a better RM then that would be excellent too.

Left back is the other issue, as Mas can't defend and Cressie has never been the same player after that injury. But with two players in that position I doubt we will buy another one, certainly not in January.

With a real Director of Football and a proper Manager, I have no idea who we are looking at to bring in. And that's a good thing. In the past it would be, "Oi, Marky boy, who do you have that's over 30 and was good in 2004?"
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't see us in for a striker with AC and Chicharito on the bench eating up 220K per and not getting on the field.

last thing I see us buying (until summer) is another F.

other positions I reckon is/are loan/loans and or a "sell one to buy one" scenario.....
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:don't see us in for a striker with AC and Chicharito on the bench eating up 220K per and not getting on the field.

last thing I see us buying (until summer) is another F.

other positions I reckon is/are loan/loans and or a "sell one to buy one" scenario.....
You're probably right, as usual.

Dream scenario would be to go all guns blazing for Hirving Lozano before one of the big boys comes swooping.

But yeah, that will never happen.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Whether we enter the buyers market in January will be determined by whether we are still stuck near the bottom of the table after this upcoming run of so-called 'winnable' games and of course the length of the injury list come January. But I hope we do have realistic targets in mind well before January and won't just be scratching around for anyone who no-one else wants anymore.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

nah mate he'll have a line of clubs after him as long as Green Street......

not a chance in hell he comes here.....they might make the Europa League - and they're probably win the Eriedivisie (sp ?) and already Barca have been sniffing around..

he can sit tight and take his pick....
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

If we sign Dzeko or Giroud it will Arnie worrying about starting up front not them.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Joao Mario not played a game at Inter this year?
On loan with a (cheaper) option could tick a few boxes for both clubs
Also wouldn’t be suprised to see Rafinha linked again given lack of game time

Loans would be my expectation for the window rather than outright purchases though
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

would that be the Rafinha that started for Barca today in the CL and scored the first goal ?

and I think started last league game or at least came off the bench for major minutes...
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Rafinha is covering for Messi - I suspect he will not see as much time when Messi is back. Interestingly of course given that he has missed 2 months twice because of muscle/knee injuries Messi would be on some people’s do not touch with a barge pole list.