The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by HammerAl »

Gone:
Adrian
Carroll
Nasri

Likely:
Fernandes
Hernandez
Obiang
Ogbonna
Oxford
Perez

Possible:
Cresswell
Reid
Sanchez

None of the above will be starters next season and could all be replaced in the squad by younger, fitter and less injury prone players on massively lower wages. I’d imagine the “possibles” to stay as they’d be hard to shift. Disappointed to see Nasri and Fernandes go but the boss will have seen enough of them to have made his mind up. And if it meant shifting those to bring in his no.1 target then it’s a no-brainer.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I’ve thought the messages from our board has always been the same. The fees outgoing are not the problem, it’s the wages that stop us bringing people in.

Shifting Hernandez and Perez along with Carroll and Nasri frees up a **** load of wages. Wouldn’t be surprised to see two £20m strikers come in.
That message has always been a front to avoid anger around not paying significant transfer fees.

Our whole strategy - big club hand me downs on high wages, older players, freebies and loans clearly shows the club wished to avoid paying transfer fees and the wage bill and squad age has been impacted as a result. Last summer was a massive step forward as it was the first window which was different since our move.
Last edited by hammer1975 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Unlikely anyone will take Reid

I guess Oggy will go. Maybe £7m?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

The thing people miss on here A LOT, is that when our board quote transfers fee's, budgets etc, they ALWAYS add in the wages and agents fee's.

So where most clubs would say they have bought a player for ten million, it's probably 7 million spread over the contract, 2 million in wages and a million in agents fee's and costs.

I would imaging selling is the same.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Marky wrote:Unlikely anyone will take Reid

I guess Oggy will go. Maybe £7m?
That would be my guess. Back to Italy, along with Obiang.

We have lots of players who were bought as first teamers or who got first team contracts that are essentially reserves or loaned out. I'd guess most of them are potential sales/offloads.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I'm amazed at this. It wont be easy to replace Perez and Hernandez for 10 million. Impossible I would think.

Both good to have in the squad.
I’m not sure that’s exactly true.

Chcharito £ 9m + £140k / week for 1 year (£7.2M) or £16.2M for 1 year for a player who scored 8 goals in 28 appearances across all competitions and is 31 years old,
Danny Ings, Andre Gray, Bobby Reid and Shane long put up similar numbers and for1 year would probably cost similar over 1 year, . More to the point, I think players like Che Adams or Neal Maupay would put up similar numbers and are 22. Adams May cost a bit more but both will have bigger sell on values.

Perez £2.25M + £80k/ week for 2 years (9.32m) or £11.57m for 2 years for 3 goals in 15 premier league appearances. Karlan Grant scored 4 goals and one assist in 13 Premier League appearances on a much worse team and Cost £2.m on £25k a week. Perez is 30, Grant is 21.
Even if we paid £6m for Grant and doubled his wages he’d still cots roughly the same as Perez over 2 years and he’d still have a sell on value.

If we believe the club amortizes the transfer fee over the life of the contract so for Chicharito £9m for 1 year and Perez £1.1m per year, We can sign Maxi Gomez or Belotti for £45m and Grant for £6m on £100k and £45k a week respectively on 5 year deals and still be around £4m ahead for next year (wage differential). 2 years from now, Both new strikers would have a sell on value, possibly higher than our original outlay. The same is true 3 and 4 years from now when Gomez would be 25 or 26 and Grant 24 or 25 still entering their prime. Belotti would still be younger than either Perez or Chicharito are now.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Peaches wrote:
I’m not sure that’s exactly true....
OI ! ... none of this progressive forward thinking around here. This is West Ham you know.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Thanks.
Read somewhere that there is still a chance that he will re-sign for Porto as he wants European football. Move to our place doesn’t seem likely.

Unrelated but....Feghouli is ripping it up in the Turkish League....
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

I thought FFP was all about the wages rather than anything else...
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

HammerAl wrote:I thought FFP was all about the wages rather than anything else...
It is, it’s wages against income, or turnover, or something.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Nobody else seems to worry about FPP, all a load of nonsense from up above.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

The main metric of FFP is wages, however another component is profitability, you can’t run a loss more than 2 years in a row. Player amortization is included in the income statement so indirectly transfer fees are also impacted by FFP. That is why Chelsea are talking about FFP in regards to not letting Hazard go for free next summer, We are going to report a loss this year so we need to be more careful with transfer fees for a year or two. I think that is a big part of the reason why there is more of a focus on signing younger players on smaller wages but for bigger fees with longer amortization.
For example, if we sell Chicharito for £9m this year, this may look like a £7m loss vs. What we paid for him. Most if not all of that £7m has already been amortized, but it will be a £9m loss this year if we don’t sell him,
For the same reason, players like Lanzini and Masuaku may be sold if we don’t extend their contracts this summer, and Cresswell and Antonio may be sold if decent offers come in as they are on biggish wages 29 and at the end of the season they will be 30 with only a year left on their contracts.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

HammerAl wrote:I thought FFP was all about the wages rather than anything else...
Explained here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29361839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This bit made me smile:
Qatar-owned Paris St-Germain received a similar punishment to City. They were deemed to have failed the test when the CFCB decided their back-dated £167m sponsorship contract with the
Qatar Tourism Authority, which wiped out their losses, had an unfair value.

Hmm, who was it got awarded the 2022 World Cup? :think:
Last edited by uptonparkhurst on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Thanks everyone :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1668 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a question on Gomes is:

having spent 12 months @ Everton and their staff having the ability to evaluate him, why are they not moving heaven and earth to get him signed ? it's not that they don't have the money.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I'm amazed at this. It wont be easy to replace Perez and Hernandez for 10 million. Impossible I would think.

Both good to have in the squad.
Exactly what I was saying yesterday and was accused of "whinging" for thinking this. It's plain as day they won't be replaced adequately.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

hammers92 wrote:Nobody else seems to worry about FPP, all a load of nonsense from up above.
Precisely.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:a question on Gomes is:

having spent 12 months @ Everton and their staff having the ability to evaluate him, why are they not moving heaven and earth to get him signed ? it's not that they don't have the money.

How do you know they’re not? It sounds like they are negotiating and bidding. The player is probably weighing up his options right now there’s no need for him to rush as seemingly there are a few teams after him.