The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sherbet Dab
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Sherbet Dab »

Ozza wrote:I don’t want us to sell Diop, but clearly joining as a young player in the best league in the world, playing 30 plus games and then moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world would clearly make us more attractive as a club than less?

Weird logic on here today
We are a big club, like it or not, we're top Four in the London clubs and likely to move up Once Abramovic get's bored with his toys at Chelsea, this is the project Pellegrini signed up for.
No need to sell Diop unless a ridiculously stupid offer over £80m comes in, if he has another impressive season then let the 'big boys' fight it out over a large transfer fee next summer window when fresh young talent has been scouted and identified elsewhere by MP + MH
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

Big club compared to who? Not compared to the clubs who are after our players

Our owner is a snake of a human being let’s see if he has the minerals to resist a 40m profit.
Last edited by Ozza on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Westbourne Bill wrote:I think he’s ok, but seriously if Man U with all their wealth think Diop is the answer to their defensive problems, they really will continue to fail to bridge the gap to the top two. He’s certainly no Rio nor will ever be.
My thoughts entirely not many months ago when he was struggling playing without the General alongside him in our side, I was seriously wondering if he was going to make it with us and I remember only once that he was picked out for praise on MOTD. I actually laughed when I saw the first reports of supposed Mancs interest it seemed so ludicrous. I suspect he would have a 1 in 3 chance at best establishing himself there with all the problems surrounding them whatever the true nature of his potential let alone then going on to prove he is serious Champions League class as most there both inside the club and amongst the fans would be expecting.

It actually proves just how limited they are presently in attracting the class of player they really need to improve that they are taking their version of punts on younger players with hope over expectation of becoming the standard they so badly need. Next season will be his true proving ground it would be nice if he had the sense to see the bigger picture for the sake of his own career but that too often doesn't happen with young players with all the outside pressures when star dust is sprinkled in their direction ready or not for the true test that comes in its wake.
Last edited by e-20 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

S-H wrote:These "Big" clubs make me laugh.

Why can't they go out and scout their own 'Diops' then they wouldn't have to pay the huge prices they are quoted by the clubs, who actually put scouting to good use.
because that wouldn't be a big club mentality.
It's why they win these teams win titles these days.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

This won't be about selling to invest, sulli wanting to cash in or anything like that. it'll be whether Diop's head is turned by being wanted as part of rebuilding the team of one of the world's biggest clubs. If it was Leicester, Everton, Wolves or similar I'd say **** off but if it's Manu, man city or Liverpool then it's the sort of thing an ambitious young player will want to go for, and all we can argue about is how much.
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

Another thing they will take into consideration is if by selling and then reinvesting we become a better team. If there is someone available who is Diop v2 and we can reinvest elsewhere and challenge higher it will make sense.

If we dont see that we could be improved then they wont do it.

Its similar to Saints, they sold Lovren and replaced with van dijk and had money to reinvest. That went well. But then they sold van dijk, didnt replace and spunked the money. Which is why they are where they are
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

man united want maguire and leicester are playing hardball

by showing interest in Diopp they are trying to force leicester to panic and accept their offer...
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Man Utd have been "rebuilding" for the last 6 year's with no sign of improvement and with Ole at the wheel that'll probably continue. If Diop really believes in himself and wants Champions League football eventually he'd be better off waiting for this Improvement to actually get started or wait for a team that's actually there already. From our point of view this is the closest with been to Man Utd since I don't know when. Keep Diop and try to continue closing the gap or sell him to them and increase the gap? If there's a better defender we can replace Diop with, why not let Man Utd find him Instead
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nited.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't want him and would prefer to keep Diop anyway Headbanger
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Aceface wrote:
Honestly, I'm not even sure it matters if he becomes world class, you just need to be *good enough*.

He has a good chance of making the fringes of the French squad in the next year or so which alone would tack another 8 figures onto his price tag. Leaving aside the arguments related to the effect on the pitch, as a strictly financial decision it doesn't make any sense to let him go now when prices get sillier year upon year.
Spot on theres a certain irony in Mancs being forced to make this sort of deal because they simply can't compete with their usual adversaries at the moment. To them this is a punt and in the process Diop's career is mere cannon fodder to them for in a few years they would still be able to get rid losing no more than pocket change for them if he fails. In a year or two his price would be much greater and likely they will struggle to compete with others likely to be interested anyway so the need now to get him while they still might.

I would hate to see a young player's career put in such jeopardy under the influence of star dust being so liberally sprinkled in his direction before he is ready, but in the end he wouldn't be the first to to fall for it would he. Logic strongly suggests however holding back for a year or two would do far more for his overall career but I guess the fear of never quite reaching the level where the chance arises again is always in the back of their minds at such a young age, so assured 15 minutes of fame now is a big attraction whatever the risk of longer term failure in ones career it brings with it.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

honestly who has really benefited from moving to man u in recent years?

i mean, other than financially.

weigh that up against those whose stock has dropped, or plateaued at best.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I think it is inevitable that Rice,Diop and Anderson will move on soon.Keep them, add quality to them and see where we are this time next year.
Manchester U are in turmoil, they have an unproven manager that is under pressure right from the start and I think we have never had a better chance of finishing above them - ditto Chelsea.
If we cling on to them and have to take "cheap options" due to a restrictive budget, we are reverting back to Sulli's default of backing a new manager and then letting them "fend for themselves" and we will be wasting what little time we have with those players.
Pellegrini and Husillos are not the "Messiahs" some of us are painting them out to be and they are still working within the confines that Sulli's joke of a DOF has created and will find it hard to move on the likes of Hernandez,Ogbonna and Obiang, because of the wages he enticed them in with - But they do know what they are doing and they need to be backed every bit as much this window as last,imo.We cannot keep the revolving door of "second rate/cheap" temp "fillers" open, because we have such a piddling budget, in PL terms.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Thankfully, that's from the express....
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Patito wrote:

Thankfully, that's from the express....

:lol: Like that will stop another 5 pages of outrage, theories and arguments
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Norwegian press have claimed that Solskjær want Declan Rice for almost half a year already
Patito

Post by Patito »

woodford wrote:

:lol: Like that will stop another 5 pages of outrage, theories and arguments

True Image

Well, 43 minutes ago, he commented on West Ham's latest Instagram post saying "see you all soon hammers" with a love heart and crossed hammers emojis. I hope he didn't mean in a Man Utd shirt.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

hongkonghammer wrote:...as long as we use that 60 million we could improve the team.
It's a "no" from me, because in the vast majority of cases history has proved it doesn't.

And it would be a "no" until we get to the £100million mark. Let's see how much Man Utd really want him.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Up the Junction wrote:n't.

And it would be a "no" until we get to the £100million mark. Let's see how much Man Utd really want him.
Agreed on that. We have no reason to sell him. they are the "world richest club". Lets see how much they actually back the midget ( their one , not ours ) .

£100m is nothing to the mighty Man U, given his age this is about right

I say this with the thought in my head that all this started from the moany **** of a previous manager who commented on Diop before getting sacked. All the hard evidence a UK sports writer needs, right there in a convenient little package
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Ozza wrote:
And what about the other teams that finished above us last season?
Think Wolves and Everton we again should be competing against regularly i also think the same with Leicester, i think Wolves are one of them teams that you wouldnt be surprised dropped into the bottom half next season.

I think we should be looking at top 7 i think it will be disappointing if that isnt our target