The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Ben »

wonder what the board would do if offered £120m ish for the pair though..
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

“We should not be a selling club and must keep our best players if we are to progress”

“I can’t believe we would sell X, same old West Ham”

“We never sell our best players for mega money like Everton”

“We should cash in and reinvest the vast amounts on rebuilding”

Love this forum
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Dortmund re-signing Mats Hummels is pretty interesting. Probably has no impact on us - I doubt Bayern are going to be sniffing around Diop or Balbuena - but interesting in the context of the Bundesliga.

See also Atletico Madrid are expecting to sign Joao Felix, hoping to pay less than his €120m release clause if possible but willing to pay it if needs be. Honestly, when teams are willing to pay costs like that for young players with a whiff of talent and one good professional season behind them, you do have to ask if the game is going mad.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

YorksHammer wrote:Dortmund re-signing Mats Hummels is pretty interesting. Probably has no impact on us - I doubt Bayern are going to be sniffing around Diop or Balbuena - but interesting in the context of the Bundesliga.

See also Atletico Madrid are expecting to sign Joao Felix, hoping to pay less than his €120m release clause if possible but willing to pay it if needs be. Honestly, when teams are willing to pay costs like that for young players with a whiff of talent and one good professional season behind them, you do have to ask if the game is going mad.
It definitely has. If ever get huffy about how rubbish and noncompetitive our league is, I look at France, Germany and Spain and feel a little bit more fortunate.

I'd be quite glad if there was a European super league now and all those interested in those teams could toddle off and leave us to our National league.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Pocket Pardew wrote:“We should not be a selling club and must keep our best players if we are to progress”
What's wrong with the above comment? You think we should sell our best players to progress?
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Ben wrote:wonder what the board would do if offered £120m ish for the pair though..
I think we all know that!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Let’s assume a player is not angling for a move (Payet).

If your squad/team is run by professionals and they decide to sell the perceived best player then that is the right decision because it is the one they made. You can sacrifice the individual to improve the whole - Liverpool are better as a team with Van Dyk and Allison than they were with Coutinho.

Would we have been wrong to cash in on Reid or Kouyate several years ago when they were both attracting interest? At the time we adopted the “not for sale at any price” approach and certainly with Reid gave him an extended contract to keep him happy. Thing is at the time transfers etc were in essence the fiefdom of DS and arguably not only did he get recruitment wrong but retention as well. To an extent Bilic might have influenced this but if he did for me it simply adds to the questions regarding his judgement on occasion. Neither were irreplaceable.

If the decision was to sell Diop and that decision made by MP/MH then however much I might not like it I would have to respect it. They must be the people making the decision though not the “money men”. MP/MH know their broad budget limits, if they are willing to work within those to get new players in then no “unforced by the player” sale should happen.

People say we have not sold players for the sums the likes of which Everton get, to be honest save for Payet and pre-injury Lanzini until now we have not had the quality of player to justify that fee. We have not had to worry about the likes of the Manchester clubs poaching our best because our best have not been good enough. Now we have better quality players so this type of storey will become more common. The hope is we sign Gomez, that will only likely be a successful signing, given the fees involved, if this time next year the press will try to link him to the top 6 and major European clubs.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Patito wrote:What's wrong with the above comment? You think we should sell our best players to progress?
I think he was just pointing out the extremities of the differing opinions... no?

On your view... it's not black and white. Some clubs have to sell their best players in order to progress... some do and it's a disaster.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote: But I personally do not get in this discussion about wages... as everyone knows, the cost of life, for example, is cheaper in Spain... or, you could find nowhere all over the world such a wages as in England... no sense discussion, imho.

Hdez has already played in Spain, so he know how it is, and its different, of curse. Thats it, so, do not compare, take it or leave it. 8-)

Cheers!
The cost iof living is irrelevant to players really, it's the tax rate that makes the difference. A bottle of milk or a gallon of petrol means nothing !!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

West Ham posted celebratory videos of “We’ve got Diop” on all the social media platforms.

That alongside supposedly (at least in the media) asking for £60m + Martial is excellent in my opinion. Proper shithousery and without our owners and Brady making a scene with useless comments like in the past, we are shoving it in Man U and any other big teams face that we aren’t going to be pushovers here.

If you want him, overpay and spend a world record fee for a defender on him.
Last edited by Aztec Hammer on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Well this has been an incredibly uneventful week so far (excluding the frenzy of exaggerated or made-up media stories about Diop and Rice). I'll be heading to Snowdonia tomorrow for my annual attempt at the Welsh 3000s challenge and won't be back until Saturday morning when I'll expect lot's of exciting news that I missed!

Edit: can't complain though... this is how our business should be done - quietly!
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Well this has been an incredibly uneventful week so far (excluding the frenzy of exaggerated or made-up media stories about Diop and Rice). I'll be heading to Snowdonia tomorrow for my annual attempt at the Welsh 3000s challenge and won't be back until Saturday morning when I'll expect lot's of exciting news that I missed!

Edit: can't complain though... this is how our business should be done - quietly!
Zoltaneering
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

What happened to Pellegrini wanting to install a big club mentality into West Ham?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the fans as well as the players so get a grip and listen to what he's saying!

The old West Ham mentality would be selling Diop and Rice this week, under this new regime no chance!

The likes of Man Utd etc still think we are that club that sells its jewels on the cheap! they can get lost and do one!
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aztec Hammer wrote:West Ham posted celebratory videos of “We’ve got Diop” on all the social media platforms.

That alongside supposedly (at least in the media) asking for £60m + Martial is excellent in my opinion. Proper shithousery and without our owners and Brady making a scene with useless comments like in the past, we are shoving it in Man U and any other big teams face that we aren’t going to be pushovers here.

If you want him, overpay and spend a world record fee for a defender on him.
I hear ya and obviously agree, but that last bit, we've been here before... 8-)

The Rio deal at the time still gives me nightmares. We were on the cusp of doing great things had we kept him longer than we did. I'd hate to see us make similar mistakes twice, not just jumping at the first sight of big money, but also how the Club allowed the money to be poorly spent without much of a plan with what to do with it (What I call the burnt pocket effect).

I accept it's not entirely realistic to always keep our best, but my preference is to resist as much as possible to sell our very best players. I'd rather build around them, than trying to replace what we valuably lost, which is an extremely difficult thing to achieve whilst plate spinning the rest of the team to improve.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Lord Zoltan wrote:Zoltaneering
Good word! never heard that one before - I've just looked it up :)
Patito

Post by Patito »

westlondonhammer wrote: I think he was just pointing out the extremities of the differing opinions... no?
In which case, I don't see the problem with people having polar opposite views. I'd imagine it's the same on most forums on most topics. Kind of the whole point of having a forum. :?
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote:West Ham posted celebratory videos of “We’ve got Diop” on all the social media platforms.
please don't mention that f*ckin' god awful song, i am sure it induced tinnitus in chubby baby and hastened his departure, everywhere the poor ****er went around London, the dirge was not far behind
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Gsbgsb wrote:If your squad/team is run by professionals and they decide to sell the perceived best player then that is the right decision because it is the one they made. You can sacrifice the individual to improve the whole - Liverpool are better as a team with Van Dyk and Allison than they were with Coutinho.
You can - but the difference is that despite the player (Coutinho) wanting away Liverpool got another season or two. Similarly Chelsea (Hazard) and Leicester (Mahrez) to name a couple more. They didn't just grab the first offer, despite it may have been good.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Give it a rest with the knicker wetting stuff, some of us are too burnt by 10 years of the midget and his mate to not think he’ll get his grubby little hands involved at some point when the lure of a nice profit becomes too much.

A start would be a new manager having two decent summer transfer windows in a row, it’s never happened before.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:
I hear ya and obviously agree, but that last bit, we've been here before... 8-)

The Rio deal at the time still gives me nightmares. We were on the cusp of doing great things had we kept him longer than we did. I'd hate to see us make similar mistakes twice, not just jumping at the first sight of big money, but also how the Club allowed the money to be poorly spent without much of a plan with what to do with it (What I call the burnt pocket effect).

I accept it's not entirely realistic to always keep our best, but my preference is to resist as much as possible to sell our very best players. I'd rather build around them, than trying to replace what we valuably lost, which is an extremely difficult thing to achieve whilst plate spinning the rest of the team to improve.
I certainly don’t disagree with that. If you told me, we’d repeat history and spunk all the money away or not even reinvest it entirely, all bets are off. Obviously don’t sell in that case.

At some point though, theoretically, if we are offered an obscene amount that Pellegrini and Husillos seem to be comfortably in excess of Diop’s worth (I’d argue a world record fee nearing £80m would be that for me) then we should trust their judgment and let them go to work with that £80m.

I think our recruitment setup is obviously leaps and bounds from those dark days of Rio and the rest.

But yeah, the base position for me right now would be to just keep Diop and build as we are doing. The above is just working under the idea that we received a mega offer.