The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

faubert93
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by faubert93 »

One thing I cannot fault in all of this is Hernandez attitude. Turns up to training, puts the effort in, and no team disruption...despite being keen on a move away. He has even openly stated if he stays or goes, he will still give it his all.

I don't think he suits our team or style of play, but as a character, I wish more were like him and snodgrass etc. (Professional)

Personally, I'd like to see Rondon in, Before Hernandez goes (if he does).
And then a replacement for Arnie. Who that is I don't know. But don't rush and throw money at players who don't want to be here.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It is completely Sully's fault if we missed out. What was stopping hm from making this high bid at the start of the window, or even before it opened? Arnie was going to go, so surely he knew we were going to get at least £20m back anyway.

I still am a little annoyed how much we are selling Arnie for too. We have practically made no profit from this signing. Could you imagine the clubs above us selling a player of his talent as cheaply as we are?

We certainly have a terrible habit of selling players too cheaply:

- Football writer's player of the year and England International Scott Parker - sold for £5-6m;

- Nominee for Ballon d'Or, France international Dimitri Payet - sold for £25m;

- Arnie sold for no more than £24m.

All these players, the first 2 especially sold when they were at their peak. Shocking business all around. :thdn:
Patito

Post by Patito »

funky chicken wrote: It is completely Sully's fault if we missed out. What was stopping hm from making this high bid at the start of the window, or even before it opened?
We didn't have the money. (ca. £40million?)
funky chicken wrote: Arnie was going to go, so surely he knew we were going to get at least £20m back anyway.
It looked, for all intents and purposes, as though Arnie was going to be part of the squad this season. There was nothing to suggest otherwise.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

funky chicken wrote:It is completely Sully's fault if we missed out. What was stopping hm from making this high bid at the start of the window, or even before it opened? Arnie was going to go, so surely he knew we were going to get at least £20m back anyway.
You do know he isn't in charge of transfers now hey? We have a highly paid DOF working closely with the manager.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

funky chicken wrote:
All these players, the first 2 especially sold when they were at their peak. Shocking business all around. :thdn:
They're low, no doubt, but missing some critical context makes it sound worse.

All three were 30 in the year the were sold. And there was relegation, and two players going on strike for a specific non-elite club, respectively.

I think we wanted to sell Parker fwiw. Needed to shift him to bring in Nolan.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If we want to sell Hernades, why was he never offered as part ex for Gomez ? I know we are stymied over his wages, but is that the only reason and just how much would a wage cut mean to him now anyway
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

kitthehammer wrote:Id rather we just took the £22 mil for arnie and paid the release clause of £16.5 for rondon, before we try again for gomez who it would appear, doesn’t want to come.
I think we can put two and two together here.

We'd already bid £25m for Maxi Gomez, with Celta (I believe) wanting nearer £30m. We were perhaps hoping to sign Gomez to replace Hernandez and keep Arnie and Gomez as our first choice two strikers.

But now Arnie has an offer and would like to leave so we need to get two in to allow us to replace Hernandez and Arnie. We know that we also have an interest in Rondon, who is second on our striker hitlist.

So, we sell Arnie for £22m, which gives us funding to sign Rondon, and can use the spare ~£5m to top up our bid for Gomez and go back in for him.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

funky chicken wrote:Arnie sold for no more than £24m:
29 and 30 is the same as £1.99.and £2.00

And so it has been proved. 12mil drop in price in a matter of months.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

My following of events is that Valencia was always Gomez preferred choice. As long as they could agree a deal he would go. Only mega money might change that and time will tell. I don’t blame the player at all. I don’t blame West Ham. But I do hope we have a few other irons in the fire.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Puff, you're basically asking why Hernandez doesn't want to take a severe wage cut to go fight a relegation battle instead of staying here, earning his PL wage before leaving on a lucrative Bosman at the end of the season.

And that's before you even get to the small matter of whether Celta Vigo even want him.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

This makes the decision to let Perez go for a nominal fee quite baffling now doesn’t it.

Looks like we are gonna head into the season considerably lighter up-top now unless they sign 3 strikers before the window closes. Even then it could go a bit hit or miss for a while with a new strike force (not that is doesn’t anyway at West Ham.)

Probably been said loads on this thread but they should of let Arnautovic go ideally in the Jan window if not at the end of the season then had a cohesive plan to replace him instead of going for this half-cocked approach to signing Gomez like we’ve seen so many times over the years (Bacca, Bats, Carvalho etc etc.)

You just know we’re gonna end up with Rondon, Strurridge and Welbeck now. :cry:
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

*&* reporting that Gomez is looking like he is heading to Valencia.

Not the best of sources, but they do seem to have an announcement photo of him in a Valencia shirt.

Could all be twitter photoshop nonsense mind.....
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

tbh though, there is still a month to go before the window closes and most of the time we dont get to hear of the signings until they pretty much happen. I would like rondon though.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

funky chicken wrote:It is completely Sully's fault if we missed out. What was stopping hm from making this high bid at the start of the window, or even before it opened? Arnie was going to go, so surely he knew we were going to get at least £20m back anyway.

I still am a little annoyed how much we are selling Arnie for too. We have practically made no profit from this signing. Could you imagine the clubs above us selling a player of his talent as cheaply as we are?

We certainly have a terrible habit of selling players too cheaply:

- Football writer's player of the year and England International Scott Parker - sold for £5-6m;

- Nominee for Ballon d'Or, France international Dimitri Payet - sold for £25m;

- Arnie sold for no more than £24m.

Agree,

People will say this isn’t the owner’s fault, but if we’d bid what we are bidding at the last minute three weeks ago, there’s no doubt our odds would at the very least have been better. And even if we’d failed, we’d have saved time to move onto other targets. Now we’re really desperate and every other side with a striker we want knows it. :fsake:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

steps wrote: You just know we’re gonna end up with Rondon, Strurridge and Welbeck now. :cry:
Although that’s not what I want, at least we’d have three strikers. I can see us starting the season with just one plus Xande Silva at the moment.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

steps wrote:This makes the decision to let Perez go for a nominal fee quite baffling now doesn’t it.
Maybe not.

I don't believe in coincidences. The fact that we are chasing an Alaves player (Maripan) coupled with us letting Perez go at a nominal fee has to be linked in my mind.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

steps wrote:Probably been said loads on this thread but they should of let Arnautovic go ideally in the Jan window
And in a sliding doors scenario they would have got absolutely hammered for doing so.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Everyone should relax.

Pellegrini will get it done. We aren't going to start the season without bringing in a good striker.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

looking for scapegoats with 4/5 weeks left of the window , with 1 fantastic signing already in , is ridiculous . we can blame the world if come 9/10th august we have no strikers and arnie has gone , until then lets not look for wildly innacurate theories , made up from tit bits from click bait sites
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

A good number of folks have been stroking their penises over Husillos and Pellegrini's smooth transfer making machine the past few months. If you're one of them, you can't in a good faith argument immediately switch back to pinning things on Sullivan when there's a set-back.