The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by jhammers »

Lets hope we have a second choice striker ready to sign should this Gomez deal fall through.

People saying don't panic but the window closes in 4 weeks and our first pre season game is on Thursday...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Jacob Steinberg
Valencia emerging as favourites to sign Maxi Gomez. West Ham still negotiating over how payment of €50m fee with Celta Vigo will be structured. #whufc likely to need to make strong progress today.
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Personal preference here, but i hope we get Belotti rather than Gomez. :scarfer:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Maxi Gomez is too close to call with Valencia flipping to slight favourites 60/40 this morning.
Celta Vigo are being difficult with West Ham but Hammers think there is still a chance of landing their man. People involved in the deal have different opinions which way it will go!
ExWHUemployee

@ExWHUemployee
5m5 minutes ago
More ExWHUemployee Retweeted West Ham Football
This is is exactly what I am being told. It’s literally changing on an hourly basis. The club don’t really know themselves at this point
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

IMO it's careless we agreed to sell Arnie without already having a replacement brought into the club.

How disorganised is that!? :P

Ex I see says we will know inside the next 48 hours what's happening with Gomez. Can't wait until it's over. As we certainly can't wait any more time over this.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Discobar wrote:Gomez not worth the fee. Best if this one falls through. Completely mugging ourselves off.
Based on lots of watching him? I ask because I've seen a bit of him play and would say he's very much worth the fee - particularly if he's the one that Pellegrini wants (ooh ooh oooooh). Especially as a 22 year old who will improve.

But - I still would rather Belotti.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

jhammers wrote:Lets hope we have a second choice striker ready to sign should this Gomez deal fall through.

People saying don't panic but the window closes in 4 weeks and our first pre season game is on Thursday...
The fact that our pre-season game is on Thursday possibly doesn't make much difference depending on who we buy - If they've been playing in the Copa America, African Nations Cup, or Euro U21's then they'll be on extended leave. We probably won't see Fornals play a game until after the squad return from China.

I know the window closes in 4 weeks. I know our first pre-season game is on Thursday. I'm still saying don't panic. I think you'd all benefit and feel better with a bit more of a 'c’est la vie' attitude. Work those shoulder shrugging muscles.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

funky chicken wrote:IMO it's careless we agreed to sell Arnie without already having a replacement brought into the club.

How disorganised is that!? :P
Is it?

You'd rather we kept him and risk having him in our squad next season when interested teams moved onto other targets? Potentially saving something like £300k in wages in the process as well.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

fjthegrey wrote:You'd rather we kept him and risk having him in our squad next season when interested teams moved onto other targets? Potentially saving something like £300k in wages in the process as well.
I never said I'd keep him. I said get a replacement signed first. Then by all means sell him. That's what any sensible club would do.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

It wouldn't be summer without a tedious, overly drawn-out, striker pursuit.
Patito

Post by Patito »

If we went after a replacement and they took a while to complete (ie. Gomez) you run the risk of the buying club going after someone else, then we'd be stuck with Arnie. He's toxic and it was best to wash our hands of him ASAP.
Last edited by Patito on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Imagine Belotti playing up front for us it would be a thing of beauty!

There’s something about having an Italian Talisman, Ogbonna’s not cutting the mustard and I’m still having nightmares about David Di Michele
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Is there any indication why Celta are (apparently) so unwilling to sell to us? Seems they're bending over backwards to sell at a huge discount to Valencia instead of taking above market value from us. Am I missing something significant here? Our desire to pay installments (presumably, incurring interest, too) can't be that off-putting, can it?

I know Valencia were offering someone part-ex, too, but still - that's a lot of money they're apparently turning down, and for a club who were so close to dropping leagues, it seems like a big gamble.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

HammerPDC wrote:Imagine Belotti playing up front for us it would be a thing of beauty!
Reading about Belotti...

In the 2017–18 season, Belotti was appointed captain on a permanent basis. He scored his first goal of the season with a scissor-kick in a 3–0 win against Sassuolo. Often injured, he was unable to repeat his performance of the previous season, scoring 10 league goals

Sounds perfect.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

DasNutNock wrote:Is there any indication why Celta are (apparently) so unwilling to sell to us? Seems they're bending over backwards to sell at a huge discount to Valencia instead of taking above market value from us. Am I missing something significant here? Our desire to pay installments (presumably, incurring interest, too) can't be that off-putting, can it?

I know Valencia were offering someone part-ex, too, but still - that's a lot of money they're apparently turning down, and for a club who were so close to dropping leagues, it seems like a big gamble.
I've read that Celta are trying to be "honourable" to their deal with Valencia.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

frankiemac wrote:i think we will get a marquee striker, but i actually think we have other options

yarmalenko can do a job there, as can antonio...even Anderson...
...if he can stay fit of course or even match fit after so long here and with his previous club injured. Not great for someone of his age trying to get back wo where he was and even then he was never really more than an emergency in that role one presumes for good reasons.
Patito

Post by Patito »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Reading about Belotti...

In the 2017–18 season, Belotti was appointed captain on a permanent basis. He scored his first goal of the season with a scissor-kick in a 3–0 win against Sassuolo. Often injured, he was unable to repeat his performance of the previous season, scoring 10 league goals

Sounds perfect.

Andrea Belotti: League appearances only, the past 4 seasons: 37, 32, 35, 35.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Seems that if we do not have the cash up front we do not get Gomez.

Now whilst we should be able to raise the money I anticipate the current internal discussions are over the impact on budget going forward and other deals. As long as the final decision on how the budget is spent lies with MP/MH then fine. If they want Gomez knowing it might mean no or lower quality other deals then that is their decision to make.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

West Ham expect Maxi Gomez transfer breakthrough this week as Valencia battle reaches conclusion
West Ham hope to find out this week if they have won the race to sign Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez ahead of Valencia.

The Hammers have been locked in talks with Gomez in a bid to convince him to turn down Champions League football to move to the London Stadium.

West Ham have made the 22-year-old their top target to replace Marko Arnautovic and are ready to trigger his £43.5million release clause.

Gomez had been leaning towards a move to stay in Spain but West Ham hope to hijack Valencia's deal. The Uruguay international was today still deciding his future.

West Ham have accelerated a move for Gomez after deciding to sell Marko Arnautovic to Shanghai SIPG for £22.5m. Manuel Pellegrini identified Gomez as his top target to replace Arnautovic and West Ham are prepared to smash their transfer record to sign him.

Gomez scored 14 goals in La Liga last season to help Celta Vigo avoid relegation.

West Ham want to sign at least one striker before the transfer window closes as Pellegrini looks to refresh his forward line for next season.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 85476.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

****ring ring****
Oh hello, is that Barclays Bank?
Yes, good, could you tell me if a cheque has cleared...

Yeah, it’s in the name of Arnie China money....

It hasn’t - oh gawd....