The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by hammer1975 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Have we signed a decent left back yet?
We don’t need one apparently Bristol - learnt from this thread that Cresswell and Masuaku are perfectly good enough and it’s defensive midfield that was the problem because modern full backs should be focused on attacking. That’s why they have 3 assists and no goals between them last season and we had the second highest number of shots conceded. Oh, and if we keep the ball better than they won’t be exposed (despite the fact they are two of the most wasteful players in the squad with possession).

As we’re not improving full back it’s lucky that we’re buying another proven defensive mid to sit next to Declan .....oh
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've got a suspicion that Johnson may turn out to be a decent option. Byram actually looked ok today too, both defensively and going forward. Adds a bit of aerial ability to the defence too. Shame that we're selling him on the cheap really, I always quite liked him.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

It's Sully season. We had a terrible defensive record last year. Cresswell and Masuaku were poor all season.

Not as fashionable to want a left back though.

If we don't sign one we will have a left back that can't defend and one that can't get back to defend.

Still, strikers are more fun to talk about
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

We currently have more left backs than strikers though, Briz..

:)
Patito

Post by Patito »

It’s not a case of no one wants to talk about a left back, it’s just pretty clear that Pellegrini & Husillos aren’t after one.

No point writing a list of left backs to chase when we aren’t in the market for one.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3202 likes

Post by WCpete »

All this Higuain chatter better just be that.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

“No point writing a list of left backs to chase when we aren’t in the market for one”

Spoilsport!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

In essence, due to squad management, you sell Cresswell you need a homegrown LB, sell Arthur and you could go for homegrown or overseas. Sell neither and it will have to be homegrown. Also any reasonably competent homegrown LB from the Championship is likely to set you back £10m+ given the fees Brentford have got recently for their defenders.

For me it is not the priority. Perhaps revisit it when you know towards the end of the window how much budget you have left if you have managed to sort your strikers.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

S-H wrote:We currently have more left backs than strikers though, Briz..

:)
Not disagreeing but if you look at the stats for both players you will see that Cresswell and Arthur both have terrible defensive stats. The Manager refuses to play with three centre backs which might offset that.

We can look forward to another season of the cross ball over the head of Cress whilst the winger cuts in behind or Arthur losing possession on our 18 yard box.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

We absolutely need to upgrade that position, mate.

But it wouldn't be a transfer window if we weren't begging our way around Europe looking for that elusive 20 goal a season striker.

It's like groundhog day.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 983 likes

Post by e17 »

Patito wrote:It’s not a case of no one wants to talk about a left back, it’s just pretty clear that Pellegrini & Husillos aren’t after one.
I don’t think ANYTHING is pretty clear with Pel & Husillos. That’s the good news.

All the news reports I’ve seen about anyone we’ve been linked to so far have been completely unsubstantiated. “Credible” gobshites like that Sky toothpaste head bloke doing their normal dart throwing, & the insider folk clearly having NO actual insider knowledge.

We might indeed be after a left back.

No one had any idea we would sign Fornals
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 983 likes

Post by e17 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:We can look forward to another season of the cross ball over the head of Cress whilst the winger cuts in behind or Arthur losing possession on our 18 yard box.
Or they might surprise us and be on it.

Pellegrini isn’t a mug, last season he identified we badly needed our central defence and keeper upgrading, and we got a season where Fab, Diop & the General cooly became that backbone.

Fredericks eventually bolstered the right.

Hopefully the fella can see that Cresswell has been stealing a wage for 2 years based on being a bit of character and the captains mate, and that Arthur is as predictable as jelly on a washing machine
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

A decent DM and a LB are musts.

To be honest though the striker situation is pretty dire. 9 months chasing Gomez for it all to fall apart as soon as we let Arnie go must be a hard pill for Pelle to swallow.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

#bringbackZaza
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Antonio will be a striker this year.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:1975

It's Sully season. We had a terrible defensive record last year. Cresswell and Masuaku were poor all season.

Not as fashionable to want a left back though.

If we don't sign one we will have a left back that can't defend and one that can't get back to defend.

Still, strikers are more fun to talk about
I got loads of grief for going on about Charlie Taylor for a few million two years ago. Comfortably better player than both our two.

Hope we’re buying really good strikers - they’re going to need to score more than we concede .... which might be a few.

Would personally rather buy Rondon and get a loan of someone like Andre Silva up front to take our chances so that we can improve left back and bring in someone to play next to Declan when required (whose name isn’t Sanchez)
Patito

Post by Patito »

e17 wrote: I don’t think ANYTHING is pretty clear with Pel & Husillos. That’s the good news.

All the news reports I’ve seen about anyone we’ve been linked to so far have been completely unsubstantiated. “Credible” gobshites like that Sky toothpaste head bloke doing their normal dart throwing, & the insider folk clearly having NO actual insider knowledge.

We might indeed be after a left back.

No one had any idea we would sign Fornals
That’s fine but I haven’t even seen us linked to one.

I’m happy to discuss any player we are linked with but we just don’t seem to be after a left back. If people have heard differently let’s discuss.

It’s a position I was looking forward to us upgrading this summer but that doesn’t look like it’s on the cards.

The reason people are discussing Higuain & Haller is because it seems like we’ve made bids for them. Not because left backs aren’t cool or fashionable.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3202 likes

Post by WCpete »

bubbles1966 wrote:Antonio will be a striker this year.
Fortunately the back rows in the stands behind goal are bout a qtr mile away from the pitch. No one will get hurt.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Patito wrote:That’s fine but I haven’t even seen us linked to one.
Koutris and Kaldarim, Pat.

Masuaku is either given a new contract or he will be sold, and given that he plays as often as Cresswell and usually against better opponents, he's bound to want Cresswell money.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

At least Arthur will be well rested after sitting out most of the AFCON being picked behind a left back who’s a regular for one of the biggest clubs in the Congolese league. :thup: