The summer transfer window 2019 thread

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:What I want to know is , can we go to bed tonight or not ?
Yes, I would say so. My guess is, we won't hear anything this evening, since as a matter of courtesy and good manners, if any deal has been struck between us and Haller's representatives, indeed the player himself; Sullivan would have to notify Pellers and Husilios first of all. It is currently, around 03:50 am in China at the moment and they are tucked up in bed right now

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:55 pm

I see that Nicola Schira who was one of the first to announce the Felipe Anderson signing last year and Sebastien Haller deal has said:

'West Ham want around €11-12m to see Pedro Obiang. Contacts ongoing with Sassuolo (offered €9m). For him is ready a contract until 2023.'

Be interesting to see if Obiang is involved at all against Man City in tomorrow's friendly or not. We'll certainly know then how close the deal is, if at all. :thup:

We need a new midfielder anyway. But will especially need one should he leave.

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Germans claiming that Haller will sign thanks to escape clause.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/germany-west- ... er-clause/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 pm

funky chicken wrote:I see that Nicola Schira who was one of the first to announce the Felipe Anderson signing last year and Sebastien Haller deal has said:

'West Ham want around €11-12m to see Pedro Obiang. Contacts ongoing with Sassuolo (offered €9m). For him is ready a contract until 2023.'

Be interesting to see if Obiang is involved at all against Man City in tomorrow's friendly or not. We'll certainly know then how close the deal is, if at all. :thup:

We need a new midfielder anyway. But will especially need one should he leave.
If Obiang and Fernandes have been sold for about £17m-£18m between them we should be looking at a single replacement for that kind of number.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:04 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Germans claiming that Haller will sign thanks to escape clause.
Yep, it’s why the finer details of the contract will be more interesting than usual. Sounds like a glorified loan. Which is fine, but does mean if he does even moderately well we’ll be back in the same old striker hunt routine next summer.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Germans claiming that Haller will sign thanks to escape clause.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/germany-west- ... er-clause/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knowing our lot, the release clause will be 20M

:D

Believer

Post by Believer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm

How much would ward-prowse cost ?

He could certainly replace Obiang and Fernandes

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:What I want to know is , can we go to bed tonight or not ?
You can buy me a drink first!

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm

If we were going after someone from Southampton, I’d prefer Lemina.

AnzhiBabakin

Post by AnzhiBabakin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm

How much would ward-prowse cost ?
This is modern football amigo, 40m would be thereabouts and I would not be shocked if they turned it down.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

hammernsickle wrote:We often criticize players for sitting on the bench and receiving a paycheck, but it's easy to forget that football is their livelihood. For many, they will never make as much money in a short time span as they will while in contract with a club.

Many have joked about Hugill, though I think it's largely been good natured. As West Ham fans, we're used to odd deals and we appreciate that none of this is Jordan's fault. He's been a good pro about it all and genuinely seems like he just wants to try hard wherever he is.

But why would he leave? Where is he going to make 35k a week? That's good money and a lot of Championship clubs can't afford it.

So go on my son. It's not your fault you signed for West Ham and now they don't fancy you. But take that pay packet and train and do your best. Don't take a 50% pay cut just because they want you gone.
You say all that, but there are people that earn £35k a year that comfortably get by. Footballers like Hugill are earning 52 times that a year. £18k a week puts them on a wage of £1m a year (if my maths is right tonight) from which they should be capable of living comfortably in the present whilst having plenty saved for retirement.

SiO

Post by SiO » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

:) @ ironilunga.. brilliant

Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pm

I expect flowers and chocolates first

e-20

Post by e-20 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Aceface wrote:
Yep, it’s why the finer details of the contract will be more interesting than usual. Sounds like a glorified loan. Which is fine, but does mean if he does even moderately well we’ll be back in the same old striker hunt routine next summer.
Hope we are already planning, we don't want to wait another 7 years.
Last edited by e-20 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammernsickle

Post by hammernsickle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

YorksHammer wrote: You say all that, but there are people that earn £35k a year that comfortably get by. Footballers like Hugill are earning 52 times that a year. £18k a week puts them on a wage of £1m a year (if my maths is right tonight) from which they should be capable of living comfortably in the present whilst having plenty saved for retirement.
With all due respect, so what?

What does that have to do with Hugill? Can he "survive" on 18k a week? Absolutely. Should he turn down 35k a week just because someone at West Ham made a stupid decision? No, he shouldn't.

I'm not saying he's starving. I'm saying that you don't turn down a good paying job for a worse paying job, even if it is still a lot of money, just because your boss was an idiot for hiring you.

The_Dead_Ball

Post by The_Dead_Ball » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:25 pm

I know that a Haller isn’t officially a West Ham player but couldn’t help looking on YouTube and found this.

https://youtu.be/om4vv4ULM0s

Seems to speak English well too

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:27 pm

don't disagree mate but it depends what one wants out of life...

sit on a bench and/or play the occasional game with the u-23's or take a pay cut and play every week.

I imagine that each player has to take his commitments into account and family needs.

maybe he bought a new 2.5M mansion and couldn't afford the payments etc. or send his kid (does he have any ?) to private school.

take the family on holidays to places they would never normally be able to afford

maybe he bought his mum and dad a new place

we never know all the ins and outs. I most certainly have had to take on a new job at less money (as I am sure loads of here have) but we didn't have the luxury of a lager term contract on guaranteed money.

tough to criticise him - not sure I'd take a 50% cut if I didn't have to.

not like he's going to ruin his international future or a move to a CL team

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 pm

hammernsickle wrote: I'm saying that you don't turn down a good paying job for a worse paying job, even if it is still a lot of money, just because your boss was an idiot for hiring you.
If he is getting a £2.5m pay off, there's no pay cut.

The whole story doesn't make sense.

Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

The_Dead_Ball wrote:I know that a Haller isn’t officially a West Ham player but couldn’t help looking on YouTube and found this.

https://youtu.be/om4vv4ULM0s

Seems to speak English well too
That is one good watch ,now delete this post and hide that link so Daniel Levy cannot gazump us !

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Poor Wigan~they must be gutted. Hughill, would probably have been quite a good player for them and banged in enough goals that get them back up, but not his fault, he can just sit back all week doing Jack and count up his money in preference to playing