The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Patito »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Wilshere and Lanzini are certainly weak in the press.... I'll wait until I see Fornals play for us before judging. According to reports and stats, he certainly has the pace, stamina, and workrate. How effective he is at pressing remains to be seen.

Personally I think every player should be capable of pressing well. It can be learnt. Anyone who doesn't press needs to try harder.

You’ll be impressed Burnley, it’s something Spanish players often excel at I feel but Fornals is superb at it when you consider he’s not a defensive midfielder. I know it’s not something quantifiable with stats but his interception/tackling stats compare very favourably with the likes of Eriksen and other technical centre mids.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Ben wrote:HM11 why do you keep putting hayden on your wish list? have you ever seen him play?
I've been thinking this also. Not so much about seeing him play, but why anyone would wish for him. He's just a bit nothingy.

He'd probably do an OK job as cover or whatever but to actively hope for us to sign him seems a bit bizarre.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

HammerAl wrote:Don’t think we need to bring in a third striker if we’re only going to be playing one up top. Hernandez as a sub and Antonio as third choice is perfectly fine. If we do sign another striker then I’m hoping it’s because Hernandez is off.
Agreed.

I also refuse to believe Sanchez is on 70k a week. No way at all could that be true.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

No-one is going to buy Sanchez, I imagine. Even worse I think Pell likes him and will give him game time. Obiang is a much better bet as the second choice DM.

If we keep Hernandez (and , as with Sanchez I can't see anyone matching his current wages), I don't see the need for another forward.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

GaryP wrote:UTJ, surely thats got to be the next KUMB T-shirt.... Logically unbalanced accross the tits with a set of hammers and a KUMB logo on the sleeve :)
I like it, GP. :thup:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:Seri wants to leave England, according to reports.
That’s a shame. The reason I’d be okay for a loan deal with Seri is that I feel if he was a success we would be able to buy him. Too many of our loan deals have had strings attached which suggested the player wanted to go back to their parent club. He really looks like a player that could do very well for us.
e-20
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

HammerAl wrote:Don’t think we need to bring in a third striker if we’re only going to be playing one up top. Hernandez as a sub and Antonio as third choice is perfectly fine. If we do sign another striker then I’m hoping it’s because Hernandez is off.
Think you are right it all depends upon what's happening with Hernandez but if he stays a third would be a luxury when other areas (as the games so far continue to confirm), are far more vital to fill with arguably a new first choice over a third choice up front. Something needs to be done to improve defensive performance.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Seri would have been absolutely perfect for us, actually gutted to hear he wants out. Anybody aware of any South American Seri/Kantes? Saw a mention of a young guy ..Tomas Alarcon..Chilean I think?, Maybe UDC could shed some light...
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Wanyama IF we could get him would be a great signing and the exact sort of player we need alongside Rice.

Although his injury record in the past couple of seasons concern me.

If what Ex says is true we have around £10m left, with the sale of Ogbonna that should see the budget rise to around £20m.

One way of strengthening the rest of the team on the rest of the budget:

- Shift: Sanchez (even flog him for free), Cullen (£1-3m), Browne (£1m), Ogbonna (£10-12m), Hugill (£3-4m), Hernandez (£6-7m).

So including selling Obiang for around the rumoured amount, those above sales could raise the budget up to around: £35-40m.

I would then bring in the following:

- CH: Maripan (£20m);
- DM: Medel (Free + send Sanchez to Besiktas - 1 year contract for Medel);
- CM: Lemina (£18m);
- ST: Sturridge (Free - 1 year contract with view to an additional).
Last edited by funky chicken on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Of course I'd agree he's a better upgrade on Sanchez, but whenever I watched him in brief spells for Fulham, he didn't impress me much. I would certainly want to see what he was like on loan first of all if it did materialise. It looks like he's doing one abroad if reports are true.
artlin

Post by artlin »

There are a few CBs available in Europe that have Europa experience for a decent price but would they improve what we already have?

A loanee with an option is a safer bet or wait until next year.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Why are Tottenham looking to shift Victor Wanyama ?

Why do we want to solve Daniel Levy's problems ?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Wanyama is exactly what we need IMHO
Would be a cracking signing, although can't see it happening myelf
Southampton Wanyama for sure. He's looked a shadow of that player whenever I've seen him for the front wheels.

What say you, Modern?
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Contrary to most I think we're covered in central defence and don't need to bring anyone else in; we have Diop and Balbuena as our first choice pairing with Ogbonna and Reid as cover (both decent pedigree for backups). We also have Rice who can play there if we're really stuck.

Defensive midfield is the priority and then the wing-backs/backup striker.
Last edited by Irrons on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:...and by all accounts Haller defends superbly from the front as well (a big upgrade in this area I'd say).
I've not heard much said about this side of his game but was hoping he was the kind of player who puts in a shift and defends from the front. We really lacked that last season. All it takes is a few people putting in a shift like that and it inspires others to start doing the same. It was one of the reasons I was happy we were linked to Rondon

I mentioned this recently... can't remember whether it was on this thread or not, but I read a report yesterday that highlighted just how little ground Arnie covered based on the first 12 games of last season (so before the China thing). It was at https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... statistics
"a ranking of the 25 players who have covered, per 90 minutes played, least ground includes no fewer than 20 centre-halves (one of those, Cardiff’s Bruno Ecuele Manga, has been used as a right-back this season but has clearly brought his bad habits to his new position) and only three forwards. Marko Arnautovic, who told the Guardian earlier this season about how David Moyes taught him to “work hard, run as much as you can and the other things will come”, could do with a few more lessons – there is only one attacking player in the Premier League who runs less than him."
e-20

Post by e-20 »

The only other point I would make about Seri is if he understandably wants to quit England where does the 'loan' take come from as that would seem to conflict with both his and Fulham's best interests.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Daily Record journalist Keith Jackson has claimed that West Ham and Crystal Palace are believed to be showing “tentative interest” in Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos.

Last season, the Colombia international scored 30 goals and provided 11 assists in just 48 games. And he has already got off the mark this season, coming off the bench to score in Rangers’ Europa League qualifying round win.

The 23-year-old now has 49 goals in just 92 matches since his 2017 move from HJH Helsinki. He is young and a natural finisher but his hot-headed character will put potential suitors off.

Morelos, nicknamed El Bufalo, was shown a staggering five red cards last season. The last one was for losing his head and kicking out at Celtic captain Scott Brown in a high-stakes Old Firm derby clash. If he cannot iron this out of this game, Morelos will be deemed a liability.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I've not heard much said about this side of his game but was hoping he was the kind of player who puts in a shift and defends from the front. We really lacked that last season. All it takes is a few people putting in a shift like that and it inspires others to start doing the same.
It helps having a striker who wants to be here!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Morelos would do well in England and under somebody like Pelly. A club like Rangers is simply no good for a volatile temperament and he’d be better moving.
e-20

Post by e-20 »

Irrons wrote:Contrary to most I think we're covered in central defence and don't need to bring anyone else in; we have Diop and Balbuena as our first choice pairing with Ogbonna and Reid as cover (both decent pedigree for backups). We also have Rice who can play there if we're really stuck.

Defensive midfield is the priority and then the wing-backs/backup striker.
Agreed. Fact is if we find a good enough defensive midfielder then that gives us the extra flexibility to use Rice as a central defender if we really had to in emergencies. The fact that we are weak in DM actually as a side effect, weakens our options in CD so by strengthening the former you automatically strengthen the latter in one move.

Then as you say it's fullbacks but sadly that may have to wait unless we can find a DM who can cover there too.