The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

wivenhoetim wrote:Seri would have been absolutely perfect for us, actually gutted to hear he wants out. Anybody aware of any South American Seri/Kantes? Saw a mention of a young guy ..Tomas Alarcon..Chilean I think?, Maybe UDC could shed some light...
Seri is a good player but we're already a bit on the small side as a team. Is it too much to ask for a big, aggressive lump....preferably one that can also play a bit?
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

stu1 wrote:I'm shocked people think having two strikers in the squad is enough.

Ok Antonio can do a job up front in some games, but we certainly shouldn't be classifying him as a striker, he's much more effective from out wide.

Hernandez is only suited to certain games, I'm sure most people can see that i.e. not away from home or in games where we have little of the ball.

If we start the season with only Haller and Hernandez as our recognised strikers, we will have a gapping whole in our squad. Hernandez and Perez showed last season that have decent strikers to bring off the bench will add a decent amount of points to your total.

We can't start the season one injury away from not having a senior striker on the bench and potentially being forced to play Hernandez in games where he is completely ineffective.

It's absolutely mental to think we don't need another striker :? if anything we could do with another two, although I accept Antonio will probably be our 4th choice/cover striker.
all i'm saying is, i think our priority is at the back...we will score goals, but keeping them out is the biggest priority

wolves scored 5 goals less than us last season, but conceded 9 less..they finished 3 places above us
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Redkanpps dog wrote: 2 of my mates are Rangers fans and said that they recently knocked back a bid of over 10m for Morelos so not sure where Ex has got 5m from. They also think he'd smash it in the Prem and think he was unfairly targeted last season. TBH i'm not sure about the unfairly targeted comments because most Rangers fans claim they are victims of the Scottish bias towards to Celtic and so nothing is ever their fault haha.
Sevconians really are a special breed.

Like you not sure where Ex got this figure of £5 million from, unless he has a clause in regards to Premiership sides.

Morelos is an absolute hot head, hence him getting targeted, teams know he will react. Scott Brown lived in his head last year, and if you let someone like that take the piss out of you, you really are going to struggle.

A bit of an El Hadji Diouf.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

artlin wrote:Where did the Joao Pirhanha story come from??
Portuguese press I think
MKD

Post by MKD »

Morelos could go down as a modern El Hadji Diouf, I wouldn't like him here!
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Agree Frankie,

Marcello at Real, Sandro at Juve and Rodriguez at AC Milan would probably be available as loans with an option. Rodriguez is being offered for £15 million.

At Centre back, William Saliba?
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Fwiw Pellers interview yesterday post-game suggested that Chica is staying and he views Antonio as a striker as we have many options wide, although did acknowledge his ability to play in both positions.

Reading between the lines, I took from it that he is happy with what we have up top, with Xande Silva also an option there.

He did say that there could be additions to the squad up until the final day of the window.

Sorry if I am repeating what was said on a post in previous pages.
englebert

Post by englebert »

I would like a third striker but it'ts not the end of the world if we don't. Chelsea, Man C and Man U seem to have managed for the last couple of years with only 2.

Who would come? Haller did not come here for 40m not to be first choice and anyone coming in for the money we can afford will know that. I am guessing if the worst happens and Haller, Chica and Antonio get injured we would have to consider playing with false no 9's or giving Silva or the other young attacker a go.

Getting a Balotelli or Higuain would cause issues when they find themselves on the bench.

I would rather we spent the 10m or whatever we have replacing Obiang or Ogbonna if they were to leave.
Julien Snow Bear
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Julien Snow Bear »

stu1 wrote:I'm shocked people think having two strikers in the squad is enough.

Ok Antonio can do a job up front in some games, but we certainly shouldn't be classifying him as a striker, he's much more effective from out wide.

Hernandez is only suited to certain games, I'm sure most people can see that i.e. not away from home or in games where we have little of the ball.

If we start the season with only Haller and Hernandez as our recognised strikers, we will have a gapping whole in our squad. Hernandez and Perez showed last season that have decent strikers to bring off the bench will add a decent amount of points to your total.

We can't start the season one injury away from not having a senior striker on the bench and potentially being forced to play Hernandez in games where he is completely ineffective.

It's absolutely mental to think we don't need another striker :? if anything we could do with another two, although I accept Antonio will probably be our 4th choice/cover striker.
I sort of agree - but who are the 3rd choice strikers for the top 10 clubs in the PL?

Gone are the days of playing 2 up top and having 4 first team strikers in the squad. Most make do with 2 top class, and then a younger/reserve player.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The African forward is Habib Diallo

I am guessing. I am just predicting a Sakho-like signing.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

re. Morelos

Whether it's been by accident or design, there does *seem* to have been a No Dickheads rule in every signing made since Pellegrini and Husillos arrived – plus slightly surprising extensions for players like Zabaleta, Noble and Snodgrass, which seem to be based more on character than playing need. The recruitment of David Martin as a third keeper who almost certainly won't ever play a minute for us, or the pursuit of a striker who preferred an off-season family fishing trip to being papped with Salt Bae in Dubai fits the pattern as well.

Wilshere might be the only one who has come in with any kind of question mark of his maturity, but otherwise it seems to have been mostly low-key personalities. By way of comparison, look at the incoming class immediately before their arrival, it was diva central – Hart, Arnautovic, Hernandez...

The sample size isn't quite big enough yet to say it's deliberate, but the point is that Morelos, Balotelli et al do look a little off-brand at the moment.
Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Finishing Hammer »

Longaz wrote:After such a long time out it's hard to know if Reid will be the same player he previously was, but to say he's a very poor defender simply isn't true. To judge him in 2 pre season friendlies after a year and a half out is a bit harsh too. This time last year people were up in arms about Collins leaving but Collins was never as good a defender as Reid. This will be Reid's tenth year at the club, he has earnt the right to at least have a chance to prove himself this season after so long out.
:thup: Top post. Absolutely agree. I'm certainly not writing him off yet.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

And he was a banging player prior to the injury.

One of the best we've had in the Premier league era in his position I think.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

iLoveLasagne wrote:The African forward is Habib Diallo
Looks like the bloke didnt play a game last season :shock:
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

To those saying we need to buy more central defenders and forwards, I’d ask what level of player we’d get who would be prepared to come to us and play second fiddle on the bench?

It’s not like we’re in Europe so lots of opportunity for squad rotation...just a couple of cup games, probably only in the early rounds. Unless by some miracle we decide to take them seriously for once, in which case maybe not even then.

I think we’d get players of the calibre of...Ogbonna.

Also, I’d ask what chance our youth prospects would ever have of breaking through if their path to the first team is blocked not only by incumbents but by another two or three high quality reserves sitting on our bench just waiting for their chance.

If we think Silva is worth keeping, we should be prepared to have him at third choice behind Chich - unless the latter is off and needs to be replaced. It’s hardly a massive gamble.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd much rather have Obiang as squad cover for Noble and Rice than Sanchez!

Yet it seems it's Obiang who's being pushed out the door first.. Headbanger
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Aguero & Jesus
Firmino & Origi (Sturridge never played)
Kane & Llorente
Giroud & Higuain
Aubameyang & Lacazette

Last season’s top six and their strikers.

If we play one up top, which we should, we only need Haller, one sub striker (Hernandez or his replacement if he leaves) and Antonio as the second backup.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

WestHamIFC wrote:If I had to choose between the 2, I'd much rather have Obiang as squad cover for Noble and Rice than Sanchez!

Isn’t it more a case of respecting his wishes after his service to the club and his attitude in recent years rather than pushing him out?
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

WestHamIFC wrote:If I had to choose between the 2, I'd much rather have Obiang as squad cover for Noble and Rice than Sanchez!

Internal politics?

Buying Sanchez was pellers one and only balls up thus far.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

you could possibly say that about sanchez although yarmolenko seems ok