The summer transfer window 2019 thread

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote: Ledley King is his cousin, Paul Parker is his uncle
So Paul Parker is Ledley King's dad!

Doyley72

Post by Doyley72 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/victor- ... eler/77760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18/19 Knee Injury Nov 23, 2018 Jan 27, 2019 65 days 18 games missed
18/19 Knee Problems Jul 29, 2018 Sep 1, 2018 34 days 3 games missed
17/18 Cartilage Damage Aug 21, 2017 Jan 1, 2018 133 days 26 games missed

14/15 Hamstring Injury Jan 15, 2015 Feb 5, 2015 21 days 3 games missed
13/14 Knock Dec 5, 2013 Jan 9, 2014 35 days 7 games missed

65+34+133 = 232 days missed since the 17/18 season

that should be reason enough.
Good stats Cuenca 'ammer !

Goes to show Wanyama is injury prone....we need to learn our lesson and keep away from them type of players...

Briggsy had it spot on....Wanyama is like Kouyate...used to be good, but not anymore...not clever enough to adapt and have been sussed out..hence why the Spuds want rid...

Saying that, Pellers does like his 4/3/3 which would mean only one DM, but if Rice got injured (and you know out luck!), then we need quality to replace him.....but i would also like to see us change tactics and play with two holding/defensive midfielders for those more difficult games....funny enough, that's what the Spuds have been doing for a few years, sticking to two DM's and winning by the odd goal...but we have better attacking options....will be interesting to see it all develop... :scarfer:

Irrons

Post by Irrons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Rondon apparently on 250k a week at Dalian:

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2019/07/19/st ... m-said-no/

Obvious now why we weren't interested...
Last edited by Irrons on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm

EastVillageHammer wrote:
They were obviously told from the very beginning that we had 35 million - I think that's how we all know that was our budget. It does make you question what would have happened if we had kept Arnie.

Our squad is in decent shape and I think the two additions make us a stronger squad overall.

I think we obviously have spare room in our wage budget as we have removed 500 grand a week of wages and replaced it with around 150 - so I would imagine some clever loan moves in the offing.

Some good Lanzini style loans that turn into buys would not do us badly at all - CB, CM and ST all positions where we could pick one of those up.
I am convinced that figure is likely the accurate one which means we have only a few mill free plus what we can get from sales. Best scenario therefore might leave us with around 15m and perhaps rather less to spend.

As you allude to I reckon it best to concentrate on loans, preferably loans to buy, for next year with at least one player who will improve the first eleven or has potential to do so over the season and use the money on wages to make any offer attractive, than try to find someone to come in for that sort of limited money especially as we really need another two. Yes if they can find another bargain like the General great (though I think that is the only type of position that is likely to occur tbh) but a young (sensible) punt and a more established player of quality on loans with a year to show us what they can do is probably the best option if funds are as limited as we suspect they are. Got to plan ahead for any potential circumstance wherever we can I feel.

Hammerguy

Post by Hammerguy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:05 pm

funky chicken wrote:
IMO you can never have too much of a big squad. As long as you have good strength in depth and good enough quality.

It'll give some of our injury prone players a better chance of not picking up as much injuries as they'll either struggle to make the line-up, or not wont have to play as many games anyway.

Plus it'll hopefully encourage our players to not let our standards drop, as if they do a player is waiting in their wings to take their place. Like last season when Yarmalenko picked up his injury, when Antonio wasn't playing well Diangana overtook him, played well and Antonio all of a sudden upped his game.

Less players will also have to play out of position too like we saw under all our previous managers. Minus 2-3 matches last season when Antonio had to play rightback we never really had to play any players out of position. Even with all our injuries.

The only players we should be looking to shift are:

- players who were loaned out last season, as none of them minus maybe Cullen didn't do particularly well and we,didn't miss any of them anyway;

- players that are past their sell by date (e.g. Cresswell & Zabaleta);

- players who don't suit the formations Pellers plays (e.g. Hernandez);

- players who are not good enough and can be upgraded on (I.e. Sanchez).

This is were i disagree, if you look at wolves last season and burnley 2 years age they operate on much smaller sizes. Its better for squad progression harmony and morale, we only have a guarantee 40 games a season you don't need a squad of 28 to cover

- > Its cheaper if we sold Sanchez Obiang Reid that would save nearly 180k which equates to 9.3 million a year
-> Rotation worries -> realistically sanchez is our 5th choice central midfielder how many games will he get 8 maybe? do you think he would be training his hardest knowing he is not got a good chance of playing for the first team, the manager will have to consider giving him games to keep him happy
-> Youngster -> if sanchez is 5th choice then Cullen is 6th thats makes Coventry 7th choice meaning he is not going to play in cup games or get a chance through injury's, we all moan about no youngsters coming through but their is no room for them, as you alluded too, when we had injuries last year the youngsters stepped up e.g. Johnson and Diangana
-> Wage Structure. Currenly one of our highest paid player is not in our first choice 11 in Hernandez, Sanchez is on 70k the same as Haller and nearly double Rice, how does this look to the other players to motivate them to succeed at this club
-> Injuries -> 6 long term injuries is highly unlikely, yes Wilshere Yarmalenko and ried have long term injury problems its unlikely we will have back-to-back years topping our faviourite league table, the injury table

Big squads cost money but have little output if i am right that sanchez will play only 8 games next season that will cost nearly 500k per appearance, if we have a smaller squad we can pay our starters more money or have a larger transfer budget giving opportunities for younger players.

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Hopefully having a striker that can hold the ball up better, and defend from the front will take the pressure off our midfield this year, Fornals looks like a pest from the videos I've seen too, add that to Anderson who is excellent at tackling, for a winger, hopefully we will be winning the ball back higher up the pitch than we normally do.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Correct most managers I’ve heard say they prefer smaller squads for exactly that reason

upton o'good

Post by upton o'good » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:09 pm

TheOrgazoid wrote:
A lot of that academy generation are now playing for Luton in championship, Potts, Elliot Lee, George Moncour, Pelly Ruddock and Marek Stech. Be interesting to see if they can cut it at a higher level.
To be clear, most of them played only a few games in league 1 - whether through injury or selection issues. Only Pelly and Elliot played the majority of their games. Potts for e.g had 15 starts and came on as a sub 9 times.

I guess that suggests league 1 is about their level

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:24 pm

See the ladies have just signed a young Australian striker, is that the longest (and perhaps most unpronounceable) single word surname in club history?

e-20

Post by e-20 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:See the ladies have just signed a young Australian striker, is that the longest (and perhaps most unpronounceable) single word surname in club history?
Galabadaarachchi, oh can't wait for the commentators to get their gobs around that one... or young Jack for that matter.
(in a purely verbal sense)

Absolutely Hammered!

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I think im equally as excited to watch fornals play as I am Haller. Not only will he provide a decent number of assists slotting in balls for runners, I wouldn't be suprised to see him bag around 6/7 goals himself as he gets in those dangerous hernandaz type positions in the box so I expect a few close range goals.

artlin

Post by artlin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Re... the premier league two squad.

What is that all about??

Just what do those players do?? I really don't get this. Academy yes. The training ground for young and upcoming but PL2, what a waste.

Rasp

Post by Rasp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I think im equally as excited to watch fornals play as I am Haller. Not only will he provide a decent number of assists slotting in balls for runners, I wouldn't be suprised to see him bag around 6/7 goals himself as he gets in those dangerous hernandaz type positions in the box so I expect a few close range goals.
Absolutely, exciting times ahead.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Obiang out.
Pulgar in.

VeniceHammer

Post by VeniceHammer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm

pulgar would be very tasty, although i guess a bit expensive.

tommythehammer

Post by tommythehammer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Agree that we should cut down the squad size.

Good teams tend to have smaller squads. Larger squads prevent the progression of younger players, cause difficulty when you're operating in the transfer market (as you have to sell before you can buy generally) and cause demotivation. I know we've had bad luck with injuries for years but you can't stock your team on the assumption that 6 players will have major injuries every year.

We could get rid of Sanchez, Obiang and Cullen and replace with one (defensive) midfielder IMO.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Hayden wrote:Obiang out.
Pulgar in.
Have we been linked mate? Would be very happy with that deal.

ashbanki

Post by ashbanki » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm

tommythehammer wrote:Agree that we should cut down the squad size.
I know we've had bad luck with injuries for years but you can't stock your team on the assumption that 6 players will have major injuries every year.

We could get rid of Sanchez, Obiang and Cullen and replace with one (defensive) midfielder IMO.
It's not bad luck it's a heady mixture of **** training facilities married to a penchant for signing older "big names" with poor injury records.Agree with the rest though.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm

There was a bit of chatter earlier in the summer that Pelly Ruddock might go to Stoke.

Don't know what he did in a past life to deserve that, but he looks like he may be one who ends up working his way up the leagues.

The Green Man

Post by The Green Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Looking at the ages of the ex West Ham lads at Luton Town makes me feel old. Marek Stech is 29 years old.. :lol: :shock: