The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I also forgot to mention that we are still looking to trim the wage bill as we "lost" money last season and are predicted to "lose" the same amount of money again this......

how does that work ?

we "lose" money on paper but actually "make" money in actuality......

despite taking out 18M a year in wages....

we're "losing" the same amount of money ????

:?
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

fjthegrey wrote:Why do we have to have facts?

I've seen them both play, I like Nainggolan more as a player. He's more the all action, well rounded central midfielder we need, rather than just a pure ball winner. He's got all the tenacity of Medel, with a little bit more attacking quality and he scores and assists goals.

He still wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice but he's a good player
Because you said it... Why.

"I like" is a very relative, partial and biased statement, subordinated and dependent to rules or thoughts or apreciations they are PERSONAL and legit only for YOU ...

Whats its very good too... But, not necesarily applicable to everybody... So.. I rather like to discuss within other frames.. with facts, also.

(If you want to know more, just google what is about the whole Framming and the Post-truth dilemma.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-tru ... urn false; )

Still... A more important point is... that I did not said that Nainggolan is a bed player or could be not work in West Ham... in fact, I would sign him..

And thats has to be the MAIN issue... the things in COMMON..

I know you have another background and football taste and life.... but, whats the problem/point with that... ?? :thup:
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Did anyone have...
"I like" is a very relative, partial and biased statement, subordinated and dependent to rules or thoughts or apreciations they are PERSONAL and legit only for YOU ...
...in the summer transfer window thread bingo?

Surely someone must have. :|
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Also the wage saving can be totally illusory unless you know the details of every contract at the club and all the transfers out and in. Over the year we will save money, we do not suddenly have all that cash, in theory at best 1/12th of it.

On its face we may have taken out £18m yet we might well still be paying monies in wage or one off payment to those who have left if their new deals for lesser sums. In fact in the first month or so we might have no saving at all. We do not know for example if some of it has been allocated to rises built into contracts for some of the younger squad players or set aside for new deals for them.

Villa are a clear exception to what most normal clubs have done so far this window. There has not been a huge “net spend” by almost anyone else so far outside the top 6.

I will judge the window at the end and again for me it is not as much about the amount of money spent but whether the squad has been improved on its face compared to where it was at the end of last season.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I also forgot to mention that we are still looking to trim the wage bill as we "lost" money last season and are predicted to "lose" the same amount of money again this......

how does that work ?

we "lose" money on paper but actually "make" money in actuality......

despite taking out 18M a year in wages....

we're "losing" the same amount of money ????

The "loss" is ascribed to West Ham PLC or however it's arranged. Making a loss means no corporation tax to pay, and can be offset against any future profits. The "loss" is calculated after interest payments on loans have been paid. Guess who makes the loans and gets the interest? At a rate of their own choosing too.

The whole loan/interest/loss flim-flam is the most tax efficient way of channelling the TV money into their pockets. All they need to do is ensure the cash cow (no, not her ladyship) stays in the Premier League and those coffers will keep overflowing.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

S-H wrote:Villa doing a Fulham?

£100m on 9 players.
Agree, noticed they were building basically a brand new team. Smack of QPRs season of silly money, and subsequent relegation.

Looks like the manager is turning his back on the players that got them promoted, can’t imagine they’re that happy with all the cash being splashed about.

I’d have a little flutter on Dean Smith winning the sack race this season.

Any of their players from last season worth looking at? Would imagine they aren’t feeling too loyal right now.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I don't much fancy having an epistemological conversation with you regarding footballing statistics dude. It's not just you either, I don't fancy having that conversation full stop.

Clearly Nainggolan is a more well rounded central midfielder than Medel. You can attempt to find some statistics that disprove that claim if you wish but I'm confident you won't be able to. Nainggolan - whilst contributing defensively with a tenacious press, a probable high number of tackles per game and I suspect a very high distance covered per game as well - is a hugely superior player to Medel when in possession of the ball. I confidently predict he's got 3 times the number of goals and assists that Medel has in his career, probably more.

I think we'd be better off with a midfielder like that, rather than one whose only real strengths are in winning the ball, and retaining possession with simple, secure passing.

I wouldn't be upset with either though. Both are good at what they do, I just think Nainggolan does more.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Gsbgsb wrote:I will judge the window at the end and again for me it is not as much about the amount of money spent but whether the squad has been improved on its face compared to where it was at the end of last season.
This

We are making improvements to the first team again so personally not too hung up on expenditure.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

gsb

AC off the books - 90K
Nasri off the books - 80K
Adrian off the books - 50K
Arnie off the books - 120K

340K a week off the books x 52 = almost 18M

all of those salaries are in pocket as we won't be paying top up monies for that as their contracts expired and in the case of Arnie, is making more money.

you may be correct with the rest. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. whichever way we look at it, monies saved are very high and won't be all taken up by payments to the new players.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1034 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:gsb

AC off the books - 90K

all of those salaries are in pocket as we won't be paying top up monies for that as their contracts expired and in the case of Arnie, is making more money.

you may be correct with the rest. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. whichever way we look at it, monies saved are very high and won't be all taken up by payments to the new players.
None of those players were expected to be on our books next season earning those sums. The entirety of your posting on this matter is rendered irrelevant as a result.
Patito

Post by Patito »

fjthegrey wrote:I don't much fancy having an epistemological conversation with you regarding footballing statistics dude.
Twice in one day. Thanks, FJ, you are a scholar.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

ilunga

we lost 10 goals from Arnie. so hopefully Haller can get over that.

Fornals hopefully can come in and contribute

to say we've upgraded from last year isn't exactly on point so far though.

we haven't upgraded defensively at all. our keeper still had the most saves in the league.

we needed help at the FB spots and in BBM/DM

we haven't upgraded there we're at status quo imvho

we have Lanzini coming back from a torn ACL, Yarmo coming back from a ruptured Achilles and Sanchez coming back from an ACL.

Wilshere coming back from a few different injuries

now IF all of these contribute more than last year, we're quids in. our main problem wasn't over all scoring goals in general. it was conceding goals especially from set pieces and not being able to break down packed defences.

Fornals and Haller have yet to play, but so far I haven't seen an all around improvement defensively in the area of making similar mistakes.

hopefully we can get it right. I have no problem dumping those players we dumped, they hardly contributed at all so it's no big deal. investing (not spending) for the future is more what I would like to see. not spending for spending sake - I think currently we are at a status quo right now.

I want to see investment because that's the only way we will get to keep the Anderson's and Haller's of this world.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:gsb

AC off the books - 90K

LeonRivers wrote: None of those players were expected to be on our books next season earning those sums. The entirety of your posting on this matter is rendered irrelevant as a result.
Leon - are you in need of going to Specsavers or are you on a serious wind up.

so because these players weren't going to be here, their salary outgoings not being on this years books is irrelevant ?

so if you house gets paid up this year, you are not better off by that monthly payment next year in your budget ? you won't be quids in ?

how on earth do you manage in the every day world of finance ? if my landlady tells me I can live rent free next year, I won't be saving that outlay ? I won't be about 700 dollars a month better off ?

seriously ?

YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I know that I am a cantankerous old git but:

from Utj's post 24M or thereabout net spend and according to our mates over at * & * we've saved nearly 18M in wages.

so we're basically at a net 6M spend ?
Said it already here, but I think (if you include wages as you have, Cuenca) it's worse than that.

Assuming the smaller fees have been paid in full, and with knowing that Arnie's fee was demanded to be paid in full, that leaves (potentially) only Obiang's as being paid in instalments. Say that's a £2.5m income by splitting it as thirds.

We are widely reported to have paid £8m up front for Fornals, and I think I read 50% of Haller's fee was up front - so a further £20m.

That's £28m in outgoings against ~£35m in, plus the £18m wages saved - £25m net PROFIT this summer.

(I'm not an accountant, have no knowledge of how any of this works, and could be way off the mark. Just going on public articles about the deals in the above)
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Leon is right to a fair degree Cuenca

Nasri was only on the books for part of the season, Arnie’s payrise was only half the season etc. We’ll also need to give payrise to Rice, Diop and Lanzini. So from a future budgeting and planning point of view some of that saving may have already been committed and the high number was a bit too high in the first place.

Saying that though - the magnitude of reduction is so large that there must be a year-on-year significant saving, and as our turnover is relatively stable (assuming same league finish etc) that would mean a higher net profit. (or less of a loss).

I’d still be reasonably confident looking at high level guesstimates per player that year-on-year wage savings will approach £9-£10m subject to no new significant incomings.

I still think the transfer budget this summer is poor from the owners and a reflection of how much they think they can get away with as a result of the overflow from positivity regarding last summer (£100m TM) - rather than a reflection of what the club can afford.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote:Ibrahim Sangare is the one I want (ooh ooh oooooh).

A feisty tackler, looks to spring the counter attack from deep with his passing, dribbles occasionally, will sometimes blooter one from range - essentially a younger Obiang (he's 21) with a bit more bite around his play.

Have a feeling Everton will go for him if Gueye moves to PSG.

We've not been linked, as far as I can see, just think he'd be perfect. Diop and he will know each other from their Toulouse days, too.
Plays in France
African or African heritage
Young

Ticks all the boxes
Probaby about another ten cracking prospects knocking about in the first-teams and youth teams in France
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

I get my expositions of epistemology from the Summer Transfer Thread. I get my West Ham gossip from Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason".
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Ex says we are getting around £300k for Browne.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

Do we EVER get a good fee for our players? What's the point of selling Browne if it's for nothing? He's 21.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 506 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:Ex says we are getting around £300k for Browne.
That must bring our defensive midfielder pot up to around £300k. :scarfer: