The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by thejackhammer »

HammerPDC wrote:Can Masuaku defend yet?
3rd most tackles in the team says yes.

Better than Mr. Step off and let the cross come in Cresswell anyway.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

HammerPDC wrote:Can Masuaku defend yet?
He has the defensive awareness akin to that of a Razvan Rat / Tommy McQueen lovechild
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I pulled up his stats recently... in his last 10 performances, Masuaku got an average of 7.2 according to whoscored... that's decent stats for a full back and shows growth under the manager.

Pellers has obviously acknowledged this and see's him as the solution to left back (with Ben Johnson as the alternative). I quite like those options if Masuaku continues his upwards trajectory of performances
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

I get the feeling that Cullen will end up staying this season solely to add another homegrown body to the squad. If we bring in another CM, move on Sanchez and have Cullen replace him, I would be okay with that scenario on paper.

I do however think that it’s not necessarily what’s best for Cullen’s career. I would give him a 2 year extension to protect his value, send him to Charlton on loan, and see if he’s able to make the step up to the Championship. If he does well, we can either keep or sell high. If he doesn’t, then Charlton would probably get him on the cheap.

Just my opinion, of course.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:I get the feeling that Cullen will end up staying this season solely to add another homegrown body to the squad. If we bring in another CM, move on Sanchez and have Cullen replace him, I would be okay with that scenario on paper.

I do however think that it’s not necessarily what’s best for Cullen’s career. I would give him a 2 year extension to protect his value, send him to Charlton on loan, and see if he’s able to make the step up to the Championship. If he does well, we can either keep or sell high. If he doesn’t, then Charlton would probably get him on the cheap.

Just my opinion, of course.
As it happens I think if Cullen is really gonna make it he needs to be around the squad as it is now - if he goes out on loan he'll stand still or go backwards. Get him playing with who we've got at the moment and he could hopefully kick on. Get him to learn from that environment and you never know.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:With Reid injured again...
minor niggle I heard - not really cause to worry about a replacement - although if we could swap Ogbonna for someone then yes.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

I don’t know what value there is to protect. He is 23 and should be making that breakthrough now.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Unfortunately I doubt Cullen has much chance of making the break through. He’s up against Noble and Wilshere and potentially Lanzini ignorance Pellers wants to play him deeper. We have a number of small, relatively slow ball playing midfielders ahead of him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Better rest everyone in case they get injured as well? Come on man, it's a feeble logic really.

The only reason he played so many games last season is because he's brilliant. That's the reality.

There's no benefit to us in not playing him.
oh I must have forgotten that we had no DM to sub for Rice. oh and I must have forgotten that we only had Oggie and Diop at CB for abour 3 months when Balbuena was out. bloody good job those 3 stayed fit or we would have REALLY been up shyte creek.

and the other thing is called "squad rotation."

not a bad thing to give players a rest here and there.

but then again I forgot. we had SO many other options last season didn't we ?

:asleep:
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

thejackhammer wrote: 3rd most tackles in the team says yes.

Better than Mr. Step off and let the cross come in Cresswell anyway.
It’s his Positioning and Concentration that are terrible, I’m also not convinced that being better than Cresswell should justify a starting role for any player :lol:

We came into the window with left back needing to be addressed and looks as though we are leaving it that way
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

No point having a difference of opinion with him Cuenca, fj the condescending one is always right.. :asleep:

I understood your valid point in giving him a breather every now and again, so to prevent injuries in the future from being over worked. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to such a talent either.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 20i19 thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

If there are to be any further acquisitions and I have no idea if there will be, or not, with Pellers and Husilios too, I should imagine, out in Austria until later in the week, I should think there is unlikely to be any movements until then. That will leave just one more week of the window to get a couple more in, but my every instinct is, the pot has now run dry and we are looking at a couple of loans. I would love to think otherwise, but I'm not very hopeful of any significant incomings. Could be wrong , hope I am
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Michael Owen is a glaring example and Dele Alli has also had hamstring injuries.

there would be games (hopefully) when we were up maybe 3-0 with 20 to go and he could come off.

and in weekend (Christmas period) where there are loads of games back to back to back, again squad rotation or a rest here and there wouldn't go amiss

loss of form too, would help rather than tear the arse out of someone who is struggling to find form a game or so out.

plus someone like a DM who has played there for ages could help his growth as a player.

I don't watch loads and loads of other countries football international games mostly - maybe there's someone in France cheapish.

like I say I did see Pulgar quite a bit in the Copa, don't watch much Italian football these days. however a good age, good stats, good size, technically good and a Chilean international with a 12M release clause.

worth looking at is all.

if we take the logic that we don't need cover for anyone, why do we have a 25 man squad and a game day squad of 18 ? why not just have 11 and 3 subs ?

:?
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

If it’s about resting Rice to get the best out of him now, this season, then I’m all for it. However, if it’s about maybe extending his career in the future then I’m with FJ - his contract is with West Ham, we need to be getting the max out of it.

Michael Owen was a great player for Liverpool - I don’t remember too many scousers being gutted that he lost it by the time he turned 30.

Besides, he was younger at the time he broke through, and his game was all about that burst of speed.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

didn't Anderson look a bit jaded last season ? weren't many on here crying out for him getting a bit of a rest ?

Noble ?

loads on here are suggesting we need 2 players for every position. but not at DM

we have
2 RB/2 LB plus Johnson
4 CB
3 GK
2 AMC
2 RW
2 LW
2 F + Antonio

but we're happy to go into the season with Sanchez as a back up ?

ok.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Not saying that, Cuenca - just saying that if Rice is good enough - and fit enough - to play every game without his performance levels dipping then happy days.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

OohAahButler wrote:Not saying that, Cuenca - just saying that if Rice is good enough - and fit enough - to play every game without his performance levels dipping then happy days.
he like most players would benefit from a) an occasional rest especially over the holibobs b) help in the midfield when necessary (away at Citeh, The Bin Dippers etc.) hoping he can play 45+ games next year without a dip in form and/or injury - well we got through last year with no sub at DM or CB for too long - is like playing Russian Roulette
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Another day, still very quiet and no signs of a midfielder joining. Are we sleepwalking into deadline day and are now going to no longer add to our squad?

Hope I am wrong but I am starting to get that impression.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:didn't Anderson look a bit jaded last season ? weren't many on here crying out for him getting a bit of a rest ?

Noble ?

loads on here are suggesting we need 2 players for every position. but not at DM

we have
2 RB/2 LB plus Johnson
4 CB
3 GK
2 AMC
2 RW
2 LW
2 F + Antonio

but we're happy to go into the season with Sanchez as a back up ?

ok.
So cantankerous :wink:

I do agree however.

Thing is...

Rice is good so whoever we get probably knows they are an understudy. Normally in a situation like this you opt for one of three options:

1, you’re a top club and can convince a top player in his prime to come and compete for a place because you can afford their wages, offer them Euro football, play to their ego that if they’re good enough they’ll win the spot.

2, you’re not a top club so you buy a young prospect who can learn from the established pro and one say usurp him.

3, you’re not a top club and the established player is young and brilliant so you buy an ageing pro with pedigree to act as back up.

1, we aren’t a top club

2, Rice is too young for this option

3, you end up with a Sanchez or Medel... which is what we are moaning about.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

A lot question if Arthur can defend yet MP is clearly happy with him at LB given the extension signed, it could have easily been a couple of years tops.

Some might argue that akin to Rice at DM we have only one true striker, Haller, his primary back up being a converted winger given Hernandez is pretty much a waste of space in the sole striker role in the Premier.

We do have 2 DM. Perhaps MP is happy with Sanchez as back up to Rice - after all at no stage does he seem to have actively targeted another player in that role.

We will see come the end of the window. It will be for MP/MH to decide if and where they consider they can best improve the squad with whatever budget is left.