The summer transfer window 2019 thread

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

gmhammer

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by gmhammer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:54 am

HammerAl wrote:How strange for a fully grown man to make up a rumour like that. Attention seeking of the very highest.
To be fair, it was an experiment to expose how little original work Sky (& others) put in to their reporting, just recycle rumours. I think it worked a lot more than they expected. Whats interesting is this summer, last years rumour has resurfaced all by itself which surely proves how spurious a lot of these stories are.

HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:12 pm

That Moise Kean chap is on his way to Everton. That’ll be interesting.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:16 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:That Moise Kean chap is on his way to Everton. That’ll be interesting.

Oh what it is must be like to support a club where money is not such an issue

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:18 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:That Moise Kean chap is on his way to Everton. That’ll be interesting.
It's a great signing for them, very reminiscent of them signing Lukaku from Chelsea - a talented but not yet proven centre forward. Only difference is, Lukaku had had promising loan spells in the Premier League before his move - Kean's still a raw talent who hasn't had a really great full season somewhere.

If it works out, though, it's an excellent signing. Part of me expects Juve to have a buy back clause in the contract, mind you, so it could turn out to effectively be a very expensive loan.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Puff Daddy wrote: Oh what it is must be like to support a club where money is not such an issue
They're currently in net profit for the window

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Puff Daddy wrote: Oh what it is must be like to support a club where money is not such an issue
You'd moan that he was unproven over here if we'd signed him and that he'd only scored 6 league goals last year and we should go for Duvan Zapata instead.

Longaz

Post by Longaz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

Oh what it is must be like to support a club where money is not such an issue
If it's Everton you're referring too. Change 2 of our defeats into draws (So 2 extra points), add 2 goals onto our total and there you have it.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Patito wrote:

You'd moan that he was unproven over here if we'd signed him and that he'd only scored 6 league goals last year and we should go for Duvan Zapata instead.
I don't know if I would, I've heard great things about this lad, since he scored a couple of goals for Italy quite recently,but unfortunately, he comes in for a bit of racial abuse in Italy. However, back on topic, it must be nice to support a team who don't have quite the issues over spending as us, don't you think ? I wonder if we will ever see the day

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Puff Daddy wrote: it must be nice to support a team who don't have quite the issues over spending as us, don't you think ? I wonder if we will ever see the day
Last summer? Image

I think Everton's net spend is pretty low this summer, Puff. They've made a loan permanent, sold their best midfielder and replaced him with Delph. Not great really is it? Kean has talent but who's going to score more this season, him or Haller?

Just had a look and when they complete the Kean signing their net spend this summer will be nil.....
Last edited by Patito on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:However, back on topic, it must be nice to support a team who don't have quite the issues over spending as us, don't you think ? I wonder if we will ever see the day
We have spent more money than them on players in this window even after they buy Kean.

What are you talking about?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 pm

We also spent more than them last year as well.

woodford

Post by woodford » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:00 pm

will you guys stop getting in the way of a decent whinge !!

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:04 pm

The numpty won't answer now though.

He'll disappear for a day and then come back and make the same inaccurate comment again, as he has done on a weekly basis during this window.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Interested to see how this goes for them. The Serie A —-> PL striker transition has been a powerful force for quite a long time.

Tactically, one thing that’s interesting is that he’s never had a shot on target with his head, let alone scored (although he’s young enough for that not to be a true picture). With the rest of their frontline likely to be fellow shortarses Bernard and Richarlison, it seems like a waste of Digne’s primary talent - his crossing ability is probably second only to the two Liverpool fullbacks.

Whu_Law23

Post by Whu_Law23 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:19 pm

I personally think Moise Kean to Everton will be another Iheanacho to Leicester type signing. Does well scoring tap ins for a big side, but not sure he’ll be that good in a lesser team.

Then again, I might just be biased towards not liking Everton so...

StevePottsGoalsReel

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Aceface wrote:With the rest of their frontline likely to be fellow shortarses Bernard and Richarlison, it seems like a waste of Digne’s primary talent - his crossing ability is probably second only to the two Liverpool fullbacks.
No one tell Everton, but I hear there's a no.9 available on a free who is absolutely "unplayable" in the air on his day...

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Allardyce yesterday on Talksport:
“Carlton Cole was going to West Brom. I was getting Adebayor on loan from Tottenham Hotspur to West Ham United. At 11.45pm, Levy decided we couldn’t have him. I had to ring Carlton and tell him I had to bring him back. He didn’t speak to me for two weeks.”
Levy proving as always he's a weapon of the highest order – Carlton got stiffed out of a 3-year contract due to his trolling. Instead was essentially finished as a top level player when the season ended a few months later. Think he only played another dozen or so games, period, after the end of that season.

I can't stand Allardyce but you can't blame him for what he did in the circumstances.

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 pm

fjthegrey wrote:The numpty won't answer now though.

He'll disappear for a day and then come back and make the same inaccurate comment again, as he has done on a weekly basis during this window.
To be fair there's a fair amount of ...

"Why do Spanish teams have release clauses/Why are release clauses so high/why don't we use release clauses"

..as well.

traxop

Post by traxop » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 pm

30M for Kean seems a little steep. Would've thought Everton might have spent it on a more established talent. His experience - or lack of it - makes him more of an understudy? Surely they aren't expecting him to lead the line as their main man?

Juve fans seem to mix feelings about the deal, but a couple did catch my eye.
People like to get excited. He had one great month, but it was against Udinese, Cagliari, Empoli, Finland, Lichtenstein.
Nah, he scored 11 goals in SerieA and had just one good season. Imho it's kinda a bet for Everton: if he keeps getting better, they have good material in their hands. 30-40mil for a young player is ok
It feels eerily like another Iheanacho situation, where his(Kean) goal tally was getting propped up by virtue of playing in the best team in Italy. As soon as he joins a team less dominant, his returns drops markedly, from 7 in 17 at Juve to 4 in 20 at Verona.

I don't get this signing at all, Everton obviously have the money to spend but they've gone and chosen someone that is by every metric very raw.
Last edited by traxop on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:36 pm

In Puff’s defence

Since the move to the Bowl Everton will have outspent us by just over £30m net in transfers as well as having a higher wage bill and lower turnover. Assuming they buy Moise Kean and doesn’t include the amount they will spend on replacing Gueye.