The summer transfer window 2019 thread

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Cellar-door » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 am

hammer1975 wrote: I don’t think anyone expects a spend like a top six side. However, we’ve spent less than Wolves, Leicester, Everton, Brighton and Bournemouth since the move to the bowl. £25m net to improve on two positions would improve our squad depth significantly. The concern is that last summer was the exception - not this one, is it driven by core financials or a lack of ambition? The fear is the latter given history prior to last summer. That’s before you chuck in all the nonsense about why we moved.

I’m surprised at such apathy. The owner threads this time last year were full of posts saying hey were happy with the 2018 window but the amount (less than £100m -c£80m net) had clearly been saved up over a few windows prior and we wanted to see another window of decent net spend to believe they’d turned the corner....and we’re now looking at £25m net spend with probably half of that saved on wages......and club sources saying no loans and we might scrape together enough for one cheap player....
It's not apathy, it's a realization of what clubs outside the top 6 usually spend if they don't have a huge cash injection from a Billionaire owner, and an appreciation that we have a manager and DoF who have spent well.

I'm not terribly concerned that we won't advance as a club if this continues (I noted that if it is 25M every year I'd be concerned, but 25M will be the 2nd lowest of the last 5 years behind the first year at the new stadium when we spent nothing).
This is the best squad we've had in decades, and the core of it (minus Rice) are all players brought in the last 2 summers (Diop, Anderson, Fornals, Haller, Fabianski, Yarmolenko etc.).

That this thread is going wild about not getting a backup DM, or a 3rd striker is just more evidence of how much has changed, 2 years ago we had no creative players, no strikers, no spine. We've improved incredibly in a short period of time, and success breeds more success.
We don't have owners who will inject significant cash, we've known that since they got here, and we know that they won't sell until at least 2023.
So I'm not going to get too worked up about a modest budget this year, given the big spend last year and how they unwisely blew out the wage budget in the past 4-5 years. A consolidation year that also gets us two highly regarded young players like Fornals and Haller is a very good summer. If next year has a similar budget.... well then I'll be concerned.

Ding

Post by Ding » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:32 am

Pezzo posted earlier about Pellegrini not being interested in pursuing other than his number 1 targets for one of two positions in the remainder of this window. He later followed up with another post saying the issue is more about the availability of the said targets as opposed to the size of our remaining kitty.

One can infer from the above that there is sufficient money available for at least one more purchase. In other words, net spend could be higher than the current 25M if Pellegrini decides to spend it. Further, it is equally clear that he would not spend it unless his top targets are available. Many (correctly in my opinion) read this as the sign of a good professional manager at work.

Yet a few pages on, the thread has become “Embarrassing Sully only approved 25M net spend and Pellegrini has been paid hush money to shut up”.

Reverse alchemy. Turning gold to ****. It’s amazing really. Mind numbingly consistent and almost miraculous in its inevitability. :D

HoustonHammer24

Post by HoustonHammer24 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 am

Maripan and Pulgar. Just going to keep saying it, to will it into existence...

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 am

My guess is it is Iheanacho . Hence the concern about availability.
Other targets could be Otamendi and Chris Wood.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 am

Peaches wrote:My guess is it is Iheanacho . Hence the concern about availability.
Other targets could be Otamendi and Chris Wood.
All feasible suggestions there , Peaches -

However , that's potentially another £50m for two players not guaranteed to start .

Would be excellent for the squad and a show of intention but we do have to remember whose fingers are on the purse .

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:53 am

I reckon the player Pezza hinted was Maripan and will only happen if we can somehow sell Ogbonna.

Either way it's a pathetic predicament the owners won't go the extra mile for their manager. Where's the ambition? :thdn:

westhamlinnet

Post by westhamlinnet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:33 am

Bournemouth allegedly spending 25 million on Liverpool winger Harry Wilson coupled with 15 million signing of billing from Huddersfield . In addition they managed to secure excellent fees for Ming's and some forward from Sheffield United. A 12k capacity ground and an owner who on paper is worth less than ours.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:00 am

Leicester have a great squad and under Rogers will do well, Wolves will have another strong season under Nuno, not sure about Everton however if they sort the issue of not having anyone up front they could be good, they seem to be active in the market right now.

People on here thinking we’re a shoe in for 7th are deluded (in my view) it’s going to be tough going to improve on last years league position.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am

With the squad we currently have, I'm in no doubt we'll make the top 10 again. Top 6 I'm unsure of but half a chance if we don't suffer too much with injuries. I think we'll also do well in 1 of the Cups.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:16 am

When we expect to do well, we inevitably cock it up, in the most spectacular fashion.

The West Ham way.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 am

And the reason I'm predicting a struggle. Just think with our yearly injury problems the last thing we need is a paper thin squad. Sure the first team looks ace on paper. What if half are injured.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:26 am

I think rather than wasting time imagining our best team we should look at our worst possible team and then improve that - as that's the most likely team to be playing and available every week.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 am

S-H wrote:When we expect to do well, we inevitably cock it up, in the most spectacular fashion.

The West Ham way.
Well yes , there is that but if we believe we're going to do well every season the law of averages says that one year we'll do well .

I'm 63 now , what chance have I got of seeing it happen ?

Our best Premiership finish is 5th with a couple of 7th places thrown in along with two relegations .

We hang on to the '85/'86 season like some old family jewel .

These owners aren't interested in European Football , more trouble than it's worth and a huge threat to their Premiership Dividend .

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 am

Cellar-door wrote: It's not apathy, it's a realization of what clubs outside the top 6 usually spend if they don't have a huge cash injection from a Billionaire owner, and an appreciation that we have a manager and DoF who have spent well.
Agree that manager and DoF have spent well. You’re comparing us to the top six again though. My challenge was our spend relative to Wolves, Leicester, Everton (our current peers) and Brighton and Bournemouth. We’re behind all of them since the move to the Bowl.
Cellar-door wrote: I'm not terribly concerned that we won't advance as a club if this continues (I noted that if it is 25M every year I'd be concerned, but 25M will be the 2nd lowest of the last 5 years behind the first year at the new stadium when we spent nothing).
This is the best squad we've had in decades, and the core of it (minus Rice) are all players brought in the last 2 summers (Diop, Anderson, Fornals, Haller, Fabianski, Yarmolenko etc.).
Net £24m this summer
£77m in 2018
£11m gain in 2017
£39m in 2016
£31m in 2015
£28m in 2014
2018 is the outlier. £175m turnover, £107m wages, £4m interest, £3m rent. Where does the rest go? It pays down the debt to GSB. By paying down that debt it increases their profit on sale. They’ve effectively borrowed money against the club (at high interest historically) to buy it, used the club operating model (paid in by fans) to pay that debt off. £20m purchase of the club - if they clear the debt and the clause ends they can sell for 100’s of £millions. That’s why we spend less than our peers.
Cellar-door wrote: That this thread is going wild about not getting a backup DM, or a 3rd striker is just more evidence of how much has changed, 2 years ago we had no creative players, no strikers, no spine. We've improved incredibly in a short period of time, and success breeds more success.
We don't have owners who will inject significant cash, we've known that since they got here, and we know that they won't sell until at least 2023.
They’ve not injected any cash since they bought the club. None. They’ve only ever loaned it.

Context is everything - pretty much every club in the premier league can make that point about improved squad, it’s the Sky money effect.
Cellar-door wrote: So I'm not going to get too worked up about a modest budget this year, given the big spend last year and how they unwisely blew out the wage budget in the past 4-5 years. A consolidation year that also gets us two highly regarded young players like Fornals and Haller is a very good summer. If next year has a similar budget.... well then I'll be concerned.
Our wage budget was 11th in the PL last year, despite the noises from the club it’s not blown out relative to peers. It will be a similar transfer budget next year - why would it not be? The numbers above show that last summer was the exception and funded by the gain in the prior year and a slightly lower spend this year. The frustration is around a missed opportunity (again) when it’s pretty obvious that there are a couple of positions that don’t have enough depth.

Razzle dazzle still there imo

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 am

The issue for me isn't so much the business we are doing as I'm generally happy with the Squad we are building, especially the first team (I really do think it's a quality XI should everyone stay fit). It's the fact I still believe we could have achieved similar signings had we remained at The Boleyn. That's what ****'s me off most about the Dildo twins.

artlin

Post by artlin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:59 am

Boohoo, hisssssss. Down with this sort sort of thing. Everyone is bad. Sack them all. Spend lots of money. We deserve to win everything. Blah, blah. :thdn:

umweb

Post by umweb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:01 am

Colours never run wrote:The issue for me isn't so much the business we are doing as I'm generally happy with the Squad we are building, especially the first team (I really do think it's a quality XI should everyone stay fit). It's the fact I still believe we could have achieved similar signings had we remained at The Boleyn. That's what ****'s me off most about the Dildo twins.
exactly. I never cared how much we spent or where we finished. if I did, I wouldn't be supporting west ham.

what has happened is that they have ruined live football for me which will never be forgiven.

jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:03 am

Ozza wrote:
People on here thinking we’re a shoe in for 7th are deluded (in my view) it’s going to be tough going to improve on last years league position.
you're brave.

and completely right.

run

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 am

artlin wrote:Boohoo, hisssssss. Down with this sort sort of thing. Everyone is bad. Sack them all. Spend lots of money. We deserve to win everything. Blah, blah. :thdn:
What a pathetic post

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 am

Hammer 1975 excellent post :thup: