The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Albie Beck »

YorksHammer wrote:The only reason Reid is '4th choice' is because he's spent 18 months or something near it out injured.

If he comes back from that and is able to regain his past levels, he's up to third choice ahead of Ogbonna immediately. Overhauling Diop and The General is a harder ask, but I'd certainly see him on their level at his best.
The Reid of 15/16 would be great, but it remains to be see because we are 4 seasons on and he had had a major injury.

Someone said earlier that Oggy looks better in a 3. That's probably because he's spent most of his senior career playing in that formation, which is common in Italy but not something that I think Pellers is ever going to turn to.

However Oggy is a good footballer, and even at this late stage of his career Pellers is capable of making him a decent defender in a 4.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

I don't understand the negativity either!!! We have the best squad I can remember in terms of depth....

The only kind of player I'd like to see in would be someone like Chambers who can cover both DM / CB and help our homegrown quota.... Thing is he would 1) be upwards of £25m 2) would see no appeal in joining us to sit on the bench 3) would not add anything to our starting 11. There's more value taking a chance on Oxford and selling him on for a similar fee after a couple of blinders like his Arsenal debut!!! :lol:

A Loan striker would still be a bonus but as lots of people on here have pointed out we need to offload squad players to bring anyone else in.....
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

All things being equal, Reid is our best centre-back and Wilshere's our best central midfielder. It will be interesting how their injuries have impacted them and how much they'll get on the pitch.

Reid has missed 18 months of football so who knows.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Georgee Paris wrote:Reid produced one of the greatest defensive displays I’ve ever seen... even better than that Norwegian chap at Man U that time.

Hannu Thininen. He was Finnish. Wish we'd kept him.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Same. Looked a great player.

And for my money that Winston Reid vs Blue Mancs is the best I've ever seen by a West Ham player.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Patito wrote:Hannu Thininen. He was Finnish. Wish we'd kept him.
:thup:
International partner of Sami Hyypia too.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Reid & Balbuena at CB and Diop pushed forward next to Rice. Sorted.
SG12FFS
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by SG12FFS »

Oliver Ntcham and Renato Sanchez are two on the list
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Akpom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Helps fulfil our homegrown quota.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Surprised Adrian hasn't found a club yet!
Last edited by claretandblue82 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

SG12FFS wrote:Oliver Ntcham and Renato Sanchez are two on the list
Ntcham I believe classes as 'homegrown' as well, due to his time at City. I'm pretty sure he spent three consecutive years there, prior to his 21st birthday.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

I feel we have a stronger starting 11 but a weaker overall squad than last season.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Turns to Stone wrote:
I don't actually agree with this. Ogbonna is a very capable Centre-back and Reid is probably the best 4th choice centre-back we've ever had. Not to mention the fact that we have Rice and Zabaleta who can do it at a push.

The issue for me is that the back four just don't get enough support from the midfield. We have attacking full-backs who like to push on, and whilst Rice is 6'4 and strong, he's not lightning quick. Noble was never quick and is getting slower and Snodgrass and Wilshere make me look pacy.

The team is fine, it's just missing the option of some legs in the middle of the park.
Spot on with all of that TTS. I'd also add in that Rice is still a relative novice in the role at this level - big season coming up for him I believe, as he continues to progress
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Turns to Stone wrote:I think a worry that all West Ham fan have comes from our relegation in 2003.

We had the best crop of youngsters that any side had produced in years, we had a strong fan base and we had some very good International footballers playing at their peak. But we failed to strengthen in the right areas (central midfield and central defence). I think the fact that we had to watch that summer as Cole, Di Canio, Kanoute and Johnson all left, quickly followed by Defoe and Carrick was incredibly hard to take.

This is the fear that I think we all have now. How depressing it would be to fail to make one or two signings in the right area which resulted in us losing all of our fantastic prospects.

I personally don't think we will go down, but I can see why fans are constantly worried when we don't invest in areas that look weak. We've been down this road before.

I completely agree with this. Why don’t we ever sign defensive players like teams around us? It’s like the club don’t place a value on it. It’s **** watching the amount of tonkings over the years we have.
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

Gsbgsb wrote:Genuine question as I have no idea but the general criticism seems to be that whilst we have decent first team players our perceived back up in nearly every position is not good enough. In essence the second team is poor.
For me it's not the second team. I think those advocating a new, energetic midfielder are simply unconvinced at the balance of our first team midfield Rice / Wilshere/ Fornals. It's quite a risky plan A and if it doesn't work, we will see a reversion to a more "make-do" midfield, probably with the inclusion of Snodgrass.

It's not at all panic stations, and I trust Pelle to make do with what we've got, it just seems like an obvious flaw which will be the first thing opposition managers identify when playing us.

Given Obiang has now left, and Noble n' Snoddy are getting no younger, it makes sense to invest in a high quality, energetic midfielder who will be knocking on the door of the first team, ready to come in should plan A fail, or as cover for injury.

Buy before we're desperate - it's cheaper that way as well.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Billericay Hammer wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Akpom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Helps fulfil our homegrown quota.
Hails from Canning Town, too. f*** knows what he's like as a Striker though.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Marky wrote:

I completely agree with this. Why don’t we ever sign defensive players like teams around us? It’s like the club don’t place a value on it. It’s **** watching the amount of tonkings over the years we have.
tbf we bought three defenders last Summer who are likely to be three quarters of our first choice back four
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

rudekid wrote:I don't understand the negativity either!!!
It's purely because it's now been a couple of weeks since our last signing.

Immediately post-Haller, it was all upbeat and happy days in here. All the glass half empty types who insisted that the Haller and Gomez stuff was smoke and mirrors (I refuse to use the 'R-D' phrase) had buttoned it.

I'm one of those who thinks this is the best squad we've had in a long time. We have decent back-ups in every position, with the (possible) exception of Sanchez - but I think it's too early to judge him. Also that we can't expect top players to come here to be back-ups. And that the best way to develop is to evolve the team by introducing new players gradually rather than a massive influx of new faces in one go.

There will ALWAYS be areas of the squad which are weaker than others - we'll never get to the end of that conundrum. Forth Bridge and all that.

In the meantime, we're starting the new season with an exciting new, expensive, young, striker and an embarrassment of ball-playing attacking midfielders to provide a selection headache for the manager. Underpinned by our best homegrown talent in years at DM. And with the established Drop-Balbuena partnership firmly bedded in behind.

What's not to like?
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

OohAahButler wrote:
It's purely because it's now been a couple of weeks since our last signing.

Immediately post-Haller, it was all upbeat and happy days in here. All the glass half empty types who insisted that the Haller and Gomez stuff was smoke and mirrors (I refuse to use the 'R-D' phrase) had buttoned it.

I'm one of those who thinks this is the best squad we've had in a long time. We have decent back-ups in every position, with the (possible) exception of Sanchez - but I think it's too early to judge him. Also that we can't expect top players to come here to be back-ups. And that the best way to develop is to evolve the team by introducing new players gradually rather than a massive influx of new faces in one go.

There will ALWAYS be areas of the squad which are weaker than others - we'll never get to the end of that conundrum. Forth Bridge and all that.

In the meantime, we're starting the new season with an exciting new, expensive, young, striker and an embarrassment of ball-playing attacking midfielders to provide a selection headache for the manager. Underpinned by our best homegrown talent in years at DM. And with the established Drop-Balbuena partnership firmly bedded in behind.

What's not to like?

Amd ...dont forget the goal keeper OAB
Patito

Post by Patito »

You're the man, OAB. :thup: