The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by paulhs1 »

Patito

I genuinely think we are 2, possibly even only 1 signing away from a really good window.

The others are upgrading and looks like there not finished. We (supposedly) are done.

This window thus far will see us standstill as opposed to push on. That's my view.
Patito

Post by Patito »

paulhs1 wrote:Patito

I genuinely think we are 2, possibly even only 1 signing away from a really good window.

The others are upgrading and looks like there not finished. We (supposedly) are done.

This window thus far will see us standstill as opposed to push on. That's my view.

I agree with you, in the main. I'm just questioning how much the others are upgrading. No doubt they are more likely to add than us in the last week or so! I hope we can get that final player in that Pellegrini really wants. :thup:
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

We signed four of our first choice back 5 last season! :?[/quote]

And zero this (if you don’t count reserve goalies). So it’s averaging 2 a year for a team not know for its defending.
If you speak to a neutral not many would champion us for our defensive acumen..l
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Patito

Apparently Everton want 5 more between now and Thursday!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I don't know what you expect us to do, Marky - replace one of the four players we signed last summer who have established themselves as starters over last season?

While I think we could improve at left back, Pellegrini obviously rates Masuaku enough to give him a lengthy contract and invest faith in him as a team player.

So what are we supposed to do? What would make you happy? Replacing Diop? Balbuena? Fabianski?

Most on here seem to agree that the area that would make a defensive boost for us is improving the midfield - but in Rice we have one of the best English DMs in the country and a player who is continually improving. So do we replace him?

Like...what do you want us to do? What would be good enough for you?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1521 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Marky wrote:Ogbonna, Chicharito (lazy), Sanchez and Zabaleta (now) are awful. I don’t want any of them playing 10 games + for us
I think if you compare that to our last season under Bilic you get:-

Ogbonna - Fonte
Chicharito - Calleri
Sanchez - Nordveit
Zabaleta - Arbeloa

They may not be perfect, but it's progress.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Is it ok for me to think we probably won't finish 7th? I would expect us to be 11th with potential for being 8th, but unlikely.

I don't think we've done business that will transform us, I think there's a bundle of teams in there who are just as good as us, if not better, and I think we have some weaknesses that we are trying to cover in interesting and exciting ways, but that that won't work all the time.

That's fine, I kind of prefer to manager having this optimistic and attacking way about him, pragmatism is mundane and football should be entertaining, but I don't think it will do anything major. I'm a little concerned that we won't get players near enough to Haller and that we don't realise how important Arnie's solo ability and pace in behind was.
Patito

Post by Patito »

paulhs1 wrote:Patito

Apparently Everton want 5 more between now and Thursday!

Very bold! They are good at getting bodies in but hit and miss at integrating them. Perhaps Bernard and Mina will be like new signings for them this season?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Wilko1304 wrote:Is it ok for me to think we probably won't finish 7th?
I think most people would agree with you!
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Irrons wrote:Obiang needs to be replaced, as a minimum. Another striker I think we could manage without and revisit in Jan if needed. In both cases whoever it is ideally needs to be a youngish longer term replacement rather than an over the hill stop-gap squad filler
replaced by who, another back up centre half ?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Marky wrote:Ogbonna, Chicharito (lazy), Sanchez and Zabaleta (now) are awful. I don’t want any of them playing 10 games + for us
:lol:.

Not one awful player there...
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Irrons wrote:Obiang needs to be replaced, as a minimum. Another striker I think we could manage without and revisit in Jan if needed. In both cases whoever it is ideally needs to be a youngish longer term replacement rather than an over the hill stop-gap squad filler
hammerddh wrote:replaced by who, another back up centre half ?
David Gold? Do they let you use the internet still?
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Marky wrote:Ogbonna, Chicharito (lazy), Sanchez and Zabaleta (now) are awful.
il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Not one awful player there...
Ogbonna - 2 Serie A titles and a runners-up medal in Euro 12
Chicharito - 2 Premier League titles and a Champions League Runners-up medal
Sanchez - 82 International caps
Zabaleta - 2 Premier League titles, 2 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 PFA Team of the Year award

I must admit, whilst I'm not a bug Sanchez fan, by West Ham standards these lads are certainly not 'awful'.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Beginning to think Johnson is going to be starting on the right against City. Another start for him today.
Last edited by Aceface on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Chicharito - 108 international caps 51 international goals. Outstanding really, especially for us.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote:Is it ok for me to think we probably won't finish 7th? I would expect us to be 11th with potential for being 8th, but unlikely.

I don't think we've done business that will transform us, I think there's a bundle of teams in there who are just as good as us, if not better, and I think we have some weaknesses that we are trying to cover in interesting and exciting ways, but that that won't work all the time.

That's fine, I kind of prefer to manager having this optimistic and attacking way about him, pragmatism is mundane and football should be entertaining, but I don't think it will do anything major. I'm a little concerned that we won't get players near enough to Haller and that we don't realise how important Arnie's solo ability and pace in behind was.
The margins between finishing 7th and 12th will be tiny
An injury or suspension here or there, a couple of iffy refereeing decisions, or slices of good luck/ bad luck. One club maybe having a cup run, and another not

I would say that predicting who will finish where in the group that contains Leicester, Everton, us, Wolves and maybe Palace, Southampton etc is impossible. i think the best performing of these teams will be much close to the top 6 than last season, but no idea who the 'best' ones will be
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Patito wrote:Chicharito - 108 international caps 51 international goals. Outstanding really, especially for us.
He hasn’t even been bad for us anyway. 16 goals still scored despite not always starting, playing upfront on his own in defense minded set ups, and even on the wing. Sure, at times he could’ve been better, but he’s not alone. To label him as an awful player is beyond belief...
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Aceface wrote:Beginning to think Johnson is going to be starting on the right against City. Another start for him today.
You can't help but think that's going to be his preferred starting team.

With the option of Noble or Sanchez in for Fornals to add some stability or Wilshere to give him a rest.

The squad is certainly looking good. I just think that team could be really, really good if we could just add a partner for Rice who is a little more robust than Wilshere or Noble. Otherwise, it looks mustard.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I think Fornals will be nailed on to play pretty much every game.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Predicting a finish is impossible, so many variables for so many teams. As Pellegrini noted, the goal should be to play better, and let the standings take care of themselves. Last year was a clear improvement on the year before, we finished 10th with a -3 GD. The goal this year should be a positive GD an more than 52 points. That could be anywhere from 6th to 10th again and I'd still consider it at least a modest success.