The summer transfer window 2019 thread

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

westlondonhammer

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by westlondonhammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Top post Het Field.

Also, worth considering that most of our 'back up' were starters a year or 2 ago.

Just look at who isn't starting today: Noble, Zabaleta, Yarmolenko, Hernandez, Antonio, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Ogbonna, Reid, Masuaku (who I think will start next week, so Cresswell won't be),

Quite a few were our starting 11 2 years ago. All good enough to be relied upon to play.

We've come a great deal. That's not even considering some of the promising kids coming through...

ExeC

Post by ExeC » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 pm

All the people saying we missed a trick on Delph.

Hes gone off after 4 mins with an injury :s (calf maybe)

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Fernandes games played 18/19 = 0 games = 0 minutes played
Nasri games played 18/19 = 3 (2) games = 246 minutes total played less than 3 total games
Obiang games played 18/19 = 12 (12) games = 1121 minutes less than 13 total games

16 full games and 14 sub appearances between the 3 of them.

I am all for being factually correct

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Colours never run wrote:For sure, they've spent a lot in the past, the point was merely that they still went an entire season (including January) without spending a penny and for the team not to suffer a great deal, in fact thrived in Europe. So it's not a written rule, we must spend big every summer to kick on relatively speaking, if the manager is comfortable with that. Pochettino was last season and maybe Pellegrini is content with what he's been trying to do this summer with clever prudent business going on.
This comparison comes up a lot but Tottenham didn’t restrict spending last year - they restricted spending on transfers. It’s more accurate to say they were investing, just elsewhere in the club. What are our chums doing with it?

The squad Spurs left intact finished in a CL position the previous season so was already one of the stronger ones in the league, with a wage bill that was still the 6th highest even without adding to it - a predictor that suggested they’d be competing for that CL spot regardless. We finished 10th and have restricted our annual ‘investment’ in the club to £20m, most likely - given precedent - to take us past January and into next summer.

And if you ever listen to Pochettino being interviewed, he very clearly is FAR from content with not spending - because he’s competitive and wants to push on. If Pellegrini is content I’m not sure it’s actually the positive you think it is.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:23 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Are you still posting this ****? That £93m backline I posted last night not enough to enlighten you?
do you sit there just waiting for me to post so that you can try to take it apart ?

so you disagree that generally speaking the quality of the players is dependent on the amount of money spent on said player ?

d you reckon say a player of Messi's quality, a De Bruyne, an Aguero et al can be picked up for peanuts ?

I said "generally" - not in every case, and I even gave examples of 2 players we got good value.

if top quality players can be generally picked up for reasonable amounts, why are teams not doing that ? why did we pay 35M for Anderson ? or 45M for Haller ? maybe you could give Daniel Levy a ring and offer your services on how he could have saved money on Ndombele and demanded a cut....

and no, I didn't read your post. I bet you're devastated now ain't you ?

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
I am all for being factually correct
Yeah.

Except 3+12=15

Sorry :oops:

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:40 pm

my fat fingers on the keyboard

correct 3+12=16

:lol:

maybe I should have called it a day @ 70 ?

:(

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:45 pm

According Ex, West Ham and Wolfes are apparently behind the 24 yearls old brazilian Lazio defender Wallace (Fortuna dos Santos) as a potencial CB sign...

The said price tag has to be £6.5 million...

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/west ... r-wallace/

But, what amazed me the most, and also in this forum, is the tendence to downgrade and understimate buy prices by players... as we were playing Monopoly... :wink:

Lazio paid already last summer 8m Euro for him, what is about £6.5 million...

So, what on earth would let you Lazio will sell the player for nothing?

(Same thing have seen many times on here, when people said Maripan will cost £15 m... as his buy clause is also £23 m! )

He had also a spell in Monaco in his CV, what sure make his sell clause more increase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_( ... ober_1994)

Thats why, I do not see it happen... sadly
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
quote LeonRivers
"Are you still posting this ****? That £93m backline I posted last night not enough to enlighten you?"

do you sit there just waiting for me to post so that you can try to take it apart ?
I have noticed this and if it continues, it will be classed as trolling and appropriate action taken. I have no problem people debating issues with counter arguments, but just being abusive for the sake of who the poster is, isn't on.

We have PM for personal disagreements

:kumb:

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 pm

to be honest I don't want a PM from him bristol...and I don't intent PM-ing him.

I honestly posted that I think a player's ability generally reflects their price and vice versa. I also mentioned 2 players in our squad that I think we got good value from.

80M for McGuire. England International. you're not going to get him for nothing.

quite why my opinion is a cause for "still posting this ****" I have no clue.

this isn't the first time. either.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Noted

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:55 pm

LouieOneChop wrote:Sign alacantra and tell Rice he will play a few games at CB this season, he will shine there IMO and that would increase his value as well
Thiago Alcantara from Bayer Munich???

Impossible, he just got injured a couple of days ago...

Cruciate ligament injury... a bad one.

He will be also in the shipyard for a while stil..

The Moth

Post by The Moth » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:01 pm

For those saying we need another CM, given we currently have 7 senior CMs on the books, if we were to sign another who would you like to see leave? Sanchez? Noble? Snodgrass? Wilshire perhaps?

Or are people saying they think we need to carry 8 senior CMs in a squad?

Personally I think people should give Sanchez a chance. He is clearly our DCM cover for Rice, has well over 80 caps for Colombia and is known for playing a specific role in his national team as a player who protects the defence and allows their attacking CMs to play higher. His job is just to win the ball and quickly give it to thier more technical gifted players, to me he sounds like perfect cover for Rice and I can see why Pellegrini and Husillos signed him

This is what Hussilos said about him when we signed him
"Carlos is a very experienced player whose career I have always followed closely and with admiration.

“He has great quality as a holding midfielder. He can also cover other positions but it is as a defensive midfielder that he really excels. He is also a fantastic professional, with great character, who will be a very good personality within the dressing room.

“I have known the Colombia national team coach, Jose Pekerman, for many, many years, and he has always spoken very highly of Carlos."

I trust their judgement on players , especially when it comes to South American players. I say give Sanchez a chance , same as all our players in the squad and be thakful that we have a management team thats shifting out the deadwood, unprofessional types, is only interested in bringing in players that will genuinely add qaulity and wants to play attacking , entertaining football. We need to have a proper go at the cups this season , Id love to see Noble lift a cup as West Ham captain before he retires :scarfer:

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:03 pm

westlondonhammer wrote:Top post Het Field.

Also, worth considering that most of our 'back up' were starters a year or 2 ago.

Just look at who isn't starting today: Noble, Zabaleta, Yarmolenko, Hernandez, Antonio, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Ogbonna, Reid, Masuaku (who I think will start next week, so Cresswell won't be),

Quite a few were our starting 11 2 years ago. All good enough to be relied upon to play.

We've come a great deal. That's not even considering some of the promising kids coming through...
Thanks WLH!

You’ve hit the nail on the head, over the course of a year or so, we have signed, and embedded a new team, with a new manager. Fulham tried to do that, and it didn’t work. For us, it has. Usually, moving beyond a previous manager takes ages, but the Bilic era has been moved on from over 18 months. We can call on players who have captained the team, played internationally, played in major European club tournaments, scored prolifically in top European leagues, and have demonstrated their abilities in the PL. they may not be shiney and new, and I’m not saying that people want us to sign Neymar as a back up, but we should always understand that our bench has generally be a consistent group of players (remember a time when the weekly bench would contain Forrest, Potts and Moncs (and usually Kitson) , or a casserole of players who were not good enough, but we couldn’t get shot of. This is better than either of these situations.

Hammersfaniow

Post by Hammersfaniow » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Brighton sign Adam Webster (who?) for £20m

Talk about an over inflated market, absolute madness

And Byram fetched all of £750k :?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Hugill on the scoresheet within 8 mins of his debut. #hitman

Kilkhammer

Post by Kilkhammer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Aceface wrote:Hugill on the scoresheet within 8 mins of his debut. #hitman
I really hope he does well this year :thup:

Ding

Post by Ding » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Pellegrini wants a team that will pass and dribble their opponents into submission. He does not see the need for another defensive midfielder. I can’t personally see how to accomplish what he has in mind, but that’s why I am writing on a forum and he is a top manager. Judging by how we are playing against Bilbao in the last 30 minutes of the first half, I can’t say I am not excited by his vision. We might concede a few in the coming season, but we will also hammer a lot of teams.

In the engineer we trust.

paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Observations from today:

Centre back
Get an upgrade if someone comes in for Ogbonna

Defensive midfielder
Not required we're fine

Full backs
We need to address 1 now. The only proper full back we have is Zabaletta. The rest are wing backs.

Ding

Post by Ding » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:18 pm

I’m not even sure we need another striker. Hernandez looked decent today. Will be a handful with our midfield feeding him. A decent back up to Haller for sure.

I can see why Pellegrini is refusing to spend on other than his top target in the remains of this window. It’s a dangerous team we already have and it’s not going to be easy to improve without spending crazy money. Hope he gets his man.
Last edited by Ding on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.