The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by daveo »

Longaz wrote:For the record, since the summer of 2016. We come in at 8th highest in transfer fees paid (£30m more than Spurs). We are in 10th place in terms of net spend (£30m less than A.Villa). It really isn't about what you spend - but who you spend it on. I guess I'm in the minority but after years of random signings, I'm content having a manager and DoF who seem to actually have a plan in terms of recruitment. And for all the **** Sullivan gets, he recruited well by getting MP and MH and seems to be letting them get on with it. I'd love someone to tell me when we last had a better run of signings than we've had over the last 14 months.
Agree 100%

Some people will never be happy with the Board whatever they do. They’ve made plenty of mistakes in the past but they have learnt their lesson and are now letting experienced football people run the football side of the club and keeping quiet on that front.

Is our squad perfect? Nope

Is it better than last season when we finished tenth despite Wilsh, Yarm, Lanz missing most of the season? Yes definitely

That’s what matters most IMO
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I'm pretty wary (and wearied) by those talking about the missing injured players like we won't get injuries this year, and to many of the same players.

I also can only talk about the strength of our squad in comparison to others. I don't think it's so good that we should be talking it up in exalted terms.

Net spend isn't going to dictate (completely) where we end up, but could we have had the money to do better than Sanchez, Zaba, Nasri and Perez in recent times? I think we should have
SiO
Has liked: 560 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

I'd say Zaba and Perez did well for us, whilst Nasri was worth a punt... Players to be trusted to do some sort of job when called upon... I'd say our business looks great over the time that MP has ruled the roost. Slowly building and getting there :crest:

I dislike the board too but they're not mutually exclusive thoughts
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

SiO wrote:I'd say Zaba and Perez did well for us, whilst Nasri was worth a punt... Players to be trusted to do some sort of job when called upon... I'd say our business looks great over the time that MP has ruled the roost. Slowly building and getting there :crest:

I dislike the board too but they're not mutually exclusive thoughts
I wouldn't disagree, but I also think we could have done much, much better. A talented young striker who could grow with us (a Che Adams) and a new right back, good age, with pace and final product (Pereira was available, we wouldn't spend £18m on a right back though).

I am not saying we should have done a lot, lot more, but I think there's areas we could have spent in that we have cheaped out on.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Could we have done better? Yes. But that doesn’t mean we haven’t done well. While I expect one or two signings next week, even without them this is the best squad of players we’ve had for ages. I like the focused and targeted transfer policy of the current regime and expect us to be in the running for top 6.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Wilko1304 wrote:I'm pretty wary (and wearied) by those talking about the missing injured players like we won't get injuries this year, and to many of the same players.
We will DEFINITELY get injuries again, and no doubt to key players. Point is, we’re starting from a better position than this time last year, when we already had Lanzini and Reid out for the long term, and Carroll in the treatment room. The new players in are young and (God forgive me for tempting fate) have good fitness records.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ding

not digging you out mate, but we won't be signing anyone next week...transfer deadline in this Thursday I believe before the first game of the season...so it's 4 days ......

The summer 2019 transfer window for Premier League clubs opened on 16 May 2019 and will close at 17:00 BST on 8 August.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm really happy with Fornals and Haller. But they should be doing more, as always just the bare minimum to paper over the cracks.

The only excuse for not signing anymore players should be because the manager doesn't want anymore, if the excuses involve money or lack of, then you know they are up to their usual ****, and I have no reason to believe they have changed..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3491 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

daveo wrote:They’ve made plenty of mistakes in the past but they have learnt their lesson and are now letting experienced football people run the football side of the club and keeping quiet on that front.
Where do you think Hugh Southon gets his info from - the fairies at the bottom of the garden?
S-H wrote:The only excuse for not signing anymore players should be because the manager doesn't want anymore.
And that in itself is a fallacy, for there is not a single manager in the world who would reject additional investment if offered it.
Ding wrote: I like the focused and targeted transfer policy of the current regime and expect us to be in the running for top 6.
There has certainly been a marked improvement since Pellegrini and his team were hired. The Board should be credited for that.

However... the fanbase was told that moving to Stratford would result in additional funds with which to improve the squad. Around half of those polled agreed to the move on that basis. Without that promise, it's reasonably likely that the Board would never have received their mandate to go.

Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect the Board to deliver upon those promises.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Ding

not digging you out mate, but we won't be signing anyone next week...transfer deadline in this Thursday I believe before the first game of the season...so it's 4 days ......

The summer 2019 transfer window for Premier League clubs opened on 16 May 2019 and will close at 17:00 BST on 8 August.
I know that mate. By next week I meant the coming week, ie the remains of this window. :)
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 341 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Croydon »

daveo wrote:Some people will never be happy with the Board whatever they do.
After 10 years of the same sh*t, it's going to take more than one season (last) of spending to change my mind.

I personally find the apathy for them strange.
Patito

Post by Patito »

e17 wrote:Doesn’t take stats or bar graphs to tell me that they are pulling the same trick on Pel as EVERY Manager in their second season

This + what SH said :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote:I'm really happy with Fornals and Haller. But they should be doing more, as always just the bare minimum to paper over the cracks.

The only excuse for not signing anymore players should be because the manager doesn't want anymore, if the excuses involve money or lack of, then you know they are up to their usual ****, and I have no reason to believe they have changed..
Pellegrini has historically always spent lots of money. He won't get that option here. Carroll, Arnie and Perez gone and we've replaced them with 1, yes 1 striker. Can't imagine the manager being happy with that.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

S-H wrote:I'm really happy with Fornals and Haller. But they should be doing more, as always just the bare minimum to paper over the cracks.

I wouldn't want my comments to suggest I don't think our actual signings have been good. They've not just been good, they've been smart and they are a clear evolution, if not revolution, of the type of target we brought in, comparing a time before Pellegrini to the time of MP & MH. Small mercies, maybe, but it's probably more significant than our actual spend.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

As things stand its bordering on cruel expecting Reid to be a 1st team player. I personally think he is finished unfortunately. Likewise Zab who is showing signs of age. There are a couple of others who would struggle to get in sheff in 1st team.
Such a shame. We are literally 3 or 4 players away from Spurs and the like. We have the manager. We have the facilities. What we dont have is the ambition. And this fundamental lacking is not just from the owners. Half the posters on here would rather see someone like Nobes in the team as opposed to Messi. Sentimental fools. Pardon?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Mischievous question.......

How much do people want The Spunk Lords to invest?

Even more mischievous........

Why should they?
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 341 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Croydon »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Mischievous question.......
£40-£50m net, each summer.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Why should they?
Enough to make it seem it was worth moving grounds.
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

Why should they?
£50 million net every summer.

Why? Because it's not their money. It's the club's money. The last time they actually invested money into the club was a couple of years after they bought us.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Pellegrini has historically always spent lots of money. He won't get that option here. Carroll, Arnie and Perez gone and we've replaced them with 1, yes 1 striker. Can't imagine the manager being happy with that.
I can imagine it:
Sullivan:”you’ve got £50m to spend on your strikeforce.”
Pellegrini: “I want to spend it all on the best possible player. If I lose both Perez and Hernández then I want to spend the incoming fee for one backup. Antonio is good enough as a third choice in emergencies.”