The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Colours never run »

OohAahButler wrote: I disagree. Cullen’s not a kid anymore - either he’s good enough to stake his claim or he isn’t. I don’t know the answer to that one, but feel the management either need to give him a squad place this season if they think he’s up to it or sell him on.

It’s past the time for loans for him - make or break time.

Exactly how I feel about him.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

https://foreverwestham.com/2019/08/blog ... ian-ajeti/

https://www.footballinsider247.com/west ... e-forward/

Sounds like we're up to our old 'loan to buy' tricks with Ajeti...the £8 million valuation sounds about right given his age and scoring and assist record, especially when compared with the likes of Hugill...so why do we have to go all skinflint mode all of a sudden. Basel aren't looking to sell so why would they countenance a loan to buy?
Last edited by Irrons on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Irrons wrote:https://foreverwestham.com/2019/08/blog ... ian-ajeti/

https://www.footballinsider247.com/west ... e-forward/

Sounds like we're up to our old 'loan to buy' tricks with Ajeti...the £8 million valuation sounds about right given his age and scoring and assist record, especially when compared with the likes of Hugill...so why do we have to go all skinflint mode all of a sudden
Because he might not work out here a la Zaza, Calleri but could turn out to be as good as Lanzini with minimal risk?
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

One kid who caught my eye in the summer friendlys was Ousmane Diakite.
The young midfielder who play for Altach was realy impressive. Had a bit of Yaya in him.Go for the young ones!
Irrons

Post by Irrons »

Colours never run wrote:Because he might not work out here a la Zaza, Calleri but could turn out to be as good as Lanzini with minimal risk?
Come on David, you know Manuel doesn't like loans
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

The difficulty is Basel are regular European participants and are undoubtedly unwilling to talk about loaning a high scoring striker to ostensibly a mid table English team.

Willy Carvalho springs to mind.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Loan to Buy is a great way to operate...if you can get away with it. If we get him signed in this way, brilliant. There’s no downside for us.

However If our brinkmanship means we miss out on an important signing and don’t have anyone else lined up, then it’s backfired.

Fine lines
Colours never run

Irons

So you would have preferred it if we just ****ed out for both Zaza and Calleri, who could arguably still be sitting on their contracts?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Irrons wrote:https://foreverwestham.com/2019/08/blog ... s-medical/

Cardoso medical completed tonight according to this site and Sam Inkersole...should be announced soon all things going well. What I don't understand is if he's so highly rated why have we got him so cheap and why aren't more clubs after him?

He went on to make 15 appearances for his club during the 2018/19 campaign, during which he picked up five yellow cards and a red card :wink:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

pellegrini's loathing of loans is one of his many great attributes and the one that winds sullivan up the most.
Irrons

Post by Irrons »

Colours never run wrote:Irons

So you would have preferred it if we just ****ed out for both Zaza and Calleri, who could arguably still be sitting on their contracts?
Imho we should never have been in for them - Calleri especially. They weren't first choice picks and were symptomatic of our previous scattergun approach to transfers. The point is if Pellegrini/Husillos want Ajeti we should be looking to buy and structure the deal to reflect the supposed lack of funds, not revert to Sulli's cheap loan-to-buy tactics that will likely just piss Basel off
Last edited by Irrons on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Zaza though was signed on a contingency. Rather than having him for the year, he had 11 games to impress, which put immense pressure on. We did the same with Alex Song the previous year, only I think it was 15 games.

When I think about players who have taken time to fit in, demanding an immediate return is not a great idea. Especially in Zaza’s case where our first three games were a disaster.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ajeti replacing Hernandez would be entirely in keeping with making the squad younger and slashing the payroll. It shouldn't be that hard to make the numbers add up, even with a big subsidy to Hernandez' wages.

I'm reasonably sure that we scouted the PSV-Basel Europa League game.

£7m a year on wages for a sub like Hernandez is really odd for a club like ours.
Colours never run

Irrons wrote:
Imho we should never have been in for them -
And Lanzini who wasn't impressing much in the Arab League? Or is that wildly different?

You could say, well he was doing alright for River Plate prior to there, but then I could point to Calleri doing well for Boca Juniors and Zaza at either Juve and Sassuolo in Serie A.

I'm not overly keen on using it all the time, but as a one-off signing in a window, I don't have any issue with it, as it could just unearth another gem like Lanzini amd at the worst case scenario it doesn't work out, then we can happily send them packing again like we did with Zaza and Calleri.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Regarding Cahill, I think I would be happier knowing he could come in for either Diop or Balbuena rather than Ogbonna, whose deficiencies show no sign of improvement imo. I can't imagine either that we will see much of Reid ever again. Ridiculous that he still has four years left on his contract.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Cahill played three league games last season. Three.
Irrons

Post by Irrons »

Colours never run wrote:And Lanzini who wasn't impressing much in the Arab League? Or is that wildly different?
In all those cases a loan suited both parties I think - in this case Ajeti is a first team regular and valued member of their squad who they aren't looking to sell and especially not loan. If we *could* get him on that sort of arrangement then great, but it sounds unrealistic and smacks of Sullivan trying it on with a low-ball approach first rather than backing his manager with the required funds. We've seen how our low-balling tactics can backfire and it has lead to acrimony with various failed deals in the past, e.g. Carvalho and Dendoncker.
Last edited by Irrons on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

Would anyone have objected to us taking on Tielemans as a loan to buy?

Ostensibly it’s down to quality. If the quality is there, but there’s a little bit of uncertainty then a loan to buy would be a good thing. Hernandez seemingly isn’t going anywhere, but he almost definitely will this time next year. We may well have his permanent replacement who has already spent a year settling in and getting used to the league and the club - finding his replacement without any risk. We can then concentrate our efforts on getting a third striker.

The other possibility, whether we like it or not (and this a huge amount of speculation), is that Haller tears the league to shreds and in comes a big team with a big money offer next summer that we probably can’t refuse. We could end up with no strikers, so this loan to buy offer for Ajeti isn’t as silly as it seems.
Last edited by Derby Hammer on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

My_Sobriquet wrote:Net spend is immaterial,

The Portuguese kid looks very talented but I still think we need another CM.
Wonder if he can play DM looks very mobile and energetic :twisted:
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I don’t mind loan signings personally - do much prefer ones with an option though.

Bakayoko with an option would be decent as mentioned by a few posters pages ago. However, I get the impression that our priority is centre back and then striker though if the opportunity arises.

Ajeti’s youtube looks very good. I know they usually are edited to do just that but what’s impressive is the breadth of finishes. Headers, tap-in’s, one-on-one’s, getting ahead of defenders for low crosses, strength to turn and shoot and, the best imo, a couple of little dink’s over the keeper. Can see why we’d be interested.