The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

That site that shan't be mentioned say that Cardoso has passed his medical .
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1194 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Transfer News -

Ex Employee says Albian Ajeti [ he's not a Real Yeti ] wants to join West Ham .
He probably read that on here :asleep:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

F-ing hell, is hammerman11 really suggesting selling Hernandez for £5m?!? In this market?
LeonRivers wrote:With the attacking potency we have now, someone that can win the ball and make a 5yd sideways pass to one of the attacking players would be fine.
Is that not just Rice, though?

Finding a professional, high level back up to a 20 year old is so difficult. And I really don't think we can play two players who basically do the same things in the same team.

Honestly, I prefer the Rongier link for that reason, and is why I wanted Savanier earlier in the window - they can turn defence into attack with one pass. By the time our defensive midfielder has made that 5 yard pass, the receiver controlled it and looked up, the opposition are back and ready to defend. We need quicker transitions from midfield to attack, and I don't think our deep lying players have that. It's why I've been keen to play Lanzini back there in the past, and why I think Fornals could play there for us - they have more incisive forward passing than Rice, and would be essentially doing exactly what Noble did at his peak from 2010-2016, ****ing the ball out to the flanks immediately after winning it back.

Pellegrini seems to think Wilshere is that player, currently, based on the pre-season games.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

At the end of the transfer window... Is the collective playing staff stronger than it was previously...

If it is... Good job
If it isn't...Bad job

The amount of money spent/received/trousered doesn't matter to me, I'm a football fan not an accountant.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We all know the move has not enabled us to spend much, if any, more than we could have if we stayed where we were

Many of us knew that would be the case before we moved, and the only reason we moved was because the owners wanted a big, shiny stadium for free - and for that we should be permanently angered

However, in my personal opinion, [and of course the Mods have the final say], it would be good if the transfer thread was focused on actual transfer news rather than every second post being about the owners/ net spend/ comparisons to other clubs etc.

I remember towards the end of Bilic's reign, any mention of him on the match threads was deleted for being off topic [even if it was talking about his tactics in that game], so surely all the stuff about Net spend is off topic on this thread [or can be discussed in the thread about the owners]

This is in no way a defence of the owners, just my opinion for helping make this particular thread more enjoyable/ easy to digest
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

If we're apparently struggling to meet Basel's demands for Ajeti how on earth are we going to afford Ascacibar? Having had a quick google, there have been one or two speculative articles linking Ascacibar with West Ham in the past but nothing whatsoever is being reported at the moment. It's either flying very low under the radar or just more forum speculation. Let's hope for the former as I like the cut of his jib
Last edited by Irrons on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

YorksHammer wrote:
I get that that's a little dig at Cresswell, and I'm not his biggest fan by some margin (although he's perfectly serviceable as a deputy) - but that's putting a lot of faith in Cardoso while leaving out a player that Pellegrini sees fit to make captain on occasion.
I have more faith in Johnson at LB than Cresswell at the moment. If he plays on Saturday, it's going to take a gargantuan effort for me not to shout obscenities at him from row 10. I'm getting as bad as Jaybs.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

-- Haller --

Anderson --------------------- Yarma/Antonio

Ascacibar -- Lanzini/Wilshere -- Rice

Looks good to me.

edit: Well, I dont know how to do the formation thing, but you get the point :lol:
Last edited by Croydon on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Would love a bit of Ascacibar. Only downside being that at 5.7 we would be proper ****ed at set plays with our team of midgets :lol:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Croydon wrote:-- Haller --

Anderson --------------------- Yarma/Antonio

Ascacibar -- Lanzini/Wilshere -- Rice

Looks good to me.

No Fornals....
Last edited by Patito on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Pulls up Trees wrote:
I have more faith in Johnson at LB than Cresswell at the moment. If he plays on Saturday, it's going to take a gargantuan effort for me not to shout obscenities at him from row 10. I'm getting as bad as Jaybs.
If i was one of our defenders, I would probably prefer not to play on Saturday!
Whoever plays is going to look a bit rubbish IMHO, especially the fullbacks. A bit of a no-win situation for them...
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Will Cardoso count as homegrown by the time he's 22?
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Patito wrote:
No Fornals....
Completely forgot about him :oops:

To be honest, I still don't know which position he will play.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Would an increased net spend help to improve the team further - unless you doubt the scouting ability of Pellegrini and Husillos it would.

Would a lower net spend benefit the owners - yes it does

Swissramble produces objective analysis.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hammerman11 wrote:Cardoso, Ajeti & Ascascibar get those 3 in and we are happy.
although for them all to arrive one must be going.
We wouldn't have been able to go for these had we remained at the Boleyn. :idea:
Mad Professor
Has liked: 277 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

Cardoso, Ajeti and Ascascibar all appear to be good possible signings. To get all three would nevertheless require some beyond budget spending. Up front spending - at least on the usual staged payment schedule- would probably get all three. Money that is there but our cagey owners would need to be persuaded that they should spend it. In my opinion - and its not my money - all three have significant sell on value and it could be wise to take the plunge!.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Croydon wrote:
Completely forgot about him :oops:

To be honest, I still don't know which position he will play.
Left back perhaps? :D
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Mad Professor wrote:Cardoso, Ajeti and Ascascibar all appear to be good possible signings. To get all three would nevertheless require some beyond budget spending. Up front spending - at least on the usual staged payment schedule- would probably get all three. Money that is there but our cagey owners would need to be persuaded that they should spend it. In my opinion - and its not my money - all three have significant sell on value and it could be wise to take the plunge!.
Or maybe it was just b*llocks to keep prices down?
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I find it odd that Spurs are used as ‘shining’ example of how it done. Having one of the worlds richest men (Lewis £6b+) helps, but they have had their fair share of duds (Sissoko, Janssen, Llorente, Soldado, N’Jie etc.) from the transfer market despite having the advantage of £+++ from the sale of Modric and Bale. And what have they won? The best thing Spurs did was get Pochettino.

The big blow to Sullivan’s strategy was not getting Benitez, which I think has set us back 3-4 years until the arrival of Pellegrini. We needed someone of their maturity and stature to diminish Sullivan’s ‘project’ influence and manage the football side of things better. My view? Gros spend, net spend, total spend is all a nonsense. Quality, that fits in with your designed style of play (however long it takes) is everything.

Swiss Rambles analysis, although very good, focuses on £’s rather than quality of signing. What it says to me is, if you have a multi billionaire at the helm then provided you chuck enough money at it you will eventually get the quality and win stuff. Hardly insightful.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Julien Snow Bear wrote:The net spend argument is so tedious though. If we get Cardoso across the line then in the past 12 months we'll have signed 2 highly rated young CBs and an experienced international that many consider to be the key to our defence for ~£30M.

Brighton spent £22M on some lad from Bristol City, Leicester are apparently about to drop £35M+ on Lewis Dunk.

Who has done the better business? Who has the lower net spent? Who would you rather have?

:asleep:
This seems to be a common thing for fans to point to when it comes to net spend ... but I can tell you it’s not about outspending other clubs for the sake of it.

Fornals and Haller look to be a couple of top signings and kudos to everyone involved in getting them in on what seems to be good value for the way the transfer market is going these days.

I could quite happily accept a net spend of £20m if we weren’t really weak in some areas but we are and the only way to improve in those areas is to do your scouting and spend your £££

So whilst you may not be concerned with why we don’t have any money left after not spending much there are a lot of fans who want to know why is that not perfectly reasonable?

The fact our owners and David Sullivan and David Gold make it all the more questionable