The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by ironilunga »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:If we let Hernandez go we are left with two strikers who have zero experience of playing in England, and are still relatively unproven.
Which of Ajeti or Hernandez do you think makes the bench, or is it both?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Anyone else worried that Crystal Palace may make a late move for Antonio if the Zaha to Everton deal goes through - would make us very weak if anything were to happen to Haller ?

Not a bit worried. We'd laugh them out the office after stringing them along till 5pm with any luck. Palace have had a shocking window negotiating. Who have they bought to date?
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Anyone else worried that Crystal Palace may make a late move for Antonio if the Zaha to Everton deal goes through - would make us very weak if anything were to happen to Haller ?
No, I’m not worried. If Palace want him and put an offer in, it doesn’t mean we need to sell. Is Antonio going to kick up because another team puts an offer in and we turn them down...? I doubt it. I’m not sure he’s that type and I think he genuinely likes playing for us, even if he is back up. He’ll be one of our first options off the bench if we need to change things to make an attacking impact.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Newcastle being linked with Andy Carroll according to local reports!
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Voronin wrote:Imagine if we could:
- Sell Ogbonna
-Loan a domestic CB (Smalling)
- Buy Ascacibar
-Release Xande

That would give us a top 7 squad. We’re so close!
Nope, not seeing that in any way shape or form.
Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer »

Voronin wrote:Imagine if we could:
- Sell Ogbonna
-Loan a domestic CB (Smalling)
- Buy Ascacibar
-Release Xande

That would give us a top 7 squad. We’re so close!
Why release Xande? It doesn’t make us stronger and he’s still very much one for the future. When he returns from his illness he’ll need a slow start and the U23s will be perfect for that.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

Im not fussed over Antonio hes not a striker for me. If Haller gets injured we still have Ajeti and may still have Hernandez.
I think spurs will go for Zaha since Dybala turned them down. they've been interested in him for awhile.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

snooperpooper wrote:Various press saying Spuds will let Wanyama leave today on a loan
For a good reason. A crock with an attitude.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Made me laugh yesterday watching a podcast with Wetpants talking smugly that Cullen wasn't going anywhere and Diangana was seen by management as someone close to the first 11 ... he really is an arse.

Cullen isn't seen as good enough and was always going back on loan - Pelle doesn't have to name a 25 if he doesn't want to ... and if he does he can include Martin in that list if je wants to top the numbers up.

Diangana has happened late but think he needs full first team football every week and he will get that in decent West Brom side.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Thing is though, Palace can bid and we can reject is, as can he. Antonio is popular with Pelly, so I expect him to stay.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

pezza20 wrote:Diangana has happened late but think he needs full first team football every week and he will get that in decent West Brom side.
Only pity for me is that he did not go to a lower half prem side like Norwich. Would tell us much more about his potential to become a first teamer for us.
Last edited by ironilunga on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

Het-Field wrote:
Thing is though, Palace can bid and we can reject is, as can he. Antonio is popular with Pelly, so I expect him to stay.
agreed. + Palace aren't a very attractive proposition imo, if they lose Zaha they are in the brown stuff this season.
Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer »

pezza20 wrote:Diangana has happened late but think he needs full first team football every week and he will get that in decent West Brom side.
I think he can tear the Championship apart. Ridiculously direct, can put the ball in the back of the net. From the wing he could be one of the top scorers.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

jonbentleywhu wrote: agreed. + Palace aren't a very attractive proposition imo, if they lose Zaha they are in the brown stuff this season.
To me, Palace have become the quintessence of staying in the PL. They spent big when they needed to step up, it didn’t work, they moved Pardew on, gave plenty of dosh to Sam to save the club, which he did. After De Boer they brought in a sensible manager, given him relatively modest budget, and ensured their players were protected. The system has worked so far, but that is with AWB and Zaha as key components. If they both leave, and injuries hit players like Milivojevic they will require some deep digging to keep them safe.

I wouldn’t fancy them for the drop, but it’s not far from a stiff breeze changing that.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Only pity for me is that he did not go to a lower half prem side like Norwich. Would tell us much more about his potential to become a first teamer for us.[/quote]

That's what i thought...he would have been better off playing in the Premier League against the top sides to gain more experience....however, when i thought more about it, if Norwich were getting stuffed and they had a fight on their hands, would that put more pressure on him and make him less confident or would a high flying WBA team, going for promotion, with confidence up as they win game after game, be better for him and with a manager that knows him?
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Derby Hammer wrote:
Why release Xande? It doesn’t make us stronger and he’s still very much one for the future. When he returns from his illness he’ll need a slow start and the U23s will be perfect for that.
We need to release two non-honegrown if we sign Ascacibar.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Voronin wrote: We need to release two non-honegrown if we sign Ascacibar.
We don't have to release him. We can keep him and not name him in the squad which just means he can't play for the first team until Jan.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

ironilunga wrote:
Which of Ajeti or Hernandez do you think makes the bench, or is it both?
I suspect Hernandez will be first option on the bench, with Ajeti on it more often than not

I don't agree with this theory that we have one fixed first eleven that will play every game. I believe there will be ample opportunities for all three players
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Releasing Diangana on loan means he needs to go to a level/team where he would play the majority of games. Another Premier side and he is likely not in a lot better spot than if he stayed, good Championship side then he is far more likely to play and we hope make an impact the way Mount did last season. Diangana is one I think can push on at the top level, at least a very good squad player but possibly more, a season of Championship football might show whether this is true.

Same for Cullen, he plays in a far more difficult position to make an impact and where mistakes are magnified, I doubt he has it but Championship will be a far better test for him.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Voronin wrote:
We need to release two non-honegrown if we sign Ascacibar.
Do we though?

We would simply not include Silva in the 25...hes injured anyway