The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by S-H »

And people thought our media team were bad... this effort from Palace, was so bad that they deleted soon after posting..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by S-H on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

e17 wrote:I’d be happy with finishing 12th if we won a cup and played good football along the way.
I’d be happy with relegation if we won a cup
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Is Rice not good enough now?

He will play 35+ games in the league this season, if we want two DMs then we've got the wrong manager.

A back up to Haller for cohesion purposes was much more important. Far more likely that Ajeti gets games than a Rice alternative.

Snodgrass has also shown he is capable in that harrying position.

Rice/Sanchez Noble/Wilshere
Fornals/Snodgrass

Another DM wouldnt have fit in. We also couldn't have signed one without selling another player.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

S-H wrote:Any people thought our media team were bad... this effort from Palace, was so bad that they deleted soon after posting..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They really have scraped the barrel if that **** house is regarded as one of their best summer signings this window. :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

thejackhammer wrote:Is Rice not good enough now?

He will play 35+ games in the league this season, if we want two DMs then we've got the wrong manager.

A back up to Haller for cohesion purposes was much more important. Far more likely that Ajeti gets games than a Rice alternative.

Snodgrass has also shown he is capable in that harrying position.

Rice/Sanchez Noble/Wilshere
Fornals/Snodgrass

Another DM wouldnt have fit in. We also couldn't have signed one without selling another player.
Exactly that. I reckon Pellegrini has sided more with the idea of sticking predominantly with a 433 this season, as 2 rigid DMs seems like overkill that doesn't really suit this Squad set up. Rice will only grow more and more into the DM role and make it his own.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

8th is probably the very best I can see at the moment, a place higher or maybe up to 3 perhaps even 4 lower, depending upon luck or on how others around us perform and/or improve. Only IF most of the new comers work out better than reasonably expected from the off and/or we somehow seriously sort the defensive problems of years past (whatever their cause) and perhaps VAR is more sympathetic to us than generations of officials have been, do I feel we could seriously improve on that best hope. In all honesty it's difficult to judge as things stand, too many unknowns. After 5 games or so we 'may' know more.
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

I would have loved to get Santiago Ascacíbar as a 2nd DM.

Pellegrini has clearly targeted that area e.g Dendoncker and Carvalho.

For that reason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardoso get time as a DM (and even LB) before he gets a shot at CB.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Assuming no sales now to the still open leagues.

I do not believe any of our competitors for 7th have had a significantly better window if at all, Everton look like us, great going forward but light at the back maybe even more so than us. Wolves have strengthened but enough for Europe as well? Leicester lost Maguire, Ok some do not rate him, but for me them losing him is worse for them than had we lost Diop. Watford better but I think we have strengthened more.

We should be in that mix. I still believe it will be very difficult to break top 6 unless one of those clubs underperforms or has an injury crisis.

For me MP wants to give Arthur, Fredericks and, to a degree, Johnson a chance to nail the first choice FB slots (Ok more faith in Arthur especially than me but he is the professional) - in which case next summer are younger quality back ups, if not then spend for the first choice.

Midfield will be the major buy next summer, Noble getting no younger, Sanchez out so one top quality to put pressure on Wilshere if fit, replace him when not (likely our highest spend) plus another back up or two real quality with back up if we lose Rice.

Assuming we still resist offers for the likes of Diop and the others we would want to keep (ideally Rice as well) of course.

If it happens that will be a totally transformed team/squad over 3 years in a sensible fashion.

It is evolution not revolution and is how the best have always worked, just strange for us but we seem to be doing it now albeit accepted at our level not Man City etc.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Irrons wrote:Drinkwater goes to Burnley

If I wanna Drinkwater I’ll have the fuc*ing best!
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

hammersk wrote:I would have loved to get Santiago Ascacíbar as a 2nd DM.

For that reason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardoso get time as a DM (and even LB) before he gets a shot at CB.
Both Carvalho and Dendonker were Billic potential signings in summer 2017 so pre Pellers
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

hammersk wrote:I would have loved to get Santiago Ascacíbar as a 2nd DM.

Both Carvalho and Dendonker were Billic potential signings in summer 2017 so pre Pellers
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Irrons wrote:Drinkwater goes to Burnley

Good riddance. If I wanna Drinkwater I’ll have the fuc*ing best!
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

hammersk wrote:For that reason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardoso get time as a DM (and even LB) before he gets a shot at CB.
Cardoso means Rice in Portuguese. Fact.

(Don't Google it or ask anyone who speaks a word of Portuguese)

I have high hopes for him in that Declan Rice vein though (not positionally, but skill and maturity). Built upon nothing but sheer West Ham optimism.
Alexander the Greatest
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Alexander the Greatest »

Hayden wrote:
Cardoso means Rice in Portuguese. Fact.

(Don't Google it or ask anyone who speaks a word of Portuguese)

I have high hopes for him in that Declan Rice vein though (not positionally, but skill and maturity). Built upon nothing but sheer West Ham optimism.
It means a place where there are a lot of artichoke like vegetables (apparently)!
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Hayden wrote:Cardoso means Rice in Portuguese.
I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ but Cardoso actually means a place abundant in artichokes (or cardoon as they are known in Lisbon).

As a keen linguist I looked at meanings of other players names both past and present.

Arnautovic for example translates in old English to ‘pus ridden tub of scrotal turncoat feculance’
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Not sure where the Cardoso playing in midfield came from - May be a good shout. I’d personally prefer him to be so good at left back that he becomes our first choice left back. If we have three solid defenders - that can shift sideways a la Tomkins in the Payet season - as well as Rice dropping in then that may make us defensively solid enough to allow a deep playmaker in midfield alongside Rice.

I still think left back is the weakest position in our squad and is routinely targeted - if we solve that then the pressure on centre mid becomes less.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

I've accepted the manager wants wingers at Fullback and will just let it go and enjoy the ride!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

MB wrote:I've accepted the manager wants wingers at Fullback and will just let it go and enjoy the ride!
Right on!!
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

. After 5 games or so we 'may' know more.[/quote]

Well I would seriously hope it's a better points haul than last season! (3)
the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

I'll reserve judgement on whether this has been a good window until halfway though the season. being totally honest, apart from the two goalies id never heard of any of the other 4 players signed, so I can hardly judge until I've seen them put in a fair few performances. They may be amazing, they may turn out gash.
It doesn't worry me if our Net spend is relatively low, as long as the manager has made all decisions on the squad, what he wants, and actually got in and out what he wanted.
It does worry me though that we were told before the window started that that is all we have. I've still not heard a single reason as to genuinely explain how that is all we have for a club that has released so much in wages, has a bargain of the century rental terms that has caused political meltdown and would of had that net spend available at the Boleyn. And please don't keep quoting last summers spend as that was just playing catch up with not spending before an included Dimi's money.