The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Th pellers tam have only really opened the kimono to show we want maxi probably because it was about convincing him and his representatives about coming to west ham.

They havent told us about any of the the other irons they have in the fire.

Thats why the landscape looks so bleak now that maxi is a no-go-mez

Not Panicing.....yet
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

dodger wrote: I too don’t mind Hernandez sticking around as back-up, but if he’s our main striker we’re in for a below-par season.
This is probably true, but equally if that situation arises the likelihood is that we will have improved other areas that we otherwise wouldn't have.
Last edited by Aceface on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 648 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Yesterday was a disaster, and we’re going to get relegated.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3224 likes
Total likes: 2621 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

The Green Man wrote: He's gone mate, like a fit bird you know you had a chance with if you'd got in early but left it too late and now she's with a new Spanish lad.
But, but, if I just show him how much he means to me, maybe he'll see through the Spanish lads pedigree and European ambitions and come back home to East London to meet my mum. *Writes wordy and emotional text message and sends it to Uruguay and huge personal cost*.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Patito wrote: ExWHUemployee

Hernandez has been told he will have a key role at the club this year as Pellegrini doesn’t want a complete overhaul of forwards and also thinks that Hernandez is a top forward with the right service. (Be interesting if a top offer comes in for him what we do though)
Interesting how that is presented in identical fashion to so many previous polishing of a turd sort of releases we have heard over the years before Pellers came to the club. My mouth buttoning worries seem to be coming a little clearer only a matter of minutes after I expressed them. I am deeply concerned as to what is to now follow. I am hoping it isn't some sort of historically predictable 'once clubs knew we were flush once we were forced to sell Arnie in such terrible 'unexpected' circumstances it became impossible to negotiate a sensible deal and thus thought it better to give a chance to a player of proven international quality blah blah blah' press release. Meanwhile 20+ mill goes into the bank and a few cheapies come in. We shall see.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Aceface wrote:
This is probably true, but equally if that situation arises the likelihood is that we will have improved other areas that we otherwise wouldn't have.
The other areas that clearly need improvement are full back and central midfield, two areas we’ve seen no sign of movement in from the club.

So far this summer we’ve got in a very good player in Fornals, but in a position we were already strong in. We’ve lost our best striker plus two back-up strikers, with no replacements. We’ve lost our good back-up keeper and brought in two cheap ones.

Overall, we’re weaker now than at the end of last season. We have one month to rectify that.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Sloffy wrote:could Hernandez, a natural goalscorer, fill the void of the Arnie / Gomez sized hole we got?
Rondon would be an ideal strike partner for him. Suspect he’d thrive in that pairing.
Patito

Post by Patito »

e-20 : No need to keep quiet about worries/reservations you have, I'm sure you won't be alone. Always welcome to discuss even if it's the opposite to what others think :thup:
Phil Parkes' Gloves
Has liked: 1148 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Phil Parkes' Gloves »

Money's gone, fellas. I can't see any other reason for giving Hernandez the No9 shirt.

Surely, if we were signing a big name striker, the no9 shirt would beheld back for them. Likewise No7. Call me an old cynic (you'd be right), but this suggets to me that we're not signing a top class forward.

Rondon, Gomez, Haller and Belotti all wore No9 last season. Marega wears it for Mali. If we had any hope or intention of signing any of these we'd have reserved the shirt for them.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

ExWHUemployee

Hernandez has been told he will have a key role at the club this year as Pellegrini doesn’t want a complete overhaul of forwards and also thinks that Hernandez is a top forward with the right service.
He's completely made that up after hearing the number 9 story at the same time as the rest of us.

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

dodger wrote:Absolutely. How quickly some forget how ineffective he was for the majority of his appearances last season.

People (rightly) slag off Arnie for his attitude, but even with a poor attitude he was more of a threat than Hernandez last season.

I too don’t mind Hernandez sticking around as back-up, but if he’s our main striker we’re in for a below-par season.
I agree with this...

We'd need to invest in a second choice irrespective of who our first choice is. It could be we have made the decision of keeping Hernandez over investing in a Rondon type player who isn't seen as the long term first choice for the position. At least it isn't another player who represents risk and we generally know what we'd be getting with Hernandez and he is fully integrated into the squad.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Morning all.

HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Has it been rumoured anywhere how much Frankfurt want for Haller?

Did a bit of digging on him this morning and he looks a hell of a player

Good news about Chicha too, Huddersfield at home is a prime example of why we need him in the squad he’s a premium finisher

Him and a player like Haller who puts himself about and assists well would be mouth watering
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

dodger wrote:So far this summer we’ve got in a very good player in Fornals, but in a position we were already strong in.
Not so sure I'd say that. We have a few workhorses, but in terms of central creative players we have Wilshere - a player who's yet to prove he's capable of playing more than a fraction of a season, and Lanzini who (imo) is quite average and not really all that creative - aswell as having a not great injury record. The chances of both being injured at any one time next season are probably quite high.

I personally thought we lacked creativity in many games last season and seem to remember a few games where we even struggled to register a single shot on target.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Sloffy wrote:Glass half full

I think with our array of attacking midfielders and wide men, could Hernandez, a natural goalscorer, fill the void of the Arnie / Gomez sized hole we got?

(Still need more options)

Depends on Pellers and his tactics....in the main, we have seen that he likes a player to hold the ball up, to bring the wingers into play and for Lanzini/Noble to play off.

However, when Nasri played, there was more high press play, with some neat, quick, short passing, with Lanzini, Anderson and Arnie, getting closer together and running into space...an interesting, short insight on a change of tactics...

With Fornals and the potential of Wilshere (along with Lanzini), we have some very skillful passing players, which with the speed of Anderson/Antonio/Yarmo on the wings and Chica through the middle, the tactics then change a lot...

I would keep Chica as a Plan B and depending on the opposition, where we can attack more....but against the bigger teams and where we need an outlet to relieve the pressure, then a holding forward player would be needed.

So i think Plan A is to get a holding, but mobile forward and that is the main target for Pellers in this window...Gomez would have been perfect, but the club is more important than any player and if his heart wasnt in it or it was a bad deal, then we move on...

Get a Gomez type player in as our main marque signing....and when we have weared out the opposition, get Chica on to run them into the ground...

I trust Pellers has other options....in the main, his transfers have been spot on and made us a lot stronger.

Will be an interesting month...
Patito

Post by Patito »

WestHamIFC wrote:
Rondon would be an ideal strike partner for him. Suspect he’d thrive in that pairing.
If Rondon helped Ayoze Perez to reach 12 goals....
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3224 likes
Total likes: 2621 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: He's completely made that up after hearing the number 9 story at the same time as the rest of us.
Couldn't agree more.

I think from all the training videos etc it looked fairly clear we wanted to keep Chica at the club. As a back-up, there really aren't many better than him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

HammerPDC wrote:Has it been rumoured anywhere how much Frankfurt want for Haller?
The numbers that seem to get mentioned are £40-50million. People do suggest though that Frankfurt are unlikely to want to sell him in the same window as Jovic (gone to Real Madrid). I think they're in the Champions League too.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I personally thought we lacked creativity in many games last season and seem to remember a few games where we even struggled to register a single shot on target.
Totally agree... Lot a games we struggled to move the ball up the pitch... there's only really Anderson and Masuaku who can travel with the ball otherwise it's down to Noble long balls.

By the sounds of it Fornals has a bit of everything so having that extra energy, pace and ability on the ball in a central area is essential and one of the reasons we looked very pedestrian at times last year.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

dodger wrote: So we might as well not comment? For all we know, the board conducted exemplary negotiations on behalf of the manager and didn’t put a foot wrong.

Except, all we have to go on are the reports we receive on the situation. It’s up to us to look at them all and decipher roughly what the truth is.

If you don’t like people commenting on the situation why are you posting in the transfer thread? This thread is never going to be a place where people say ‘we shouldn’t take educated guesses as to what’s going on as we ourselves are not present at these meetings’.
Of course not, that's not what I said. Its opinions presented as fact that wind me up.

"I can't believe we put all our eggs in one basket!" or "Why on earth did we offer them 7 installments of £7M!"

as opposed to

"I hope we have a back-up plan if Gomez has fallen through" or "It's concerning if we were not able to agree a payment structure after so much negotiation..."