The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

ironilunga wrote:
Only pity for me is that he did not go to a lower half prem side like Norwich. Would tell us much more about his potential to become a first teamer for us.
He wouldn't get in the Norwich side week in week out though
I think he will struggle to get in the West Brom side every game as it is
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

ironilunga wrote:Only pity for me is that he did not go to a lower half prem side like Norwich. Would tell us much more about his potential to become a first teamer for us.
With us he'd be unlikely to make the bench. At Norwich I think he'd probably be a sub.

WBA are one of the top Championship sides and I think he may well start there. That's probably preferable - regular football in a promotion chase rather than occasional football in a relegation battle.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Monkey Mike wrote:Newcastle being linked with Andy Carroll according to local reports!

Haven't the Geordies suffered enough?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I'll be shocked if we bring in anyone else today. I reckon we are done for the window in terms of players coming in.

Players going out on the other hand......
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

paulhs1 wrote:
Do we though?

We would simply not include Silva in the 25...hes injured anyway

True. My point was we can’t include him.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Do you care?

I don't.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

funky chicken wrote:I'll be shocked if we bring in anyone else today. I reckon we are done for the window in terms of players coming in.

Players going out on the other hand......
Id be amazed if Palace havnt tried to sound out Antonio or make a silly offer today.

Saying that it's one of the positions that we've got enough players for (Yarmolenko, Snodgrass, Lanzin, Anderson).
Last edited by paulhs1 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

You can have as many foreign players as you like at the club only 17 in the squad though. I think it is safe to say Xande will not feature before January at the earliest given the illness. Lot of sense therefore in keeping Hernandez at least until then, indeed if Hernandez sees out his contract with Xande still outside the squad probably not cost more than about £750k as I doubt he earns more than about £30k a week. In addition he is not so high profile as to be seen as a snub etc as not in the squad previously.

Another foreign signing means sidelining a player who has been in the squad, if Reid is struggling again this might not be as big an issue as we would be paying him anyway but anyone else means really adding £2.5m plus to the purchase price as there is no guarantee we will move them on or if we do without incurring that sort of cost.
artlin

Post by artlin »

We have had an excellent window.

6 signing all done quietly and professionally.

Key positions filled. (Don't start about full backs!!).

2 star performers in Fornals and Haller.

Wage bill down.

I wish Adrian good luck at Liverpool, he deserves that place.

We will still struggle against Citeh and Bin Dippers BUT .... we should be able to turn some of last years draws into wins, last years loses into draws and keep a winning lead up to the 90th minute.

Great manager and coaching staff. U23s and academy look sound.

Full of confidence going into game 1.

:scarfer: COYRRGSI
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

That's what i thought...he would have been better off playing in the Premier League against the top sides to gain more experience....however, when i thought more about it, if Norwich were getting stuffed and they had a fight on their hands, would that put more pressure on him and make him less confident or would a high flying WBA team, going for promotion, with confidence up as they win game after game, be better for him and with a manager that knows him?
I disagree mate

The championship is a tough physical league with loads of games and very good class of opposition, its not the second tier of the German or Italian leagues that are rank.

He will get more game time, very few prem clubs would have signed him and played him every week, look at Quina at Watford as an example.

Good move for Diang and he will come back better for it.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

My take on Diangana is that he needs to put on a bit more muscle and not get knocked off the ball so easily.

I think a season in the Champs will toughen him up and add some much needed strength to his already substantial technical ability.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Technically Diangana is a top player. I love the way the fella glides across the pitch. He is a great reader of the game and is mature for hes age
A season in the championship may do him some good
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Carroll's having a medical at Newcastle....what could go wrong 8-)
The Green Man
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Think I posted this before but I would imagine we've written into the deal that Diangana plays every week or a minimum amount of appearances. Otherwise I think we should have had him in and around the squad. I honestly think with a bit more finishing practice he's going to be a top, top player.
fjthegrey
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'm confident Diangana won't cut it at the top level. The same prediction I make for all our youth team products and one that will blindly return an accuracy of about 98%. The sooner he gets experience at a level he could forge a legitimate career, the better for him.

Although you could see Rice was something different about 15 minutes into pre-season last year.
asters89
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

ironilunga wrote: Only pity for me is that he did not go to a lower half prem side like Norwich. Would tell us much more about his potential to become a first teamer for us.
I think it's the right choice about this. I don't know much about what Norwich's philosophy will be this year but I have to think that as an attacking player he will develop more playing more regularly in a team that will expect to be on the front foot rather than one with an eye on consolidating into the premier league.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

fjthegrey wrote:I'm confident Diangana won't cut it at the top level. The same prediction I make for all our youth team products and one that will blindly return an accuracy of about 98%. The sooner he gets experience at a level he could forge a legitimate career, the better for him.

Although you could see Rice was something different about 15 minutes into pre-season last year.
This type of loan will help determine that. You could see with players like Defoe, Lampard, Rio, etc. that they were all playing way below themselves when they went out. Others like Makasi or Martinez showed they weren't good enough for the Prem. Then you've got the awkward ones like Cullen who ripped up L1 with Bradford but then failed to do anything with Bolton in the Champ. Be interesting to see how he does back there this season (although looks like he's done with us either way!).

If Diangana is to succeed with us, he needs to be a real top player in that division.
hoptony

Post by hoptony »

Just seen a clip on Sky Sports of Ajeti training for the first time with the hammers, also in the clip was Winston Reid. didn't look crooked or about to retire like many are suggesting
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1523 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

fjthegrey wrote:I'm confident Diangana won't cut it at the top level. The same prediction I make for all our youth team products and one that will blindly return an accuracy of about 98%. The sooner he gets experience at a level he could forge a legitimate career, the better for him.

Looking at the problems we're having with the 'homegrown' quote this year, I think it's really important that we can try and nurture players like Diangana. If he doesn't ever become a starter, it would be great to have him in and around the side. I would love to have Stanislas and Tomkins still at the club, even if they were only starting 15 games a year (if they were willing), so hopefully we can continue to bring these players though.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Croydon wrote:My take on Diangana is that he needs to put on a bit more muscle and not get knocked off the ball so easily.

I think a season in the Champs will toughen him up and add some much needed strength to his already substantial technical ability.

Its not so much muscle he desperately needs (that'll come) as Sterling proves of a similar player. It's composure in front of goal he lacks at the minute, seemingly trying too hard. A season in the championship should hopefully give him the time and less pressure to find the back of the net. Tactically he needs to brush up a little too.