The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Sloop John B »

Turns to Stone wrote:Transfer Window Thread Bingo:

Someone getting Maxi Lopez and Maxi Gomez confused -
I think this happened the other day...But maybe not in this thread... So frash game n all that...

I'd add in....

Sly rascist comments about the age of an African player

"Next Level?? FFS *angry*" reaction to an underwhelming player link

"Just Get it Done"
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: I think Carlos Sanchez will prove to be a very important squad player this season
Hope you're right... I've tried watching him closely when he plays and, though he's always fairly close to the action, he never really takes part in it much. He just follows it around.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Marzipan
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

"How have ___________ signed him?"
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Saints will make Danny Ings’ loan signing from Liverpool permanent this summer for an £18 million fee
:lol: Madness, if true.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Sadly don´t see to many DM:s, with box to box qualities, being linked.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Burnley Hammer wrote:The justification is simply that Medel is better than Sanchez (imo). I'd go as far as saying much better.
..and that is the crux of it. I don’t give a f*** how old a player is. I don’t give a f*** how long he will stay with us for. I don’t give a f*** if he’s free. I don’t give a f*** if he can’t run fast. If he enables West Ham to gain more points next season then he is a worthwhile signing. It is literally the only thing that matters.

I don’t understand these idiotic conditions that so many fans have become obsessed with:
“He’s too old”. What, so you’d rather have Toni Martinez in the XI than sign Cristiano Ronaldo?
“He’s too slow”. What, so we should give Usain Bolt the swan song to his career he’d love to f*** off Noble?
“He’s a free transfer. It’s just another Sully Special”. What, so you’d rather we’d signed £30m Pickford than Fabianski. Where would that have left our Anderson pursuit?

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone can follow football for so long and still not grasp the basic concept of signing a player who is better than someone currently in the squad purely for the benefit of an increased points tally come the end of the coming season.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Hamburger wrote:14 players over 30 in our first team, how on earth can we ever expect to build a decent team when we keep buying old lags & crocks. It chokes me to say it but Spuds have not bought a player over 26 in 3 years, except for Llorente who was a back up, and have the lowest player turnover in the Prem.
Yeah, just look at all those trophies. They’ve actually regressed to the tune of one league position per season in that time too! :lol: Not sure this was your best example. They signed nobody last summer. Are you advocating that we sign nobody this summer?

I’m not even sure ‘they didn’t do this, except for the occasion where they did do it’ is a valid argument in the first place, to be fair.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Hamburger wrote:Loaning out rarely works as playing with crap players in a hacking league with awful coaches does nothing to bring a player on.
Sorry, what? Mark Noble, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Defoe, David Beckham, Harry Kane [to name a few] might disagree.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Turns to Stone wrote:Transfer Window Thread Bingo:
:lol: love this. Actual lol
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

LeonRivers wrote:I genuinely don’t understand how anyone can follow football for so long and still not grasp the basic concept of signing a player who is better than someone currently in the squad purely for the benefit of an increased points tally come the end of the coming season.
I don't know how anyone can follow West Ham for so long and not realise it's cheap, over 30 and playing in a weak league signings like this that keep us stuck in a perpetual loop of aiming to survive or finish 10th every year.

Improve the starting XI and you improve the squad, Medel doesn't do the first and it's debatable on the 2nd. Pointless, predictable signing.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

LeonRivers wrote: :lol: Madness, if true.
Pretty sure the loan deal they had meant they were forced to buy Ings this summer.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I feel like you need a darkened room and a cuppa, Leon. It’s been a tough week, football has really given us reason to hate the world.

I believe the age of players post to be extremely shortsighted. Age matters because it affects our transfer budget and wage budget every year. In short, if you wanna see better players at the club, always signing older ones makes that harder.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Wilko1304 wrote:I feel like you need a darkened room and a cuppa, Leon. It’s been a tough week, football has really given us reason to hate the world.

I believe the age of players post to be extremely shortsighted. Age matters because it affects our transfer budget and wage budget every year. In short, if you wanna see better players at the club, always signing older ones makes that harder.
:thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

One lesser-appreciated thing about signing younger players is the impact it might have on our seemingly unsolvable injury struggles every season. It would be worth trying something different even if only for that reason.

There were only 4 outfielders who were available for selection virtually the entire season: Rice, Diop, Anderson, Noble. Noble has a freakishly good injury record and always has, but the first lot were 3 of the 4 youngest squad members when the season kicked off.

We've had relatively old squads most of the last decade, and a relatively high casualty rate. This season our youngest players were the only ones really able to hack it for a whole season. Maybe none of these things are related but it seems plausible enough to try to explore further when drawing up recruitment plans.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:
There were only 4 outfielders who were available for selection virtually the entire season: Rice, Diop, Anderson, Noble. Noble has a freakishly good injury record and always has, but the first lot were 3 of the 4 youngest squad members when the season kicked off.
I have no idea if it supports your argument or not, but Masuaku, Oggy, Snoddy and Obiang were available for nearly all of the season, no?
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

It’s a valid observation, but Richard Hall, Dean Ashton, Jack Collison, Richard Garcia [to name a few] all suffered bad injuries as youngsters.

Let’s say we don’t sign Fabianski because he’s old. A younger first-team keeper costs us at least £10m. Which £10m are you removing from our summer spend? We lose Anderson and replace with which £30m player? We lose Diop?

Season before. We don’t sign Zabaleta. Instead we buy a first choice right back? As a result we lose who? Arnautovic?

Almost Any player good enough to improve our team will come with a down-side. That’s why they play for us and not Arsenal, Man U etc. Your main downside is that they’re old, injury prone or problematic. I’d take the professionalism of Zabaleta or Sheringham over the injury problems of Andy Carroll or Kieron Dyer every day. Ask any West Ham fan who our biggest financial problems have been in their lifetime. You’ll not find many putting Pablo Zabaleta ahead of Andy Carroll.
Pretending that a youth player could have done the job of Zabaleta or Sanchez won’t work, because Conor Coventry has been in the squad for the entire season and when both players have been fit Sanchez has been picked by the manager as the best man for the job every single time. Zabaleta was selected ahead of Johnson every time, and even after Ben’s debut (at left back) Pablo was always in once fit. You’ve then got the added benefit of these older players mentoring youngsters. It’s the professionalism that they bring to the squad. They are a magnificent influence on the youngsters. Medel is a leader and experienced international footballer. If the manager thinks he’s going to offer more to the club than Conor Coventry I’m inclined to support the decision. Obviously I’d much rather see a 20 year old £60m Brazilian International come in to play alongside Rice, but we’re not there yet.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

The Alavés forgets Maripán
Guillermo Maripán was injured on April 19 in the match against Real Valladolid. What looked like a sprain of grade 1 in the ankle of the central Chilean was complicated, since the first week of the injury had the area very swollen so he urged him to have complete rest. From there, the albiazul player has performed gym exercises and strengthening the area, but without training with the rest of his teammates, always on the sidelines.

The recovery time was estimated between two and three weeks so he lost the clashes against Barcelona, ​​Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad, same situation as Inui, which reappeared last weekend against the txuri-urdin, but returned to fall injured, although he is already training with the group and will be able to be available to Abelardo for this weekend. Guillermo Maripán continues on the sidelines of the group with a specific job in the gym.

Deportivo Alavés wants to be cautious with the possible return of Guillermo Maripán, since there are many European clubs that have been interested in getting the services of the center for the next campaign, siren songs arrived especially from the Premier League .

Weeks ago we already knew the interest of West Ham , in addition to other clubs of the Premier, but the sports director Sergio Fernandez has always referred to the rescission clause of the Chilean, 25 million euros. Everything indicates that Guillermo Maripán will not wear the almar Azul jersey next season in the Gasteiz team and has very difficult to play in the two games that remain against Valencia and Girona, because of injury could truncate more than possible sale of the player to English soccer
https://www.marca.com/futbol/alaves/201 ... b4635.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Samaris hears Dinamo Moscow

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-n ... Principais" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behind a paywall so:

From Portugal: West Ham and Wolves join Newcastle in race for midfielder

n the past few days, we’ve seen the return of rumours linking Newcastle United to Andreas Samaris.

With the Greek international’s contract with Benfica expiring this summer, the Magpies were said to be one of the sides who want to sign him on a free transfer.

And today, newspaper Record adds two other Premier League sides to this race: West Ham United and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Record’s story is actually focused on Dinamo Kiev, to whom the player ‘hasn’t closed doors’, and he’ll hear their offer despite his wish to stay at Benfica.

Dinamo’s offer would be pretty good, but Record says it’s the same case with the Premier League clubs, who could put similar or even bigger numbers on the table.

It’s obviously a little strange to see West Ham and Wolves getting included in the story out of nowhere, and not receiving the same spotlight as Dinamo Kiev do.

But we’re also used to seeing random mentions like this when a player’s contract is about to expire. So let’s keep an eye on this one.
http://sportwitness.co.uk/portugal-west ... idfielder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I understand we want an older goalkeeper as understudy to Fab next season. I said it a couple of weeks ago. I give you 38 year old Petr Cech on one year Bosman. He'll be here, I guarantee it. Sully just wont be able to turn this one away