Alan Curbishley

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you happy with the way West Ham play under Alan Curbishley?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes: 885

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

13 points from 9 games, positive GD, all with half our 1st team missing. You lot don't know when you've got it good. Not as exciting as a relegation scrap but give me 2007 over 2003 any day.

CURBS IN!
Hammersfan111

Post by Hammersfan111 »

Curbs in, anything is better than a relegation battle - we do not have a god given right to make the euro spots.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Sauce! wrote:13 points from 9 games, positive GD, all with half our 1st team missing. You lot don't know when you've got it good. Not as exciting as a relegation scrap but give me 2007 over 2003 any day.

CURBS IN!
many posts like this one. I'm not anti-Curbs, I'm not particularly pro-Curbs. I detest and am embarrassed at the fickleness and extreme reactions of naive, impatient and probably quite young fans.

Yet Sauce's argument above shouldn't disguise the fact that the 13 points we have accumulated were largely stuttering victories against lesser opposition, we've failed miserably against sterner tests (including a poor Villa side), we are have been boring to watch, have an enormous void of creativity, and were unadventurous in the transfer market. Why we never contested Man City for the signing of Elano is particularly frustrating, I feel.

All I'm saying is the extreme reactions of both sides are absurd. Curbs deserves a chance (he's easily earnt that), but at the same time, we should certainly heed caution, and not look at our progress with rose-tinted spectacles. Personally, at the moment, this is one of the most dull West Ham teams I have watched in my 21 years as a fan. Of course, it's hard to be too judgmental in light of the injury situation, and it's even harder to assess whether we've been foolish or unlucky with the injury situation.

For the time being though, just get the f*** behind the team!
party iron

Post by party iron »

steveyrockstar wrote: many posts like this one. I'm not anti-Curbs, I'm not particularly pro-Curbs. I detest and am embarrassed at the fickleness and extreme reactions of naive, impatient and probably quite young fans.

Yet Sauce's argument above shouldn't disguise the fact that the 13 points we have accumulated were largely stuttering victories against lesser opposition, we've failed miserably against sterner tests (including a poor Villa side), we are have been boring to watch, have an enormous void of creativity, and were unadventurous in the transfer market. Why we never contested Man City for the signing of Elano is particularly frustrating, I feel.

All I'm saying is the extreme reactions of both sides are absurd. Curbs deserves a chance (he's easily earnt that), but at the same time, we should certainly heed caution, and not look at our progress with rose-tinted spectacles. Personally, at the moment, this is one of the most dull West Ham teams I have watched in my 21 years as a fan. Of course, it's hard to be too judgmental in light of the injury situation, and it's even harder to assess whether we've been foolish or unlucky with the injury situation.

For the time being though, just get the f*ck behind the team!
Does any one think the dullness of the way we have played this year is down to the fact that we are still a team with fans that remember last year to much.As soon as something does not go our way you can sence the panic in the crowd i would also say the players are picking up on this.

Hopefully when we have picked up enough points this year or once the season has finished and we have looked comfortable most of the season the fans mentality might change and curbs might be able to play with a less cautious plan knowing if we went behind or the other team were getting the better of us we are not going to boo or sing you dont know what your doing.
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

As has been said we have not even seen our first choice team play this year in the PL and we are where we would expect to be, if not a little higher, in the table.
There are a number of teams in our 'Mini-league' who are at the moment looking better, Man City, Blackburn and Pompey for a start. I still think we will finish top half and all along i have been thinking of next season being the one where we MUST make progress and be pushing for Europe and Trophies. If Curbs is the right bloke we will know by Christmas 2008. Unless he does a Jol.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

steveyrockstar wrote:many posts like this one. I'm not anti-Curbs, I'm not particularly pro-Curbs. I detest and am embarrassed at the fickleness and extreme reactions of naive, impatient and probably quite young fans.

13 points have been accumulated because we took our chances and other teams didnt... getting the fundamentals right in football and the basics right is what it is about, and that is the basic difference between a lower league team and a higher league team!

Although we lost against Arsenal, Villa and Newcastle... we were close to snatching a point, but we failed to do the basics right and missed opportunities we should have scored (similar to how teams against us that we have beaten have failed to do those basics right)... and even against arsenal we did do that despite the referee obviously being scared of giving a big decision against one of the big 4 cost us (but thats a completely different debate :wink: )

Just in regard to Elano... how does anyone know whether we enquired for him or not? We dont know a fraction of what goes on behind the scenes, so how do we know that we didnt make an enquiry but where told the player had no desire to join a team who narrowly avoided relegation last season?
steveyrockstar wrote:All I'm saying is the extreme reactions of both sides are absurd. Curbs deserves a chance (he's easily earnt that), but at the same time, we should certainly heed caution, and not look at our progress with rose-tinted spectacles. Personally, at the moment, this is one of the most dull West Ham teams I have watched in my 21 years as a fan. Of course, it's hard to be too judgmental in light of the injury situation, and it's even harder to assess whether we've been foolish or unlucky with the injury situation.
Curbs job rests on us getting results, if he doesnt he is likely to get the chop... not really about how we get those results! Some of the most boring teams over the last 3-4 years have been successful... Bolton got sucess and were horrible to watch under fat sam... Chelsea won the title with absolutely horrible football 2 seasons ago... even going back to arsenal's george graham days, 1-0 was a more than frequent result and that didnt do them any harm! You can do well playing good football but a team needs to run before it can walk... and after last season the club is virtually starting from scratch with all aspect of the club and so the club are learning to walk again... give them time to find their feet before we start playing the west ham way, once our place in the premier league is abit more secure!
steveyrockstar wrote:For the time being though, just get the f*ck behind the team!
well said :wink:
joeyboy

Post by joeyboy »

The reason we lack dynamism at the moment is because of the injury list. OK it can be argued Curbs bought these players but he cant be blamed for Faubert. I'm with steveyrockstar completely.

I'm getting sick of the cries around me of 'get it forward!'. What's wrong with keeping the ball and building the play (like the first goal). Yes we needed a bit more tempo but our second half failings came because we gave the ball away so cheaply!

As Take That sang, let's have a little patience.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

joeyboy wrote: I'm getting sick of the cries around me of 'get it forward!'. What's wrong with keeping the ball and building the play (like the first goal). Yes we needed a bit more tempo but our second half failings came because we gave the ball away so cheaply!
Good point

On sunday, up until we scored, the commentators were implying we were doing lots of nice passing, but with little threat, which was about right (although they were made to eat their words shortly afterwards as Mullins sprayed the ball out to Macca...).

But against a packed midfield, and solid defence that's what you do. Try to get something going down the left. Nothing doing so back into the middle, switch to the right, no go there, back into the middle, etc, etc. We were keeping the ball well, yet struggling to break them down

That's how we should have kept playing, imo. For some reason we then stopped trying to build patiently, and kept lumping it forwards. I'm all for using that tactic once in a while, variety and all that, but it seemed that was all we were doing. After they equalised it got worse
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Referring to the above, Curbs has certainly got us playing with tidy organisation and composure - can't knock him on that front
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: many posts like this one. I'm not anti-Curbs, I'm not particularly pro-Curbs. I detest and am embarrassed at the fickleness and extreme reactions of naive, impatient and probably quite young fans.

For the time being though, just get the f*ck behind the team!
:clap:
Hughesyhammer
Yellow card - abuse

Post by Hughesyhammer »

Was watching the game on Sky Sports yesterday and in my opinion Mark Noble had one of his worst games in a West Ham shirt (I still love him, just had a 1 off bad game) I am not having a go, the best of us have bad days at the office.

Alam Curbishley obviously noticed this and took Noble and Ethers off for Solano and Boa Morte.

Now I heard chants of "you don't know what your doing" once again from the TV because he took the "Golden" boy off the pitch. Look what happened as a result of the substitutions? Yes thats right Boa Morte basically got 2 assists and Solano got basically "his" goal.

I hope that those MINORITY of West Ham fans took the bolt and will admit that they were wrong but the thing is with our "Brilliant" supporters. We are so so fickle and disgraceful.

Get behind the BLOODY team and stop boooing and causing problems, I was so glad that Carlton Cole scored. Again most probably got Booed when his name was mentioned before the match. You will now get a certain amount of West Ham fans saying "Cole for England". Some just don't have a f**king clue.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Hughesyhammer wrote:You will now get a certain amount of West Ham fans saying "Cole for England".
:D

Don't go overboard!
Rapidhammer

Post by Rapidhammer »

The passing in the second half was far from brilliant. IMO the substitution was OK and I think Curbs knew what he was doing. Boa Morte had a good game and I think the Hammers wouldn't have won it without him. What I find quite interesting is that Mark Noble has not scored from the game this season. When he scored 3 goals last season every time the assist came from Carlos Tevez. What we are lacking this season so far is a flair player in midfield who passes well when the opposition is defending deep.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

All this stuff about the knee jerkers being young fans is bull**** IMO. Most of the stuff of this nature that I have heard is coming from the people that are amongst the older generation.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Early Days

Post by Bramwell »

Curbs has been in charge for less than a year. When he arrived, the playing staff was a mess (in every sense of the word). The attitude stank, the football had gone from 'pretty to watch' the season before to 'pretty dire' last term, and the club had become a '24/7, 365' media topic. In came Curbs with a brief that couldn't have been harder had Magnusson thrown a clause into his contract that read "...and solve the Middle East issue whilst finding a cure for cancer".

Anyways, his tract record to date is:

Premiership games: Played 30, won 12 drawn 4 lost 14
Cup games (FA and Carking): Played 4, won 3 lost 1

Hardly a disaster story, is it?!
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

Rapidhammer wrote:What we are lacking this season so far is a flair player in midfield who passes well when the opposition is defending deep.
Agreed and methinks a fit Freddie or maybe even Nobby could be that person :shock:
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

The more I think about it, Nobby Solano could be a very influential player for us?
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

beex wrote:The more I think about it, Nobby Solano could be a very influential player for us?
I thought his quality of pass on Sunday was top class.
spiky_simon

Post by spiky_simon »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: That's how we should have kept playing, imo. For some reason we then stopped trying to build patiently, and kept lumping it forwards. I'm all for using that tactic once in a while, variety and all that, but it seemed that was all we were doing.
Maybe cos the players were picking up on the "get it forward" comments?
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

One thing about Curbishley that does annoy me is that he appears to let things ride rather then trying to change the game. I don't mean against Sunderland though i feel his substitutions came about 10 minutes too late.

What i mean is Roy Keane on the weekend against us saw at half time it wasn't working and completely changed tactics and really deserved a point from the game. He took a risk and it came off in terms of how the game was going he made changes early and it changed the game.

Which is what we should of done against Villa and Newcastle rather then waiting 80 minutes. If Sunderland think they can get a win at Upton Park why shouldn't we do the same thing at Villa Park and St James Park.

It seemded to me he was happy at only being one down thinking we could get something out of the game. Which in all honestly didn't deserve but he makes changes too late i feel rather then taking risks. Which is why the Villa game was so frustrating because everyone could see it wasn't working we weren't creating anything. But we didn't take a chance till it was far far too late.

That's what dissapoints me with Curbishley he seems to let things ride more often then not. When we should take more risks especially away from home. We could of easily beaten Villa who in all honesty were pretty rubbish. Also a couple of times last season Fulham away and Sheffield United. I feel we could of been more adventurous then what we were.