Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by westlondonhammer »

Oh Danny G is wonderful! wrote:He is extremely boring to listen to on tv, he was on Skysports talking about who was going to win the Premier League title and by the time he finished answering i had totally lost interest in what he was saying.

I dont want the manager to be amazingly entertaining on tv but i think he should have some sort of spark or edge to him which you hope could inspire the players
Do you think he is the same in front of the cameras as he is in the dressing room?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Oh Danny G is wonderful! wrote: He is extremely boring to listen to on tv, he was on Skysports talking about who was going to win the Premier League title and by the time he finished answering i had totally lost interest in what he was saying.

I dont want the manager to be amazingly entertaining on tv but i think he should have some sort of spark or edge to him which you hope could inspire the players
My suspicion from watching so many is not so much that he's boring but that he's bored. I just think he gets bored with doing tedious interviews asking the same questions three times a week. Some might see that as a weakness - I certainly don't.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

pbenjy wrote: I am not sure that KUMB is representative of West Ham fans as a whole because the pro and anti Curbs arguments on this thread are in the main well presented and valid, however, some of the mindless b***ocks you hear spouted at the ground on match days beggars belief.

Some people seem to go to football just so they can let off steam and moan in a way that wouldn’t be acceptable outside a football ground. I’m sure it fulfils some deep psychological need for them.

I have been thinking about getting a season ticket after not having had one for a few years. The thing that puts me off is spending a whole season within earshot of some of the ignorant moaning gobshites that you come across at Upton Park these days.

Like UTJ I hope a few more of these people do give up their season tickets, but I bet they don’t. If instead of going to football they spend their Saturday afternoons bawling ‘you caaant, you don’t know what your ****ing doin’ at the manager of their local Homebase they will soon be locked up.
I agree so much - some people really do appear to just love a good moan and the stuff they say is usually crap - like ten minutes into a match 'Zamora's crap...I think Curbs needs to change the game NOW!' or straight after the final whistle blew on the 2-1 win with Man U someone said to me 'Curbs is still a c*nt'.

It's like I've said before, I find it so ironic that some fans chanted 'too f*cking negative' at times this season when there's been far more negativity in the stands than there has on the pitch. Even though I will renew, you'd probably be far better off getting an away season ticket mate as there's far more of a community feel and a lot of the time when things are bad we just take the p*ss rather than moaning and whining - gallows humour beats being whinging bastards any day of the week.

The other thing I would say is that with Curbishley is that people love to dwell on the negatives over the positives - for instance people will still rather speak about Curbishley's inability to change the game when we were down at Old Trafford (frustrating to be sure) than the fact that he changed the game two home matches ago and in the last two home games we played some great football, went for the win and Curbs threw three up front against Villa. So of the last four games of the season, the negative is used to emphasise the against argument but nobody talks about the positive parts even though they outweigh the downside.

EDIT:
Who cares if he doesn't entertain you in interviews - does it affect his ability as a manager? He does talk sense most of the time but obviously he's been repetitive recently because he's asked the same old questions because for once we're not being humiliated on or off the pitch week in week out because of the stability he's brought so there's not so much to ask him about. A victim of his own success?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Roaring Repka wrote: for instance people will still rather speak about Curbishley's inability to change the game when we were down at Old Trafford
He did change the game at Old Trafford, before half time it looked like we were going to make a game of it, score the next goal and anything could have happened, all changed after half-time though when we did f*** all. :think:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

carnage wrote: He did change the game at Old Trafford, before half time it looked like we were going to make a game of it, score the next goal and anything could have happened, all changed after half-time though when we did f*** all. :think:
Whereas at half-time in the Newcastle game it looked like 'oh sh*t we've thrown away a 2-0 lead in minutes here, being typical West Ham we'll go and lose 4-2 now' but he got them focussed again and we outplayed them once more in the second half (playing good football) and deserved to win.

Or against Villa when we went 2-1 down, throw three up front, get an equaliser.

You've just proven my point that people will rather highlight one negative decision in a game we probably would have gone on to lose under Redknapp, Pardew, Roeder or Bilic over three points-winning ones.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Roaring Repka wrote: one negative decision .
How long you got. :shock:
Oh Danny G is wonderful!

Post by Oh Danny G is wonderful! »

westlondonhammer wrote: Do you think he is the same in front of the cameras as he is in the dressing room?
I have no idea if he is the same in front of the cameras as he is in the dressing room. My opinion is based on what i see on television and read in the papers. The post match interview is the time managers have to tell the fans what their thoughts are and explain why they made certain decisions. All the managers get asked the same question week after week but they always manage to turn the interview round to talk about what they want to talk about. If he cant be bothered to explain himself that is a worry to me as what we read in the paper and see on tv is the only way a lot of fans get to base an opinion of him.

I am not saying that this is a reason to sack him it is just one of the reasons fans are struggling to warm to him as i cant see what is going to change as he wont actually tell anyone what his thoughts are.

I would like to repeat i dont want him sacked as he has done a good job.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

I think he should tell us what's wrong with Llewellyn. I've always wondered why.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

carnage wrote: How long you got. :shock:
As long as you want but for every negative decision I will come back with ones that have paid off so feel free, in looking at the last four games where we were supposedly at our worst I've come up with three positives to your one negative so carry on...
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Countryboy wrote:One of them is financing her medical degree by working as a health-care assistant at our local hospital, wiping geriatric arses, making their beds, washing them, emptying their bed-pans, all the menial but essential work nurses won't touch these days.
I admire her ethics, but do me a favour and get your facts right and be just a little less offensive to an entire profession.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

neilbob wrote: I admire her ethics, but do me a favour and get your facts right and be just a little less offensive to an entire profession.
Two words neilbob.

Daily Mail
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Roaring Repka wrote: As long as you want but for every negative decision I will come back with ones that have paid off so feel free, in looking at the last four games where we were supposedly at our worst I've come up with three positives to your one negative so carry on...
If it wasn't so late where i was, i would think between myself & Mr Carnage, we could roll off a quick 20 between us off the top of our heads, but i'll leave it to him... :wink:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Oh Danny G is wonderful! wrote:The post match interview is the time managers have to tell the fans what their thoughts are and explain why they made certain decisions. All the managers get asked the same question week after week but they always manage to turn the interview round to talk about what they want to talk about.
That really depends ODG ... if a manager has seen his team beaten then nine times out of ten they'll want to be out of there as quickly as possible (the tenth occasion being if your name is Ian Holloway).

I have some sympathy for the managers here ... as you say they are asked the same questions week in, week out and these press conferences must be one of the most boring aspects of the job.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

QuintonNimoy wrote: Two words neilbob.

Daily Mail
Point taken :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

neilbob wrote: I admire her ethics, but do me a favour and get your facts right and be just a little less offensive to an entire profession.
:thup:
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Up the Junction wrote:
I hear the criticisms re:quality of football, but I saw exactly the same under Pardew, Roeder, Redknapp and Lyall. It's nothing new. Maybe it's something to do with the expectations that a billionaire owner brings?
Thats pretty much how I see it, although I'd also suggest the fun being sucked out the "terraces" is another massive factor along with absolutely insane prices. None of which the manager can be blamed for.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:If it wasn't so late where i was, i would think between myself & Mr Carnage, we could roll off a quick 20 between us off the top of our heads, but i'll leave it to him... :wink:
Hey! I know yesterday you demanded his instant resignation but today you said you thought everyone should stand by the man in charge :p

I think I was within my right to say what I said - I made a post outlining the last four games and just a few words were picked out to ridicule what I'd said rather than making any attempt to counter back.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
If it wasn't so late where i was, i would think between myself & Mr Carnage, we could roll off a quick 20 between us off the top of our heads, but i'll leave it to him... :wink:
I'm sure we could come up with plenty to counter yours though bob..
carnage

Post by carnage »

Roaring Repka wrote:As long as you want but for every negative decision I will come back with ones that have paid off so feel free, in looking at the last four games where we were supposedly at our worst I've come up with three positives to your one negative so carry on...
At our worst the last 4 games? :shock:
Last 4 games have been pretty meaningless apart from the rediculous bonus on offer.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

carnage wrote: At our worst the last 4 games? :shock:
Last 4 games have been pretty meaningless apart from the rediculous bonus on offer.
Ridiculous on what counts? I bet City, Blackburn, Newcastle and others would have had a bonus for a top ten finish and as you don't know the amount you can't call the bonus ridiculous.

I don't know, people are going on about the post-March slump so I was just making out the point that everyone goes on about the surrender at Old Trafford but the fact is Curbs made point-gaining, point-saving decisions in the three matches around that which have gone all but unnoticed.

And before anyone says 4-5-1 against the big four - firstly it won the games with Man United and Liverpool at home - secondly what formation have heroic attacking managers Redknapp and Pardew used for much of this season, I'd hazard a guess and say far more often than Curbs?