West Ham Utd 0 Manchester Utd 1 (08/02/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

double D

Re: West Ham United vs Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by double D »

A good all round performance and no disgrace not to score where many others have failed. We fell asleep for 2 minutes and they capitalised on that and scored, which is what great sides do, thought Parker was emense again and backed up by the other midfield boys. I have not seen a West Ham side hassle opponents for years like they do now, we have always invited teams to attack us recently and at home thats criminal but today Manure never had much time on the ball, except Giggs!!!!

Come on you Irons :wink:
Darling

Post by Darling »

It seems the c**** that are the plastic 'fans' of manure are everywhere except Manchester...especially here in Norway. I have a vision of ****ting on the doorstep of each one of their homes before I die.

Solid performance from us though the defending for the goal was difficult to digest. Looked a bit toothless up front but Fonz will work on that with time.

I hope the championship goes to Chelsea, Arsenal or even Liverpool.

Needless to say I look forward to the FA Cup and the following match against Bolton...the other bunch of northern c**** that we owe a thrashing to.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Having to use swiss barmy army Behrami, as a backup rb today, really took away some width on the right. Ok, good tactical call as held ronald in check, but just missed his creativity, which forced us to go inside of right flank. All in all mancs were probably in thier toughest game of the season today. Upson was brill, kust wish Parker would get England call as you can have flair midfielders, Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Carrick, but its noce to see a midfielder willing to get stuck in. A little bit more to Nobles game and we'll have a new Brooking on thru balls. doing it in under 21's with picking his passes, nearly had it today.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

parker superb......again
behrami superb......again
cole superb......again
neill collison noble green ilunga collins upson all played well.

the only poor performance was DDM.

shame we couldnt get something out the game, but very pleasing to see us match them.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Southend Hammer wrote:Thought the team played very well, this should have ended a draw.

Parker might be the best ball winner in the PL. Really is a leader.
Cole is improving with every game and he didnt require his normal time to get into the match, he was up for it from the start
Behrami never stops running and covers for Neill, minimising the risk.
Neill might have lost his speed but he played well when venturing forward.

DiMichele struggled as the game went on, might need a few more games and goals to settle in properly.

For me Carlton Cole was our man of the match.. something that I never thought I would ever say.

The match commentary is a total wind up, thinking of watching the next game with the sound off
That's better.
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

That post-match analysis was bloody awful.

They were saying that Carrick and Scholes were causing us problems all game. From here it looked as if our midfield had free reign, I don't remember seeing Carrick or Scholes.

Behrami had Ronaldo in his pocket for most of the game.

Savio is keen, if he keeps up this attitude he could become a nuisance. Just hope he has the ability.
Billy_Boy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

Thought it was a generally solid performance with one truly forgettable piece of defending. We did seem to lack width going forward but I guess we sacrificed that in order to defend narrow.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

On the day I think a draw would have been a fairer result as I didn't think either side deserved to lose, but there is no disgrace in losing 1-0 to United. I do feel disappointred all the same and was a bit surprised Zola didn't freshen things up a bit sooner. It might have been different had Savio started the match as I never did think this was gonna be Di Michelle's match
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 399 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Bad result but good performance.not seen a West Ham side play as well as a Team for a long time
Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU »

If Behrami wasn't on the pitch Ronaldo would have had a field day against Neill.
Unfortunate not to score and conceed green must have had 3 shots to save so im not gonna complain about anything.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Puff Daddy wrote:On the day I think a draw would have been a fairer result as I didn't think either side deserved to lose, but there is no disgrace in losing 1-0 to United. I do feel disappointred all the same and was a bit surprised Zola didn't freshen things up a bit sooner. It might have been different had Savio started the match as I never did think this was gonna be Di Michelle's match
I agree with all of that except one thing.... stop doing an Andy ****ing Gray and calling them United. WE are United just as much as they are.

Christ I hate Andy Gray. Headbanger

I feel better now.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Watched the game in Fado's downtown,at least 12-15 West Ham fans at the pub,good tun out for us,but still outnumbered by the Manc fans 4-1.
Thought we played well,but lacked width.
Dissapointed with the way we gave the goal away,giving the corner away needlesly,losing the ball 30 yards out and then two players not closing down Giggs.
Parker,Neill and Cole played very well in particular.Cole worked his nuts off and had little support.
Overall proud of the lads :crest: .
Hammer Tom

Post by Hammer Tom »

We were deserving of a point.

However Mark Noble is an absolute liability. He was giving scholes all the time in the world to pick out his pass throughout the match. Also for the their goal instead of pussying around on the edge of the area he should of got the ****ing ball clear. I really do not rate him and has not improved at all since the year we nearly went down.
Last edited by Hammer Tom on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Vince wrote:Thought we played well,but lacked width.
Dissapointed with the way we gave the goal away,giving the corner away needlesly,losing the ball 30 yards out and then two players not closing down Giggs.
Parker,Neill and Cole played very well in particular.Cole worked his nuts off and had little support.
Overall proud of the lads :crest: .
My thoughts exactly.....
colchesterhammer

Post by colchesterhammer »

Hammer Tom wrote:We were deserving of a point.

However Mark Noble is an absoulte liability. He was giving scholes all the time in the world to pick out his pass throughout the match. Also for the their goal instead of pussying around on the edge of the area he should of got the f***ing ball clear. I really do not rate him and has not improved at all since the year we nearly went down.
Don't agree with this at all. Noble is a good young midfielder who is getting better and will continue to do so. To call him a liability is ridiculous
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Very very good performance. However, I am very disapointed. I have seen us play much worse againt Manure and get some kind of result (November 2002 comes to mind, where an underserving offside Defoe strike levelled a game which was dominated by Manure)

I am convinced that a pacy striker is what we need. Di Michlele just doesnt look fast enough to fulfil that role. He will continue to be amenace, however, he is not able to compete at a level against the best team. For two games in a row, his influence was nullified.

My humble opinion

Rob Green 6 Not much to do, save pick the ball from the net !
Lucas Neill 5 Slow and sluggish.At fault for goal,a nd penalty shoutWithout Behrami, Ronaldo could have had a field day
Herita Illunga 6 Seemed to get nervous going forward. Dealt with Rafael and Giggs admirably
James Collins 7 Didnt give Berbatov an inch, let alone a shot.
Matthew Upson 7 Continues to give International worthy performances
Valon Behrami 9 Attacking was superb, defence was even better
Scott Parker 8 The defensive Hub of the midfield.
Mark Noble 7 Buzzed about and sought out chances.
Jack Collison 7 Some nice touches, and bamaboozled UTD's defence once.
Carlton Cole 7 Led the line with confidence. Wasted a good early chance
David Di Michele 5 Pretty anonomous, and he didnt really have any impact on the goal

Savio Nesereko 5 Seems a little lightweight, but his confidence must improve
Diego Tristan 4 No Impact, but granted here was little time to do so.
party iron

Post by party iron »

I think we are really doing well of late and we would have beat most team with today performance.I still think for us to push on as a club we need a top draw striker, but then we are west ham and cant have every thing
m-h

Post by m-h »

but Noble was fouled in the possession turnover that led to giggs getting possession. will never get those calls unless you top 4,5 team. Which Irons can be, as long as we all stand behind them, as we always have. Zola/clarke are the difference and still bringing the youngsters in. no wonder why cfc having problems, aged squad, and no Academy !!. Collison on his way to Peterboro until zola stepped in. We still have FA cup and Euroland in reach. Havn't honestly seen ammer performances like this for long time. But thats why we stick around loving West Ham !!.
Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU »

Shame we didnt get that Bryce moon actually he'd definitely take Neills place in my team especially against Ronaldo aswell
Hammer Tom

Post by Hammer Tom »

miami-hammer wrote:but Noble was fouled in the possession turnover that led to giggs getting possession. will never get those calls unless you top 4,5 team. Which Irons can be, as long as we all stand behind them, as we always have. Zola/clarke are the difference and still bringing the youngsters in. no wonder why cfc having problems, aged squad, and no Academy !!. Collison on his way to Peterboro until zola stepped in. We still have FA cup and Euroland in reach. Havn't honestly seen ammer performances like this for long time. But thats why we stick around loving West Ham !!.
Maybe but he stayed on his feet and instead of complaining could of got on with it. To be honest I am struggling to see anything that he is very good at. I think he has stagnated with us and if we could get some decent money for him I would take it.