Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 2 (31/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Matt of iron

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by Matt of iron »

Geordie Hammer wrote:
Agree. I shouted myself hoarse in the second half. Marlon....sorry, I mean Carlton did my f*cking head in. Lazy? might be a bit harsh but he did look uninterested.

Not many will air that.

Just spoke to my Brother and said the same as usual.

When Carlton got the ball we looked dangerous but we barely got the ball to him in the second half.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Chippenhammer wrote:This is one of those frustrating "would have settld for a point before kick off but not after going ahead" results. We need to beat Villa now and this would seem like a good point. Lose and it is not.
That sounds fair enough

I only listened to the game today, but it sounds like the ref had a blinder :oops:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

There seemed to be not a single player in our midfield today who got the ball and kept it.

Also, I lost count of the number of times it sounded like Sunderland players were running half the length of the pitch with the ball.
Where were the challenges?

All we had to do was see it out at 0-2 until half-time. Bruce would maybe have re-assessed things more towards damage limitation and hitting us on the break, going in at that scoreline, with ten men.

Confidence is brittle at the moment, very brittle. Cole can't carry the rest of them all season.

That's 6 goals in 10 matches for him though. A very good return from a stop-start side.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Matt of iron wrote:

Not many will air that.

Just spoke to my Brother and said the same as usual.

When Carlton got the ball we looked dangerous but we barely got the ball to him in the second half.
Yes he scored. But in the second half he looked uninterested (thats my opinion and many will disagree with me). And as for the opportunity at the end...less said about that the better. I know the tactics don't help but his positioning at times was poor. I'm not singling him out because I thought most of the team were poor in the second half.

Frustrated....very frustrated
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote:There seemed to be not a single player in our midfield today who got the ball and kept it.

Also, I lost count of the number of times it sounded like Sunderland players were running half the length of the pitch with the ball.
I saw a fair bit of the first half and Collison certainly kept the ball well....

But we have the same problem that we have had since January PM - too many poor athletes in the line up. Noble, Franco and Kovac.

By about 50 minutes it's like we have only 8 players on the pitch. Replacing Behrami with Diamanti just adds to that.

It was the same last year when they used to bring Tristan and DDM into the team.

It was especially galling today when Zola had decent options on the bench to keep up our tempo...
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

just got back from the game.

At half time I said:

we would be in danger of being in second gear - similr to the Fulham game
one of our 3 players on a yellow will be sent off.

Although I will defend Zola - he should have started the second half with 2 substitutes of Diamanti and Hines to show intent and taken off Kovac given how the ref was going to act and also stetch Sunderland.

We were luky they didn't get 3.

Carlton Cole on 2 glorious occasions chose to shot for glory rather than the more obvious an goal certain pass.

3 points lost. A real disappointingsecond half.And as for that ref...
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

How the Sunderland Captain stayed on that Pitch i will never ever know..

He got his last warning & was already on a Yellow after 14 mins then committed 2 x 2 footed lunges which both could have been straight red's with one before Jone's red & one after, dreadful Refereeing & Mariner did not implement the rules of the Game today.

He bottled it.

Poor second, half, good point, 2 good Goals, incredibly bad luck with their equaliser, scary looking defensive frailties, Cole looked ****ing out of this world at times today, 4 points from the next 2 games please... :thup:
m-h

Post by m-h »

2 games without loss. Just need to learn how to win.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Romford Iron wrote:Merson on SSN saying he'd be suprised if Carlton is still there in Jan. Said he looked better than Drogba
He meant Drogba is an ugly **** :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

A Cole lotta love
Merse has never seen Cole play so well

Paul Merson encouraged Arsenal to sign Carlton Cole following his "phenomenal" display against Sunderland.

Saturday's clash between Sunderland and West Ham at the Stadium of Light was a thrilling 2-2 draw with both sides being reduced to 10 men as the home side came back from two goals down to snatch a draw.

But amid the excitement, Merson felt West Ham striker Cole stood head and shoulders above the rest - and he said he'd be surprised if he was still a West Ham player when the January transfer window closes next year.

"First half he was unplayable," he was absolutely phenomenal, Merson told Soccer Saturday.

"It was like an 18-year-old playing in an Under-12's league. Honestly, he was frightening, absolutely frightening.

"He was Drogba, he was absolutely brilliant. I said to Charlie during the game that someone will buy him.

"Now if Arsenal want to go and sell the 'best player in the world' in Bendtner and get Cole I think they'll be flying.

"I'd be surprised if he's there in January. I'd be shocked."
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

F*ck off Merson you c*nt.

I feel better now.
Geordie Hammer

Post by Geordie Hammer »

cockney hammer wrote:A Cole lotta love
Merse has never seen Cole play so well

Paul Merson encouraged Arsenal to sign Carlton Cole following his "phenomenal" display against Sunderland.

Saturday's clash between Sunderland and West Ham at the Stadium of Light was a thrilling 2-2 draw with both sides being reduced to 10 men as the home side came back from two goals down to snatch a draw.

But amid the excitement, Merson felt West Ham striker Cole stood head and shoulders above the rest - and he said he'd be surprised if he was still a West Ham player when the January transfer window closes next year.

"First half he was unplayable," he was absolutely phenomenal, Merson told Soccer Saturday.

"It was like an 18-year-old playing in an Under-12's league. Honestly, he was frightening, absolutely frightening.

"He was Drogba, he was absolutely brilliant. I said to Charlie during the game that someone will buy him.

"Now if Arsenal want to go and sell the 'best player in the world' in Bendtner and get Cole I think they'll be flying.

"I'd be surprised if he's there in January. I'd be shocked."
Really?? :shock: First half ok but in the second, no way. Looks like I'm alone on this one
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

prophet:marginal wrote:There seemed to be not a single player in our midfield today who got the ball and kept it.

All we had to do was see it out at 0-2 until half-time. Bruce would maybe have re-assessed things more towards damage limitation and hitting us on the break, going in at that scoreline, with ten men.

Confidence is brittle at the moment, very brittle. Cole can't carry the rest of them all season.

That's 6 goals in 10 matches for him though. A very good return from a stop-start side.
And there lies our problem. Oh, and a manager who cannot see the obvious from 5 yards, even if it hit him in the face with a cannon ball.

Nice bloke and all that, got nice ideas, but just not who we need in the situatioin we are in now.

Don't ask me who would replace him, because like most of us, I would be ****ed if I know who would come here the **** state we are in.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

smuts wrote:F*ck off Merson you c*nt.

I feel better now.
Smuts

If you'd seen the context, its quite funny why he said it.

Bendtner has been bigging himself up in the news, and said he would one day be "the best striker in the world".
Geordie Hammer

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Dyer's Leg wrote:
And there lies our problem. Oh, and a manager who cannot see the obvious from 5 yards, even if it hit him in the face with a cannon ball.

Nice bloke and all that, got nice ideas, but just not who we need in the situatioin we are in now.

Don't ask me who would replace him, because like most of us, I would be f***ed if I know who would come here the sh*t state we are in.
:clap: The substitutions came about 10 minutes too late. We could see what was happening from the stands but he let Sunderland keep coming at us and didn't change it. He changed our system when they went to 10 men....why?!!!!
neil_d
Total likes: 1 like

Post by neil_d »

Geordie Hammer wrote: Really?? :shock: First half ok but in the second, no way. Looks like I'm alone on this one
He did look rather uninterested in the second half. And I remember he was shaking his head when we got a corner late on...Disappointed that things were going belly up rather than eager to score a winner.

Was disappointed to see Hines come on and then play out on the left (and Noble spent a while on the right wing?!) not up with Cole.
scottish_hammer

Post by scottish_hammer »

might get slated for this but I think carlton played well untill the last 10 mins. His strength was excellent again and it made him space when he had 2/3 men on him it was just his finishing that was poor as a few times he made the chance for himself and then bottled it in front of goal
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just got back. crackiing over night in newcastle and a great game today.

some **** on the radiio claimed we were diving and ****ing..err.. what was it about a punch, two two footed tackles and noble going into the advertisting hoardings that you missed you mackem twat.?

cant belive people are slagging cole off

spector looked like a 13 year old...jesus has he ever played worse? as for the sencond half- jesus if we could just hold the ball in the middle....and losing behrami for diamante, who then spends ten minutes giving the ball away.

greeno pulled off a couple of brilliant saves.

a win on wednesday and we'll be on our way :crest: :crest:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I'm watching football first, so I dont know how long has actually passed, but Tomkins has given the ball away under no pressure twice, and Kovac four times.

Oh, and Noble has done a trademark free kick to an oppo player. As has Collison.

And thats in the first half, when we played well! Guessing we get better.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Intelligent run from Franco across the defender for the goal. Breaks his neck to get there.