Alessandro Diamanti

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Re: Alessandro Diamanti

Post by bubbles1966 »

As I said in January, to much out-pouring of Meryl-ness on here, has anyone got a clue where this bloke actually fits into our team, with the personnel we have available?

He exerted zero influence yesterday until they were 3-0 up, then they let him float in and shoot from harmless distances.

Wolves simply got stuck into him and gave him no time or space. If he demonstrated any potential as a support striker/central player - the opposition would simply do the same thing as Wolves did. This is Wolves- not Inter Milan.

With one in front of him with this squad - he has no one to pass to.

With two in front of him with this squad - we end up overwhelmed defensively

Surround him with Maschareno, Gerrard, Essien, etc - and he may be affordable. But it's Kovac and Noble.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Chaps

I watched him in his debut against Birmingham reserves at the Boleyn and pointed out his flaws -all of which were obvious after watching for no more than half an hour . Got slaughtered on this board for putting the boot in so early but sometimes you just call it as you see it .

A luxury player with a sweet left foot for dead ball situations , but where do you play him in our team ?

If the reported 6m euro fee is true , a quite appalling piece of business .
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

He either needs to be one of the front two or dropped for the sake of the team. We have to concentrate on the defence, we can't ship 2 or 3 goals every game and expect to get anything. 7 games to go, we might as well target as many 0-0s as we can.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

the pink palermo wrote:If the reported 6m euro fee is true , a quite appalling piece of business .
Doyle went for something similar.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He has his moments but is heavily dependent on the team being set up a certain way to be personally effective.

He seems to be at his most effective late in games when the opposition are already 2 or 3 goals up.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

bubbles1966 wrote:He has his moments but is heavily dependent on the team being set up a certain way to be personally effective.

He seems to be at his most effective late in games when the opposition are already 2 or 3 goals up.

He is at the right place then!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

People moan at him because he runs down the wing, cuts in and loses the ball. He does this because he isn't a winger, who is being played on the wing. It's not hard to work out is it?

He will continue to do this while he is played in a position he shouldn't be played in.

The only time he will flourish in this position is when the opposition give him time and space. I can't believe at least 50% of you find this so hard to realise.
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:People moan at him because he runs down the wing, cuts in and loses the ball. He does this because he isn't a winger, who is being played on the wing. It's not hard to work out is it?

He will continue to do this while he is played in a position he shouldn't be played in.

The only time he will flourish in this position is when the opposition give him time and space. I can't believe at least 50% of you find this so hard to realise.
I realise it. He should play in the hole picking up the scraps on the edge of the box.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:People moan at him because he runs down the wing, cuts in and loses the ball. He does this because he isn't a winger, who is being played on the wing. It's not hard to work out is it?

I think part of that issue is that we have no wingers.
With that in mind, it makes some sense to use a player with his excellent delivery in that role. But it only makes sense if he is on the left wing
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

I can't make him out. Was excellent against Brum but last night looked off his game.
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

He is a trequartista
Wiki - The second striker position is a loosely-defined and often misapplied one somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he is a target-man or more of a poacher, and the Number 10 or Trequartista, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a coined term, the "nine-and-a-half", has been an attempt to define the position. Conceivably, a Number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he is also a prolific goalscorer, otherwise a striker who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre forward is more suited.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

He ignores the simple pass time and time again, he will only play simple if a hollywood ball isn't on!! He engineers everything so he is at the forefront of every move, he waits and waits and is eventually crowded out. Martello you have to realise that he isn't that good. We bought him from a Serie B side, the standard of Italian football has detiorated over the years bar 4 or 5 teams in Serie A he is 26/27 years old approaching the prime/peak of his career. If he were that good he'd be else where. Diamante has played up top, on each wing and has flattered to deceive everywhere. The players that have come in have taken the club back 2 years they've been that poor.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

He was useless last night for every decent ball/shot he has he makes a half dozen wasted passes, erratic distance shots and powder puff tackles.
joyful

Post by joyful »

I have reluctantly concluded that a Diamanti (def) is
a player only interested in contributing enough seconds of flair play or false passion to make sure he impresses armchair viewers of edited highlights. Also known as a "you tuber"
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

It's also easy for him to look fairly good in a team like ours which is devoid of creativity. He is:

- Slow
- Predictable
- Powder puff
- Gets 1 in 5 shots on target
- Lazy

The only thing he is fairly good at is dead ball situations...
Last edited by Mike420 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr SouthLondon

Post by Mr SouthLondon »

****ing love you Dia

Take into consideration hes playing out of position for us.

His tekkers is sublime, vision sublime, attitude sublime. He'd look alot better if the team was playing well

I got a special place in my heart for Diamanti.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Martello , we all know where he shouldn't be played . Again thats the Managers incompetence .

The question of where or if he should play at all is what most of us ask .

The role described - the 9 1/2 or so called may suit him in namby pamby girly Italian second division football but he ain't good enough to do that job in the quicker paced more physical PL .His one footedness would undo his contribution .

He's an option to have on the bench if chasing a game 1-0 down . Thats it .

Should not be starting .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

joyful wrote:I have reluctantly concluded that a Diamanti (def) is
a player only interested in contributing enough seconds of flair play or false passion to make sure he impresses armchair viewers of edited highlights. Also known as a "you tuber"
Yep, Diamanti must look class on MOTD, for sure

Really is quite **** though :evil:

He is not worth having on the pitch imo. The bad is starting to massively outweigh the good
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Chuck...

Fair point...but it would be frustrating to play in a position which isn't working for you, when things are going wrong for the team. I had to play left back once, and hated it. The team were playing sh*t...we lost about 13-3. I did indeed try my best, but I played awful, and yes, was pretty frustrated that I could not play in my proper position...I'd be annoyed if I was slated for my bad performance in an unfamiliar position though.

I take your points...his loss of concentration and determination is disappointing. He does need to indeed grow up a bit. But don't you even see my point of playing him is his proper position at all? IF and that's a big IF...he plays there, and continues to play badly...then you are clearly right, and he is no good for this league. But until then, I don't think that can be decided.
Of course I can, being played out of position doesnt help your performance - for sure.

What I think you are finally coming to terms with is that I am not critiquing him soley for playing less effectively (which he could be forgiven for by his being out of position). My biggest bugbear with him is the unprofessional way in which he goes about it. The rolling on the floor, the waving arms, the poor choice of outcome when he has the ball. Something that any player of his age should know isnt on.

When - ala Di Canio - you are scoring for fun, rippining it out of players, and winning games for your team, people - not me, but most people - will forgive your petulance. Not when (whether you are being played in your correct position or no) you arent cutting it at all. he is still being handsomely rewarded for playing, and its you and me (and others) who ae paying his wages. Lets not lose sight of that either.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:If the reported 6m euro fee is true , a quite appalling piece of business .
QuintonNimoy wrote: Doyle went for something similar.
As much as I don't think Doyle was the right signing for Wolves- simply because he won't get you the goals. He is a decent player who's allround game far exceeds Diamanti imo. Diamanti is a one trick pony who has a poor engine. Nothing more
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.