Euro 2012 qualifiers - who to retain from current squad

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kent Bubble Blower

Re: Euro 2012 qualifiers - who to retain from current squad

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

I am law wrote:Glen Johnson is not an international class full back imho.
:thup:
At the moment I'd have to agree. Thought he was ****ing shocking this campaign.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Our midfield was crying out for a Scott Parker yesterday. The Oezil wouldn't have been half as good if he'd been bullied even just a little. England should be going back to basics for upcoming tournaments.

I would pick our strongest and quickest players and just try and overrun the opposition with power, because if we try and compete with anyone technique wise, we look ****. I love the beautiful game and want football to be played on the floor but quite honestly, you do what works for your players and ours are brought up with the idea that physique is of upmost importance.

Hart

Onuoha, Micah, Dawson, Shawcross, Gibbs

Cattermole (even though I despise him), Huddlestone, Milner, Johnson, Rodwell, Young

Rooney (maybe), Agbonlahor, any big strong strikers we have. Carlton, Bent, Crouch.

All strong, powerful, quick.

We should literally play as Aston Villa do. Direct, wide, energetic football, often unpretty but teams hate playing against that kind of style. Get the ball quickly and constantly down the wings, wingers getting to the byline and crossing. Rooney scored most of his goals with his head last season and we dont have a single winger in the squad who can cross a ball. Capello seems a bit thick to have ignored this rather important statistic.
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

I think that Upson, James, Carra, Heskey and King should all be dropped from the next squad. I doubt we will ever see Beckham come back from his injury either.

More important than the players is the fact that Capello should still be in the job in 2 years time. I see little sense in giving him the elbow. Who are we going to replace him with? Rednapp? :lol:

The main criticism of Capello is:

1. That he is too rigid in his tactics, only ever playing 442 (the same can be said of baggy)
2. That he tried to exploit his position to make money with the Capello index (Has no one seen them wii adverts!! Plus you have to remember his son whoring himself on TV every two seconds)
3. That he is a strict disciplinarian (will change a lot under uncle Arry but I fail to see that as a good thing)
4. Over reliance on the same old underperforming faces (again this is Uncle Arry we are talking about)
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

fjthegrey: no offense brother but..........

Headbanger Headbanger Headbanger
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

England v Hungary

---------------------Hart--------------------
Johnson-----Rio----Dawson----Cole
------Huddlestone--Gerrard-----------
Milner---------J Cole----------A Johnson
-----------------Rooney---------------------
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Morocco Mole wrote:fjthegrey: no offense brother but..........

Headbanger Headbanger Headbanger
The future is bleak my man, we've got very little to look forward to. Why bother trying to play nice intricate passing football when we have never been able to.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

fjthegrey wrote: The future is bleak my man, we've got very little to look forward to. Why bother trying to play nice intricate passing football when we have never been able to.
In case you hadn't noticed England has been playing the 'high tempo', Premiership style of football for the last 20 years....
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

England were not playing high tempo, direct, energetic football at any point during the last 4 matches. Nor did they at the 2006 world cup either.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

fjthegrey wrote:Our midfield was crying out for a Scott Parker yesterday. The Oezil wouldn't have been half as good if he'd been bullied even just a little.
It's the little things that we do so so wrong.

No holding midfielder.
No left footed midfielder.
Lennon and SWP - you need to take their finger prints to tell them apart ffs.
****ing HESKEY
Carragher.
No alternate RB.
Gerrard and Lampard in the same team.

It's quite simple really. Firstly, you pick a formation. 4-4-2, 4-3-3, I don't really give a f*** which, try both if you really want. Then you pick the players to fit that formation. A left footer on the left. Right footer on the right. Centre mids in the middle. Balance is the key - if you have wide players that cut in a lot then you need attacking full backs. If you have attacking full backs then you need a holding midfielder that'll sit back. Blah blah blah we've been here before haven't we?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

There are some players that are great at club level, but just not International class. I think we have many that just dont perform at this level. Its not always about picking your best players, sometimes its the players who just fit in and play well for the country. But while we continue to pick the egos, whatever their form, we will fall far, far behind all these other nations.

I look at teams like the USA, Ghana, Japan etc who are not better than us on paper but for what they lack in quality they make up for in effort, team work and passion for their country. We lack all of these qualities.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

fjthegrey wrote:England were not playing high tempo, direct, energetic football at any point during the last 4 matches. Nor did they at the 2006 world cup either.
Then we've been watching different teams fella.... :lol:
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

I guess so. The last energetic England performance in a tournament was some time ago however.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

THE GIBBINS wrote:I look at teams like the USA, Ghana, Japan etc who are not better than us on paper but for what they lack in quality they make up for in effort, team work and passion for their country. We lack all of these qualities.
Slightly unfair on Ghana who have a lot of talented players. Weaker teams have the simple expedient of being able to defend for most of a game holding onto a point whereas England have the thankless task of having to break these teams down. Germany weren't exactly expansive - they were set up to counter attack. If England had set up like them Rooney would have met Klose in the centre circle and that would have been it. There's more at play than just these basics, I think perhaps England overdid the aggression and even then if the referee hadn't intervened it would have been an even contest.