Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Avram Grant & Tal Ben Haim: should they be granted permission to miss the Stoke game?

Yes
64%
No
31%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 519

Charle Hammer

Re: Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

Post by Charle Hammer »

I see a clip of Grant being interviewed on Sky Sports, I think it was after the Chelsea game, it was before it was offiially announced on the OS. Grant was being asked about whether or not he will be at the Stoke game due to Yom Kippur and I'm positive he said he was NOT a religeous man, I can not find this anywhere.
Did anyone else see this?
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

I think a lot of people here are treating this as if Grant's pulling a sickie. Like he's using this as an excuse to miss the game. The bottom line is that Yom Kippur clearly means a lot to him. Otherwise he'd be at the game.

The way I look at it, Yom Kippur is so important to him that he is prepared to miss the Stoke game. Simple as that.

A lot of people here seem to be interprating this as West Ham is so unimportant to him that he's taking a cheeky
day off.

Considering the number of times I turned up at an away game up and didn't see Di Canio or Kanoute on the team sheet for appartnely no reason at all, I think I'll let AG have this one.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Considering the number of times I turned up at an away game up and didn't see Di Canio or Kanoute on the team sheet for appartnely no reason at all, I think I'll let AG have this one.
Exactly. How many players on much higher wages have fancied a day indoors on the PS3, watching the Complete Police Academy boxset or waiting for a new settee to be delivered and have "tweaked" a Hammy on Friday morning?
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Interview on Sky Sports just now.

No new update. Basically he isn't going to turn on 1000's of years of tradition to attend the game and the owners understand.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Will Grant be taking a training session with Ben Haim on Christmas Day ?
Fred Poster

Post by Fred Poster »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Will Grant be taking a training session with Ben Haim on Christmas Day ?
reverse racism
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Will Grant be taking a training session with Ben Haim on Christmas Day ?
Doubt they'll make him do that to be honest. Maybe they'll just make the two of them make up the hours on their timesheet by staying late after work a couple of times next week.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

we're going to lose 3-0 or 3-1 whether he's there or not, so it doesn't really matter :?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Doubt they'll make him do that to be honest. Maybe they'll just make the two of them make up the hours on their timesheet by staying late after work a couple of times next week.
I believe most clubs either have light training or travel on Christmas Day, due to playing on Boxing Day. I know of several committed Christian players who have been given time to attend church on Christmas Day BTW if you want to rant about that. :wink:
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

So then, how often have we had a coach sitting in the stands mic'd up to the man in charge on the touch line? Just a coincidence or was Uncle Avi doing a sneaky, thus keeping his jewish reputation intact and also fulfilling his managerial obligations.

Just seemed a little fishy to me.
AussieHammered
Location: I dont get to any games but hey you dont get to the beach!!

Post by AussieHammered »

Avram did say he wasnt religious. He was doing this out of respect for his father who diesd last year whom was in the nazi war camps and buried his own parents with his bare hands. He observed so he was doing it out of respect.

You cant knock that one bit.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

If that's the case then we have to accept it.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

So am i to presume that given the result and performance, those who thought Grant should be at the match now think he should be absent for more matches? :-) lol
JJB13

Post by JJB13 »

I know it's a bit late now but I think it was understandable to allow them the time off. I don't work on Christmas or Easter and would expect my employer to respect my religious beliefs (even if they did not agree with them). However, I would also be happy for both holidays to be taken out of my annual leave and would not expect it to be added onto my holiday time. This is where most jobs differ from that of a football manager.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I think we missed The Boss...

There were some glaring substitutions called for in the second half.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

I really feel for Grant over this whole Yom Kippur business. I mean, he must have been starving.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I wouldn't want to work on Christmas, and I'm not religious. So they should've been granted permission absolutely 100%!