The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

Ironworx

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Ironworx »

hadleighhammer wrote:
I think the 35,303 seat is down the pub watching it for free on some dodgy satellite probably with plenty of others who've got pissed off with the running track and numerous tourists and day trippers the OS will cater for with clappy sticks and flags, will be a better view. Still have the away games to fulfill the habit.

Also 35,302 are worse in the OS even accounting for your 'logic'. Near enough 60% of the 60k capacity. Personally they're nearly all worse as they're all further than pretty much any seat in the Boleyn as per Barlimanrob's good little shot. How many occasions this season have we needed a 35,303 seat?
Some more logic:

The Boleyn is a compact ground, therefore if we were to move to more or less any higher capacity ground the seats would almost certainly be further away.

Surely then the correct comparison to draw is the closeness of the seats compared to other premiership grounds that have higher capacities than the Boleyn, how far compared to Villa Park ? How far compared to St James' Park ? How far compared to The Emirates ? Eastlands ? Anfield ? Old Trafford ? etc.

But even then we can't draw any definite conclusions because we don't yet know for certain how close the nearest seats will be at the Olympic Stadium.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

[quote="Ironworx"]

But even then we can't draw any definite conclusions because we don't yet know for certain how close the nearest seats will be at the Olympic Stadium.[/quot

As far away as they are now.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Ironworx wrote:But even then we can't draw any definite conclusions because we don't yet know for certain how close the nearest seats will be at the Olympic Stadium.
Like you, I'd love to receive this information, but given that logic seems it is unlikely to set any minds at rest, the club don't seem too keen on releasing it.
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

EvilC wrote:Like you, I'd love to receive this information, but given that logic seems it is unlikely to set any minds at rest, the club don't seem too keen on releasing it.
I don't suppose it's known yet, last I read tenders were being invited, I suppose until somebody comes back with a we can do this it's going to remain ??????

I think it most unlikely that something won't be done on the track area.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

This move will turn our fanbase into that of Chelsea's something I cannot stomach.
Yeah we may attract some priced out fans but we will lose alot of our most loyal support as well.
We will have foreign day trippers everywhere, some may welcome that, but for me that kills the atmosphere, not too mention thousands of away fans taking the piss.
But alot seem to gamble on the fact that we will suddenly be successful :/.
I'd take West Ham in League One playing infront on a hardcore than over playing their infront of a crowd of allsorts of day-trippers and the like.
Athletics Stadium?
Running Track?
You can stick it up your arse.
Away days are the future for West Ham.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

We're going and there's nothing you can do about it....

Fall in and follow the party line...

(Nurnburg defence ??)
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Anything new? No? Thought not, this thread should be renamed the Groundhog Day thread, it just keeps repeating itself :lol:
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Hammer110 wrote:Anything new? No? Thought not, this thread should be renamed the Groundhog Day thread, it just keeps repeating itself :lol:
Like a bad curry

However I would like to point out that they really seem to have a good atmosphere at the Berlin Olympic Stadium.
Monkey Spanner

Post by Monkey Spanner »

HarrowInnHammer wrote: I'd take West Ham in League One playing infront on a hardcore than over playing their infront of a crowd of allsorts of day-trippers and the like.
Dear oh ****ing dear.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Yeah we may attract some priced out fans but we will lose alot of our most loyal support as well.

"Loyal" does not mean what you seem to think it mean...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Ironworx wrote:I don't suppose it's known yet, last I read tenders were being invited, I suppose until somebody comes back with a we can do this it's going to remain ??????

I think it most unlikely that something won't be done on the track area.
How about they let us know how close the existing seats are? It would be a start.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Monkey Spanner wrote:
Dear oh f***ing dear.
What people fail to realise is that we all have our own reasons for getting off our arses , shelling out a fair few quid to actively support the club. Many will decide to stop going to games if their matchday experience is no longer something they enjoy. For many, loyalty can only be pushed so far. I have always said that I will give the OS a chance, however if I find that I am no longer enjoying going to a game, then I will stop going...no matter if we are Champions League or Championship.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

apparently, there will only be retractable seating behind the goals if it can be afforded not along the side. if the seating can not be afforded or worked out then behind both goals will be closed off to fans. there will be no reconfigaration of seats they may lose some if they put in bigger screens obviously they will lose some when boxes are put in.
If relegated and no return to the prem takes place i cant imagine the club putting in the seating behind the goals , just not cost worthy
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The single tier in the new Spurs stadium design looks awesome.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

mywhufc wrote:apparently, there will only be retractable seating behind the goals if it can be afforded not along the side. if the seating can not be afforded or worked out then behind both goals will be closed off to fans. there will be no reconfigaration of seats they may lose some if they put in bigger screens obviously they will lose some when boxes are put in.
If relegated and no return to the prem takes place i cant imagine the club putting in the seating behind the goals , just not cost worthy

Sounds likely, but where did you get this from?
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

How much would a bank of retractable seats cost behind each goal. We aren't talking solid structures, Macano at best...

Baring in mind that the Doc Martins Stand cost us best part of 20 million and that was a complete stand. Do you get anything for your money these days???
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I had a dream last night where behind each goal was a bank of terraces. The stadium was rockin' and we looked like some funky version of the Millenium Stadium

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:How much would a bank of retractable seats cost behind each goal. We aren't talking solid structures, Macano at best...

Baring in mind that the Doc Martins Stand cost us best part of 20 million and that was a complete stand. Do you get anything for your money these days???
Mr Andersonn, out of simple curiosity, why are 44 of your 46 posts exclusively about the OS?
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

WCPete

Simple really... For me there is not much I can add to the comments about the players, manager, match threads that people haven't already gone over time and time again. It's so god damn frustrating watching this bunch of massively overpaid under achievers who don't particularly give a toss about the club. And I don't have the time to trawl through every subject and make comment on here.

The Olympic Stadium is a great distraction for me I believe it will take the club forward.
Saying that, I sat in the east stand on Saturday for the first time in years and would equally love the club to knock it down and develop our own stadium in order to house 45,000 fans.

But what is done is done and we move on... Simples.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:WCPete

Simple really... For me there is not much I can add to the comments about the players, manager, match threads that people haven't already gone over time and time again. It's so god damn frustrating watching this bunch of massively overpaid under achievers who don't particularly give a toss about the club. And I don't have the time to trawl through every subject and make comment on here.

The Olympic Stadium is a great distraction for me I believe it will take the club forward.
Saying that, I sat in the east stand on Saturday for the first time in years and would equally love the club to knock it down and develop our own stadium in order to house 45,000 fans.

But what is done is done and we move on... Simples.
Got it. Was just curious. As you were.