Crystal Palace 2 v West Ham Utd 2 (01/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irons80

Re: Pub's for Palace

Post by Irons80 »

Spoons at Norwood Jct is the best place COYI :)
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Romford wrote:
What pubs would you go to at the BG if the game wasn't on ??
While the game wasn't on?? I thought we were talking about matchday pubs?

I wouldn't go in the Wetherspoons there like I wouldn't go in the Boleyn or the Queens, especially with 4500 going over. I prefer my pubs moderate-busy rather than elbow to elbow and a half hour wait at the bar. It's the same as not drinking this side of the river for Fulham or getting in the Pickwick at Charlton early before they turn away fans away.

Each to their own but sorry, I've never found it decent drinking over Selhurst.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Just had a look, is it the William Stanley that's a Wetherspoons pub we're on about?
riksdodgydeals

Post by riksdodgydeals »

have i made a mistake getting a train ticket to selhurst? there's going to be bugger all
Faded & Dead

Post by Faded & Dead »

Romford wrote: Well at Selhurst there is the Railway club for starters...dirt cheap.

Come out at Norwood Jct and walk past the Spoons and you have The Ship and The Jolly Sailor on the right. You also have the Conservative Club you can blag into.

On the walk to the ground there is the Victory club...again another social club but we always get in.
:thup: Jolly Sailor - thanks for the reminder, sun shining, big beer garden and as I recall fit barmaids. That's where we'll be.
ricko

Re: Crystal Palace FC v West Ham United - match thread

Post by ricko »

----------------------------Green

Demel------Tomkins---------Faye------McCartney

----------------------------O'brien

----------------------------Noble

---Faubert--------------Nolan----------------Taylor

----------------------------Cole
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

At least if their left back scores I can claim that somone that played for my youth side notched against my beloved Hammers. He is a facebook friend (whatever that is) to my eldest.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

BSB1 wrote:While the game wasn't on?? I thought we were talking about matchday pubs?

I wouldn't go in the Wetherspoons there like I wouldn't go in the Boleyn or the Queens, especially with 4500 going over. I prefer my pubs moderate-busy rather than elbow to elbow and a half hour wait at the bar. It's the same as not drinking this side of the river for Fulham or getting in the Pickwick at Charlton early before they turn away fans away.

Each to their own but sorry, I've never found it decent drinking over Selhurst.
I would say Selhurst has better pubs near it than our place...that was my point.

I prefer my boozers to be totally empty..thats why you never see me at an away pub unless im picking up tickets or meeting someone. Ask those who went to my pub before the Wall game.

I agree about Fulham but there's an even better option the right side of the river that i use for Chelsea aswell....i might tell you if you ever get me drunk enough ! 8-)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Just had a look, is it the William Stanley that's a Wetherspoons pub we're on about?
Yep...counted as South Norwood.

Good Luck getting served !! :shock:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BSB1 wrote:Each to their own but sorry, I've never found it decent drinking over Selhurst.
There's nothing spectacular about The Ship, but it serves a decent enough pint, iirc.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Yep...counted as South Norwood.

Good Luck getting served !!
I prefer to be able to get a drink before the game, saw that you mentioned the Jolly Sailor, might give that a go, I'm getting dropped off near the ground so going to have a trot down to the high street :thup:
dimagician10

Post by dimagician10 »

Sam has stated on the OS that there are injury concerns for O'Brien, Reid & Taylor. Plus Demel or Diop havn't started a game yet.

I'd imagine it'll be Sam's 433. If no Taylor then Bentley & Faubert out wide for me.
cocoon
Location: sarth london...Im gonna walk down to electric Avenue..then Im gonna get mugged..Oi

Post by cocoon »

The jolly sailor has changed hands since we were last in town a bunch of Chinesse run the gaff now with a few hundred living upstairs so not sure if as good as before

Considering the weather the ship has a beer garden if memory serves me right also the portmanor has been packed out with hammers before which is right of the jolly just past under the bridge plus you have a little outside area

Spoons might be a sweat box if you ask me not my kind of thing....

After game I would as mentioned hit palace parade while in town some very good base up that was and only short walk to palace train station and overground

The Cambridge has thankfully closed down
DIGGERDAGGER24

Post by DIGGERDAGGER24 »

the flora sands at thornton heath any good?
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

The personnel may not be ready this match, but eventually I'd like to see O'Brien given a go in midfield, as he was in pre-season. I think he's got a little more pace and dynamism than the alternative defensively-minded options. I'd be inclined to go for him, Noble and Nolan, with Nolan doing little other than orchestrating/captaining, and turning up in the right place at the right time. Noble can play the deep-lying, passing role and O'Brien can be the legs.

Demel at RB for me.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I'd like to see O'Brien in midfield, but what I don't get, if he was brought in to play midfield, then why did we let Spence go without another right back? Unless O'Brien was seen as a temporary right back until we brought one in?

Green
Demel Reid Tomkins McCartney
O'Brien
Noble
Faubert Nolan Taylor
Cole

Subs: Boffin, Carew, Faye, Baldock, Bentley

Baldock to be put on for McCartney or Demel in the second half, and net the winner, 1-0 grinded out result, the West Ham way! :raver:
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Maybe we already had our iron in the Demel and Diop fires and gambled on getting at least one of the two.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

the pink palermo wrote:I reckon he will go 4-5-1, with Collison coming in for Lansbury in Sam's preferred line up . Faye will be rested, not dropped .
Personally can't see him dropping Lansbury for Collison - totally different players. Prefer Lansbury to play away from home, tought tackler, offers more going forward.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Just out of interest, if you think Henri's better defensively and attacking, what is Collison better at?
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Sod that! drinking in Croydon then getting the train one stop to Norwood and walking.

Porter and Sorter at E Croydon Station