Crystal Palace 2 v West Ham Utd 2 (01/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Crystal Palace FC v West Ham United - match thread

Post by m-h »

Romford wrote: Its boring, its cowardly and most seriously...its not bloody working Headbanger
Its called 50 million quid for the club and a 1 million quid bonus for the manager. Like it or not, which i don't.
But it is what is...............

Lets cuddle up a little closer to Le'Arse and Citeh while we're at it.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

Had a cracking day out in the sunshine (make the most of it!) and an easy trip down via a lovely old pub in Clapham Junction. Thornton Heath hasn't changed much since I went there last, but no different to the Barking Road really!
Decent enough game which we should have got more out of. Still crying out for Baldock to play up front with Cole, and maybe with PBD in the team, we may just get that. Diop was immense I thought, however, this combined with another stand out performance from Faubert, covered up some inept stuff elsewhere. Bentley. I now understand why he wasn't starting at the filth. He's not very good is he. Young Jack really wasn't in the game either was he? However, that apart I nearly had some kind of major fit when people started booing Cole. What is the matter with some people. So message to those guilty..you mugs, f*** off somewhere else, you ain't required.
I can only think that the number of tickets available enticed some of the home crowd only tossers to show up. What a bunch of total no-marks.

Thought the support otherwise was generally decent especially in the first half. However, the Palace gayboys jumping about holding hands made me chuckle. Noisy, but what on earth were they singing about?
How hot was it in the lower part of that stand! I ended up going back up the steps and stealing one of our lot's hat. It will be the only time you will see me in SI....:)
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Their "atmosphere" - by that I mean the pack of lads down in the corner - was so cringeworthy. I know everywhere people go they slag off the home sides atmosphere, but really, what was all that about?! Singing that "ohhohhohhhh" stuff, trying to replicate what they do on the continent. It was so orchestrated. Two songs after scoring a goal?! The singing instructor (the bloke with the mic), "goal scored by Darren Ambrose. DARREN" and the crowd shouting the players surname.

I know they have the best interests at heart - create a noise and atmosphere, which is so lacking in the modern British game - but the way they went about it was frankly embarrassing. Don't get me started on the drum.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I think we were in total control at half time and we came out and did a West Ham of recent years in that we just never got going.

We became more and more sloppy in possession, gave a terrible goal away and started hoofing it as a minor panic set in. The cretins who will boo anything started and general frustration took over and the booing started at every mistake. Fortunately Sam made a good double substitution and we recovered.

I personally think the booing is pathetic when we are one goal down, but for once I could understand the frustration as we were losing control of a game we were way on top in and it was all self inflicted. Palace had nothing to do with it.

Fortunately we got the equaliser and finished pretty strongly - an encouraging sign. To be a goal down away from home twice and pick up a point is a point gained.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Had a terrific day out on Saturday. First time at Selhurst Park and I enjoyed it, at last a football ground that breaths football instead of the Arsenal's etc.

Diop had a very good game, something we missed in midfield and there should be absolute no doubt that he should be in the starting line up. He ties up the midfield and scares the **** out the opponent. If he's in the side Tomkins and Faye don't have to come at first attempt for a GK for example, that should not be underestimated as well.
Despite the good game of Diop, Tomkins was my MOTM though, did not put a foot wrong in the whole match and stays composed all the time. Faubert had a good first half but Palace did their homework at half time and neutralised our right side completely in the second half. And the second Palace goal demonstrated the risk of playing Faubert at RB: he got caught out of position for their goal. Though, this is the way to boss the game: send our full backs forwards and cross it into the box.

Our 'wingers' didn't do their job properly though. I really don't get it why Bentley goes inside all the time. Ok, he creates some space for Faubert, but I would like to see it the other way round as well: Faubert going inside and Bentley sticking to the wide area. Bentley has got a really good pass/cross in him (unlike Faubert, despite a couple of good ones on Sat) but he just doesn't use it.
Collison had an off day as well. Was very unlucky in some of his actions....A pitty because I would like to see him doing well, he's exactly the sort of player we are crying out for when in form.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

GT's match report for KUMB.com:

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=101162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

the pink palermo wrote:Proph

I agree Diop shored us up yesterday , and Noble may be under threat .

An option for Sam could be

------------------------------------------------Green-------------------------------------------

JoB---------------------Faye------------------Tomkins----------------McCartney

-------------------------------------------Diop-------------------------------------------------

Faubert------------Nolan--------------------------Noble--------------------Taylor

----------------------------------------Cole-----------------------------------------------
I reckon that will be Sam's favoured formation, and arguably our best line up at this point in time

Whether it is Diop, O'Brien, Faye even, he'll want a more defensive player than Noble in front of the back 4
Then it's 2 from Nolan, Noble, Collison, Lansbury to make up the middle 3
It'll also allow him to go 4-4-2, with Nolan having a very solid partner in the middle
I know the emphasis is on us, in this division, to attack and break teams down, but by having the insurance policy of a player like Diop in front of the back 4 it allows the more attacking players further forwards
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Fantastic news to hear how Papa played - with any luck this will lead to an extended absence for Noble and a partner for Carlton.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

southendmadhammer wrote:Fantastic news to hear how Papa played - with any luck this will lead to an extended absence for Noble and a partner for Carlton.

Unbelieveable. Headbanger
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Why so?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I didn't see the game, but judging on the comments that our fullbacks were bombing forward, it could be an option it play a narrow midfield, using wingbacks

Almunia
Faubert-Tomkins-Reid-Taylor
Diop
Noble-Collison
Nolan
Baldock-Cole
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

Not read the whole thread as it's too long.
My thoughts on the game are as follows: -

Again, alot of our players didnt play to their ability. Bentley and Cole probably the worst culprits
Again, MaCartney is not the player that left us to go to Sunderland. That fella really cannot cross a ball anymore.
The positives were Diop, Faye, Tomkins, Faubert (which says it all really)

That stand is a ****ing ****hole, how it passes health and safety laws baffles me. They had the cheek to sell stuff at half time even though you physically couldnt get on to the concourse to purchase it! £30 quid for that stand is a bit of a piss take really.

Their support was pretty decent, they made a fair bit of a noise for a home side. You cannot moan about teams making no noise and then when you do still slate them, however sad some of their stuff was.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

hammer_lad wrote:Not read the whole thread as it's too long.
My thoughts on the game are as follows: -

Again, alot of our players didnt play to their ability. Bentley and Cole probably the worst culprits
Again, MaCartney is not the player that left us to go to Sunderland. That fella really cannot cross a ball anymore.
The positives were Diop, Faye, Tomkins, Faubert (which says it all really)

That stand is a f***ing ****hole, how it passes health and safety laws baffles me. They had the cheek to sell stuff at half time even though you physically couldnt get on to the concourse to purchase it! £30 quid for that stand is a bit of a piss take really.

Their support was pretty decent, they made a fair bit of a noise for a home side. You cannot moan about teams making no noise and then when you do still slate them, however sad some of their stuff was.
You are Ginge Durham and I claim my £5 :lol:
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

Dan1326 wrote:
You are Ginge Durham and I claim my £5 :lol:
as i aint got a danny la rue what you are on about, go on.........................
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

Complaining about ticket prices at away grounds :lol:
Bedshammer

Post by Bedshammer »

I agree with previous commence about the concourse. It really was congested.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

had a crackiong day out and thanks for the pub advice, although Romford and his crew left just as we got there, for some reason!

We were in The Ship, and was fairly full of palace fans with no hint of any trouble - apart from all of us dying of thirst when waiting the 15 mins each round for a drink at the bar! Thought the Plod were really over the top- kept coming in really giving people the eye, then in "did-i-just-see-that-moment" went behind the bar carrying bottles of cider to remonstrate with the pub owner for letting glass bottles over the other side of the bar ( they were all sposed to be poured into plastic glasses etc), and then shutting the pub at 2pm and forcing a drinking up time and not allowing people to double up on orders.

Now you could argue that the pub owner was his own worst enemy on saturday with dippy useless bar staff, no system, no empties you name it, but i'd say they could have doubled their sales if they had made a bit of an effort, however I have some sympathy with them being frankly victimised by the OB- I had a quiet word with the droopy tashed OB afterwards and asked him why on a sunny day in a pub with everyone having a nice time, kids there too, watching the football etc, no hint of any trouble they have to treat everyone like ****ing simpletons and as if the ICF and 'wall have just met up...he then started saying "if youve seen what a glass can do to someones face blah blah blah" and accusing me of being drunk, which I told him was ****ing impossible given how long I had to wait for a drink in there, thanks to him and his like and that if he thinks this is what community policing is about what about the "local" chap who was behind me in the queue for the cashpoint on the high street who was casually rolling a joint up for ten minutes? He then started fingering his truncheon and I'd had enough too, but really.. the continued victimisation of yer average white working class male activity ie. footie fags and boozing continues unabated. !! GRRRRRRRR! :crest:

The c**** booing Cole should go and support another club, too!
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Anything about the game W4? :lol:
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

hammer_lad wrote: Again, MaCartney is not the player that left us to go to Sunderland. That fella really cannot cross a ball anymore..
Didn't his crosses create both goals?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammer_lad wrote: Again, MaCartney is not the player that left us to go to Sunderland. That fella really cannot cross a ball anymore.
:?